Children and guns.

Author Topic: Children and guns.  (Read 2889 times))

Offline lizzie

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Children and guns.
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
Oh definitely accurate when need be! I had to use it once around the farm when the hubs was out of town.
I just don't really enjoy shooting handguns for pleasure.
  • Texas
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
As far as children and guns....
It's like with anything else.. if you don't teach your children someone else will.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama
Favorite Everyday Shooters:
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 carbine .25
Urban .22
AirMax Varmint w/ .22 CP-2 long barrel
AirMax Plinkster .177
CP1 .177 Mini Carbine
CP2 w/ .177 Varmint long barrel
XS-60C GenI .22
2-22XX Carbine HPA .177
2240 Stubby .22
Blaze NP .177
3-M/M Daisy 881
2-Mendoza RM377 .177
2-XS-12 .177
1-Hatsan 1000x .177 Carbine (Pvt. Stryker)
Various Others

AirMax Extreme MKII 4500 (for the tanks)
Vevor Basic. (for the road)
Vintage - too many to list

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »
There's a lot I could've learned from him had he not passed when I was 7.

So much knowledge of true Heroism has been lost through time and it is sad we were not able to gain that knowledge.
"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It."
My family has had many serve in the military as far back as WW 1 both grandfathers  1 Army and 1 Navy.
Also Korea and Vietnam. My father never spoke about his experience in WW II after my mother passed away I was cleaning out her condo along with tons of photo albums I came across my fathers military records. Several Purple Hearts ( he had no regard for his own safety ) when his position was over run by German tanks he took out a few with hand grenades down the hatch. My father taught me many valuable lessons when growing up the least of which was gun safety but more importantly he taught work ethic and respect of others. He also taught me an my brother that there are always consequences for all our actions.
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
From a very young age (1yr), I've taught my daughter & granddaughter about safely handling firearms & airguns.
I've also taught them that if they're were/are at a friend's house & a firearm/airgun is present, what to do. I feel it's very important for them to know what to do if one of their friends is waving around a pistol or rifle.
Just because my girls know gun safety, doesn't mean other kids do. How many stories have we all read where a child accidentally shoots a playmate.
  • Ormond by the Sea, FL, USA 🇺🇸
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline Novagun

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
"I feel it's very important for them to know what to do if one of their friends is waving around a pistol or rifle. "

Very important indeed for children and adults. It is something I have not considered probably because guns are not prominent here but there are plenty of them.
Would you please spell out what children or adults should do in the circumstances.  Flight - intervention or something else.
A good discussion will ensue, I hope.   
  • New Zealand

Offline SwampHunter

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 10:25:24 AM »
"I feel it's very important for them to know what to do if one of their friends is waving around a pistol or rifle. "

Very important indeed for children and adults. It is something I have not considered probably because guns are not prominent here but there are plenty of them.
Would you please spell out what children or adults should do in the circumstances.  Flight - intervention or something else.
My son has very clear instructions, if he is at a friends, etc. and they bring out a gun of any type without an adult present he is to ask them to put it up and if that doesn't work IMMEDIATELY he is to leave the premises first, call an adult second.
  While he is careful with his gun, he was shot by a neighborhood friend of his who was playing with a BB gun, in the leg. It hit his shin bone so while no major damage occured ( I believe it was a crosman 760) it did serve as a very painful lesson.
    Once we got the immediate situation taken care of, he and I had a talk about what happened! It served as a very seriously lesson, which could have turned out a lot worse, Truthfully with no more damage than it caused I am glad it happended, served as " real world experience " for him why you can't trust ANYONE who is careless with a gun of any type.

• N Florida

Offline Rabbit\Squirrel Killer

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »

My son has very clear instructions, if he is at a friends, etc. and they bring out a gun of any type without an adult present he is to ask them to put it up and if that doesn't work IMMEDIATELY he is to leave the premises first, call an adult second.
  While he is careful with his gun, he was shot by a neighborhood friend of his who was playing with a BB gun, in the leg. It hit his shin bone so while no major damage occured ( I believe it was a crosman 760) it did serve as a very painful lesson.
    Once we got the immediate situation taken care of, he and I had a talk about what happened! It served as a very seriously lesson, which could have turned out a lot worse, Truthfully with no more damage than it caused I am glad it happended, served as " real world experience " for him why you can't trust ANYONE who is careless with a gun of any type.

IMHO, I think that you should revise that. Make leaving the first thing. Having him ask them to put it up is allowing more time that an accident could happen in. Talk can come later when there is no gun present and adults are. That is what I told my kids. My son had a friend whose drunk dad pulled out a gun to show it off and my son ran from the premises, it is not just kids with guns that can be dangerous, adults can be too and he recognized the impairment of the adult was a danger because we had talked about it. 
  • Hemet, CA
Rabbit\Squirrel Killer :^)>
Diana K98, Diana 46 St, :) , Crosman's 2260's, 2250's, 2240's, 2289, 1300, 1377,1322, 1077's, 180, 187, 150's, 157, 130, 38C, PeaceMakers, Benjamin 130, 250, 252, 257, 347, Custom PCP .25 cal B&N breech Green Mountain barrel, Discovery based custom over40fpe for 20 shots, PRod, Maximus, Black Ops Exterminator, P08's, Gletcher NGT, '97 and '72 Sheriden Blue Streaks,'84 Sheridan Silver Streak, Sheridan E series, PPK, Colt 1911, Legends M712, B3-1 AK side levers and MORE

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

While he is careful with his gun, he was shot by a neighborhood friend of his who was playing with a BB gun, in the leg
. It hit his shin bone so while no major damage occured ( I believe it was a crosman 760) it did serve as a very painful lesson.

Exactly! It only takes a second to ask someone to put down a firearm, but be quick about it. If they don't comply, get out of there, tell an adult.
Your son learned a painful lesson, but it could have been a lot worse. I'm sure that event has been ingrained into his brain. Glad it turned out okay. Ouch!

• Ormond by the Sea, FL, USA 🇺🇸
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »

While he is careful with his gun, he was shot by a neighborhood friend of his who was playing with a BB gun, in the leg
. It hit his shin bone so while no major damage occured ( I believe it was a crosman 760) it did serve as a very painful lesson.

Exactly! It only takes a second to ask someone to put down a firearm, but be quick about it. If they don't comply, get out of there, tell an adult.
Your son learned a painful lesson, but it could have been a lot worse. I'm sure that event has been ingrained into his brain. Glad it turned out okay. Ouch!

Sometimes reactions to a question can be just enough distraction to cause someone with no training to make an error while they are responding. That is why some states don't allow young adults driving with a learners permit to have passengers in the vehicle with them.
  • Hemet, CA
Diana K98, Diana 46 St, :) , Crosman's 2260's, 2250's, 2240's, 2289, 1300, 1377,1322, 1077's, 180, 187, 150's, 157, 130, 38C, PeaceMakers, Benjamin 130, 250, 252, 257, 347, Custom PCP .25 cal B&N breech Green Mountain barrel, Discovery based custom over40fpe for 20 shots, PRod, Maximus, Black Ops Exterminator, P08's, Gletcher NGT, '97 and '72 Sheriden Blue Streaks,'84 Sheridan Silver Streak, Sheridan E series, PPK, Colt 1911, Legends M712, B3-1 AK side levers and MORE

Offline SwampHunter

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
I didn't tell him to leave first because plain and simple most of the boys I know his age aren't going to just take off running when they see a gun. Depending on where he is he is allowed to have one by himself. In my family once they are old enogh too squrril hunt by themselves and have demonstrated proper arms handling safety enough around us adults they are allowed to small game hunt with rifles on our farm.
  • N Florida

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
I didn't tell him to leave first because plain and simple most of the boys I know his age aren't going to just take off running when they see a gun. Depending on where he is he is allowed to have one by himself. In my family once they are old enogh too squrril hunt by themselves and have demonstrated proper arms handling safety enough around us adults they are allowed to small game hunt with rifles on our farm.

I agree, it does depend on how sure they can be that the friend is going to handle it safely and keep the muzzle in a safe direction. If they see anything unsafe take off, instruction, questions, and corrections can be handled later at a safe time.
  • Hemet, CA

Offline SwampHunter

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »

I agree, it does depend on how sure they can be that the friend is going to handle it safely and keep the muzzle in a safe direction. If they see anything unsafe take off, instruction, questions, and corrections can be handled later at a safe time.
Exactly 💯
  • N Florida

Offline triggertreat

• 2017 GTA Fun Shoot Winner (PCP class)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ⊙ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »

On my last trip to the range, there was a family right next to me that just moved to Nashville from IL.  The father was teaching the daughter and son to shoot an AR-15 at 100 yard silhouettes.  The kids were around 13 to 15 years of age, guessing.  The mother was just observing.  Very nice family, and the dad was complaining about IL laws, but I wasn't listening much to that with my focused shooting.

I did like seeing this family doing a family thing together and teaching their kids about guns, shooting and safety.
  • TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

22 Marauder Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., 1.36% ES, 1.58 FPE/CI
JSAR MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.  MMHF barrel
UTG compact SWAT 4-16x44 IR SFP
25 Marauder Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs:
24 Shots @ 55.94 FPE Avg., 1.96% ES, 1.49 FPE/CI
JSAR SS Valve, MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 IR FFP
357 Slayer Unregulated. Tuned using NSA 142gr:
4 shots @ 275.60 FPE Avg., 2.33% ES, 1.23 FPE/CI
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56 FFP
DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Air Venturi 4500 psi compressor
Stickman fill assembly
60 min & 30 min 4500 psi CF tanks

Click here to download a Free Spreadsheet App (New Rev 05 ver. 11-16-18)

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.