I get my first vintage .20 cal air rifle and?

Author Topic: I get my first vintage .20 cal air rifle and?  (Read 7591 times))

Offline 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
Re: I get my first vintage .20 cal air rifle and?
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2018, 05:04:13 AM »
Try an alcohol flush? It can do wonders...

I thought about that.  I also thought I should just take it apart and clean it.  Iíve seen in a UTube these are about as simple a it can be to take apart. They have a cartridge Crosman developed that just pops out and unscrews. Crosman sells the entire unit if you just want to replace it. Below he is just replacing the old aluminum valve. They now make them out of brass, the aluminum can be problematic, even Tim says so.
Need to pop it open and see what Iíve got. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:16:18 AM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
Rifle seems to be sealing now at higher pump levels.  Iím at 8 pumps with no leaking.  I have not gone higher cause itís starting to sound too much like a gunshot in the back yard.  I think I put too much Secret Sause down the pump cup when I got it.  Took quite a few shot to get it out.  Also it couldnít have ever been shot that much so it may have needed to clear out from storage.  Iím keeping pumps in it when not in use now

Personally I will rarely go over 4 pumps. 3 is ideal for backyard fun.  8 was over 13 foot pounds if Iím after small game?  Even if it is sterioded I really have no need for it. 

Have done more target shooting with it now it is as accurate as any of my rifles.  Did a back and forth with my Crosman 108 today, seems very similar.  Not sure it beats my 1952 Diana 50, the sighting on that gun is just superior. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:41:33 PM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline regularguy11B

• Livin' the Dream
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »
Too much fluid in the valve could potentially cause valve lock, due to the higher pressure developed on each stroke, much the same as utoo many pumps could do.  I doubt it will happen because the way they are modified, it would take some serious overpressure.

I don't think I would even take a gun like that to a full charge.  The stock is so sweet, why strain it?  I am glad to hear it is sealing better.

I would still put a drop or two of secret sauce in there every day, and keep shooting it.  I'd like to see what happens when you dry fire it on a piece of paper, a foot or two from the muzzle, on just a couple of pumps.  I wanna see how bad her sinus infection is :)
  • Texas
-Bryan

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »
The Secret Sauce will only help flush out any dirt or build up that may have accumulated inside the rifle over the years. I highly doubt it would harm it.

Did you try contacting Tim McMurray to see if it is one of his?
  • Ormond by the Sea, FL, USA 🇺🇸
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
The Secret Sauce will only help flush out any dirt or build up that may have accumulated inside the rifle over the years. I highly doubt it would harm it.

Did you try contacting Tim McMurray to see if it is one of his?

I plan to but want to take a little time to see if these sealing issues clear up as they seem to be.  Then I know what I need to ask him. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:47:48 PM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Online Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Don't be standin on the tables there boys!
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »

The stock is about ergonomic perfection, there is an indent for the swell of your hand behind your thumb on the back grip that just locks it in. I have never seen that? Some may not like that feel? I see on his website he makes some with it, some without.  The stippling locks up your pumping and shooting. 

I would not hold the gun there while pumping, especially with a stock that nice and being a steroided pumper.
 Better to put your "Non-Pumping" hand grasped over the breech and bring the pump arm stroke up to it.
I have seen too many vintage pump guns with cracked / broken stocks right where you are showing.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:18:32 AM by Hoosier Daddy »
Pistols
Crosman: PC77, 1740, 1701P
Benjiman H9A

Rifles
Air Arms: S400-SL Carbine FAC
Beeman: RS2 Silver Kodiak,
Benjamin: 312, 342, 392P, 392PA, Maximus
Crosman: Genesis NP .22, Quest 1000X, Raven, 2nd & 3rd var 160's
Feinwerkbau: FWB 300S
Gamo: Recon
SAG: AR2078-B, QB58
Sheridan: C Blue Streak, C9 Blue Streak, Model F Co2
Weihrauch: HW98
Xisico: XS60C .22, Sentry 702-3 .22

Proud Member of F.U.G.L.Y.

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
^^^ Agreed!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

The stock is about ergonomic perfection, there is an indent for the swell of your hand behind your thumb on the back grip that just locks it in. I have never seen that? Some may not like that feel? I see on his website he makes some with it, some without.  The stippling locks up your pumping and shooting. 

I would not hold the gun there while pumping, especially with a stock that nice and being a steroided pumper.
 Better to put your "Non-Pumping" hand grasped over the breech and bring the pump arm stroke up to it.
I have seen too many vintage pump guns with cracked / broken stocks right where you are showing.

By Bad, When I said the stippling locks your hand I meant the stippling on the cocking arm.  I always pump using the above technique, much easier besides keeping the stock out of harms ways.  By the way is there anywhere where you can get those barrel protectors for pumping I see on the Sheridanís?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:41:14 PM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
You used to be able to get them on Gun Broker or eBay. If I remember correctly, it was the same guy selling them on both sites. But I donít see any on either site.   ???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
Just back from Airgun Show and yes now I have just above all the 20 cal. made!  Lol
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline Mackado

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2018, 03:25:43 AM »
By the way is there anywhere where you can get those barrel protectors for pumping I see on the Sheridanís?

on this recent thread here the contact email is listed on first post for the gunbroker seller...

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=144226.0
  • USA Florida
Crosman 140 pumper (third Variant)
Crosman 140 pumper (fourth variant)
Crosman 147 pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 1400 Pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 180-Co2- (Second Variant)
Sheridan Blue Streak-Pumper- 1969

Offline ddmann

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »

Yep, I have never shot the old "ashcans" but the new Benji Cylinders do quite well in all my .20s

You would be surprised at how accurate they can be.  Although for me once I shot past about 30ish feet they could vary wildly.
  • Spokane, WA

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?