Hickory Hills Fun Shoot Episodes 4 and 5: Return of the Dead-eye Parts 1 and 2

Author Topic: Hickory Hills Fun Shoot Episodes 4 and 5: Return of the Dead-eye Parts 1 and 2  (Read 2165 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
Hey Joe, it looks like rain for most of the day tomorrow. Will we be able to shoot from the covered area if that's the case? I ask because it would save us the trouble of bringing a shooting bench if we are shooting from the picnic tables under the tent area.

Yeap, we'll be able to shoot from under the canopy. It'll probably be easier than setting up new tents and I won't be any help from a physical standpoint anyway. I over did it re-attaching a flange at work and have been getting headaches all week. Hanging out at the range is just what the doctor ordered, but I won't be able to any lifting.
  • Illinois

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
Bummer about the forecast - lets hope we get a break and can shoot some. I am thinking of bringing a few of my extra airguns. I am always looking to sell or trade - usually to finance the next purchase :) Also - I got my missus to agree to come along too - she is  a pretty good shot!

Bring them! I've got a couple I'm looking to trade/sell, and I know there is going to be at least one attendee who won't have her own rifle. I'm not sure if she could be convinced to buy one, but at least we can start to get her hooked!
  • Illinois

Offline kev92411

• Shooter
  • yes
Had a good time at the fun shoot today - Thanks Joe for organizing it! Also thanks to Jerry and Steve for letting me try their airguns. I shot my first Daystate today and Jerry let me try his modded Maximus - it opened up my eyes up to possible upgrades for my own Maximus. Thanks also to Ben for the trout, it was delicious.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:22:44 PM by kev92411 »
  • morris

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
It was great meeting you and Darla today too Kevin. Likewise to Steve and the two Bens.  ;D
Except for the wind, we lucked out with some really nice weather too. Thanks again to Joe for hosting it, and Ben for the excellent trout. That trout was addicting, good thing he brought A LOT!
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
If you haven't marked your turf yet (GTA member map), please do. No registration, just enter zip code and board name.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock
P17 - (my wife's)
2240 - Won it at Matt's (Shaky Sarge) fun shoot

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
I took a bunch of pictures but managed to delete them on accident. Just imagine photos of people having fun with air rifles.
  • Illinois

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
ALL: I have to CANCEL the second fun shoot. Some health problems have come up and it's not clear that I'll be able to host come the end of September. Seeing as how there are folks who may have seen this post and not commented, if there is someone who you think would be going but isn't represented here, please contact them. I would hate to have someone show up on the Saturday only to find a closed range.
  • Illinois

Offline mobilemail

• GTA Senior Contributor
Thanks for posting the update. I hope all goes well for you!
  • Greene County IL 62016
Hey Daystate, FX, Air Arms and BSA - we need those left handed rifles!!!

Offline kev92411

• Shooter
  • yes
Hope all is well Joe
  • morris

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Hope all is well Joe

Yes. I hope things are getting better for you.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
If you haven't marked your turf yet (GTA member map), please do. No registration, just enter zip code and board name.

Gamo Hornet .177
P17 - (my wife's)

Offline Whome1525

• Shooter
Doing better Joe?
  • IL

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Doing better Joe?

Yeah, any improvement?
  • NW suburbs of Chicago

Gamo Hornet .177
P17 - (my wife's)

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
Doing better Joe?

Yeah, any improvement?

I am improving, but it's suuuuuuper slow.

I'm at the point where I can walk around the apartment with confidence, but I'm not sure I could walk further an about 40 meters in one go! We've been visiting a bunch of different doctors and were almost done with the local guys (I think). If we exhaust the resources around here without getting an answer I may go up to the mayo clinic near Minneapolis for a week. But, that's just speculation at this point, there's still a couple of people left to visit and pick their brains.

I started working again, but only from home and we put a limit at two hours a day for now. I can do more than that as long as I take a big break, but I'm also not trying to run out of projects!

I've got half an eye on some really nice pcps for when I'm physically well enough to shoot, but a lot of that has to do with speculating on how long I would be capable of going to the range, but not capable of pumping my daisy. It's mostly just window shopping and day-dreaming right now. :P
  • Illinois

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
Doing better Joe?

Also, thank you both for asking, I do very much appreciate it. :)
  • Illinois

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
And holy &^^&, I just realized this is by far the longest I've gone without shooting since I picked up the bug! AAARRUUGGHHH!!!!! I can feel my trigger finger get weaker by the minute!
  • Illinois

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Glad to hear it's starting to get better Joe! It's been an issue for quite a while now (at least since August?).

Oh, and I NEVER thought you would consider getting a PCP.   :o
  • NW suburbs of Chicago

Gamo Hornet .177
P17 - (my wife's)

Offline wolverine

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
joe,

i don't know what your symptoms are, but i went through a time when i couldn't function and they initially thought i had M.S.

3 1/2 months and constant visits to different doctors finally confirmed i had contracted West Nile.

once you have it, you have it for life.  it surfaces now and again, but nothing like that initial hit.[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]keep the faith and everything will work out.[size=78%]
  • Somonauk, IL
Crosman 2240
Crosman 2260 (lefthanded)-Mountain Air tuned/UTG 4x32AO
.22 Benjamin NP2/Centerpoint 3-9X40AO
.22 Brocock Contour S6/UTG BugBuster 3-9X32AO
.22 Brocock Concept S6/Hawke Vantage 4-12X50AO/Neil
      Clague moderator   
.177 RWS 34/Leapers 4X32AO M.M. Tuned
.177 Custom Shop 2400KT /BSA Red Dot  "Avian Assassin"
.177 HW30s Deluxe/Motorhead tuned

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
Glad to hear it's starting to get better Joe! It's been an issue for quite a while now (at least since August?).

Oh, and I NEVER thought you would consider getting a PCP.   :o

It's not called the darkside for nothing :P I've learned that springers are bad for me and it also kind of seems like no one is investing the resources to make pumpers that are as accurate as the high-end PCPs. It would kind of be the rifle to end all rifles for me. But, it's still very much in the far-off idea phase. I have to build back up my savings to an acceptable level and be healthy enough to shoot before it gets any real consideration. IF I was healthy enough I would stick with my curmudgeony ways and get a pump to fill it, but there's no telling when that will be.

The very beginning was way back in spring 2016, but the worst I've ever been physically during this whole thing was the beginning of august, this year. It basically took getting so messed up that I couldn't work before the doctors got serious. To be fair, I could have been more insistent on figuring it out when I was healthier.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:03:58 PM by JoeShmoe »
  • Illinois

Offline JoeShmoe

• Plinker
joe,

i don't know what your symptoms are, but i went through a time when i couldn't function and they initially thought i had M.S.

3 1/2 months and constant visits to different doctors finally confirmed i had contracted West Nile.

once you have it, you have it for life.  it surfaces now and again, but nothing like that initial hit.[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]keep the faith and everything will work out.[size=78%]

There's kind of two components. One is a physical limitation and the other is a mental limitation. The short version is that whenever I exert myself physically, I eventually "blank-out" mentally. If I do that, the physical limit for blanking-out gets lowered and the mental limitations get worse across the board. I slowly recover afterward, with the recovery period being dependent on how much I over did it, and how healthy I was when I over did it. Mental limitation are things like low mental stamina, inability to ignore background information, and low tolerance for complicated images or sounds. Basically my brain gets worse at everything across the board.

I'm pretty sure this was all brought on by a concussion back in spring 2016, but we're at the point now where the doctors think that we're dealing with some other complication now.
  • Illinois

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: