HW97--Better to buy 12ft/lb from factory??

Author Topic: HW97--Better to buy 12ft/lb from factory??  (Read 3878 times))

Offline broachoski

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: HW97--Better to buy 12ft/lb from factory??
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 10:29:17 PM »
TwiceHorn,

I understand that the AA TX 200 has a 10.5" barrel.

-Y
From Pyramyd
The TX200HC has Barrel Length   9.53"
The standard TX200MkIII has Barrel Length   13.19"
I LOVE the short barrels on the TX, HW97k and Walther LGU which has 11.81" barrel
Tony Leach on the Facebook Lost Volume group thinks 14 to 16 inches is best for efficiency when tuning .22 caliber but I don't think my LGU with 11.8" could shoot any better in my hands.
  • Centerville Texas
AA TX200 .177 (HC & MkII)
Walther LGU (.177 & .22)
Weihrauch HW97k .177 (2)
HW30s .177
HW50s .177

Offline Yogi

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
TwiceHorn,

I understand that the AA TX 200 has a 10.5" barrel.

-Y
From Pyramyd
The TX200HC has Barrel Length   9.53"
The standard TX200MkIII has Barrel Length   13.19"
I LOVE the short barrels on the TX, HW97k and Walther LGU which has 11.81" barrel
Tony Leach on the Facebook Lost Volume group thinks 14 to 16 inches is best for efficiency when tuning .22 caliber but I don't think my LGU with 11.8" could shoot any better in my hands.

Thanks for the correction. ;)
I was trying to make the point that longer barrels are not necessarily more accurate, particularly on fixed barrel springers. ::)

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22
HW 50S, .177 and/or .22

Offline ray1377

• Born to Hunt - Forced to Work
  • Marksman
  • Master of the 1000 inch shot.
  • New Albany, MS
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline TwiceHorn

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
Longer barrels only slow down a pellet in a spring powered air rifle, longer barrels add weight and length to a spring gun! The only thing a longer barrel on a spring gun does is either aides as cocking leverage for a break barrel or a longer sight radius if using iron sights, spring piston air rifles only need 10" of barrel to reach maxium velocity!!! Longer barrels create drag on pellets,  :P

Oh, no doubt, but I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't come up, for better or worse, in discussions, with someone ascribing some mythic functionality or advantage (or lack thereof) to the longer or shorter barrel.
  • Texas
Daisy 753
Daisy 747
Benji 397PA (2000)
Daisy 99 Champion (1st gun)
HW97K
Diana 45
(all .177)

Offline ray1377

• Born to Hunt - Forced to Work
  • Marksman
  • Master of the 1000 inch shot.
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
Longer barrels only slow down a pellet in a spring powered air rifle, longer barrels add weight and length to a spring gun! The only thing a longer barrel on a spring gun does is either aides as cocking leverage for a break barrel or a longer sight radius if using iron sights, spring piston air rifles only need 10" of barrel to reach maxium velocity!!! Longer barrels create drag on pellets,  :P

Oh, no doubt, but I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't come up, for better or worse, in discussions, with someone ascribing some mythic functionality or advantage (or lack thereof) to the longer or shorter barrel.

What he said :)
Ray
  • New Albany, MS
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline Mark 611

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
my experience with chopping barrel has been nothing but positive, I either don't lose any velocity or gain velocity, for example my HW35 in.22cal before I chopped the barrel from its OEM length it shot the 16gn AA pellets at 595fps after chopping it to 12.25in same pellet is now shooting 605fps, IMO I think it has allot to with how tight the bore is and how tight the pellet fits the bore and the how soft the lead of the pellet is? but on the other hand same barrel chop on my Beeman R1.20cal lost some velocity from 825fps down to 785fps, that was from 16'' down to 12.25'' but I also changed out springs with a JM spring that doesn't have the proper spacing for that spring as it was designed in its kit forum from JM, I used the factory rear guide and a top hat that I had so its not really a fair evaluation of the power loss, just my thoughts on that! I have not any accuracy with the rifles favorite pellets either, just about every break barrel rifle I own has had the barrel chopped down to 10.5 or 12.25'' and have had no Ill effects from doing so, and almost all of these rifles are HW's so take it for what it worth, IMO it makes these guns easier to handle and more nimble, but I have also added cans on these rifles that put about 7.5'' in length back to the OAL of the rifle, but work for me ;) :P
  • Indiana
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!
Walther LGV Master Pro .177cal
Walther LGU Master .177cal
Walther Varmint .22cal
Beeman R1 carbine .20cal
Beeman 97k .20cal
HW95 .22cal
HW35 .22cal
HW35 .177cal
HW50s .177cal
HW50s .22cal
HW30s .177cal
CZ634.177cal synthetic
U.K. Webley Tomahawk .22cal
Diana T06 460mag .22cal

Offline Yogi

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2018, 10:49:18 PM »
my experience with chopping barrel has been nothing but positive, I either don't lose any velocity or gain velocity, for example my HW35 in.22cal before I chopped the barrel from its OEM length it shot the 16gn AA pellets at 595fps after chopping it to 12.25in same pellet is now shooting 605fps, IMO I think it has allot to with how tight the bore is and how tight the pellet fits the bore and the how soft the lead of the pellet is? but on the other hand same barrel chop on my Beeman R1.20cal lost some velocity from 825fps down to 785fps, that was from 16'' down to 12.25'' but I also changed out springs with a JM spring that doesn't have the proper spacing for that spring as it was designed in its kit forum from JM, I used the factory rear guide and a top hat that I had so its not really a fair evaluation of the power loss, just my thoughts on that! I have not any accuracy with the rifles favorite pellets either, just about every break barrel rifle I own has had the barrel chopped down to 10.5 or 12.25'' and have had no Ill effects from doing so, and almost all of these rifles are HW's so take it for what it worth, IMO it makes these guns easier to handle and more nimble, but I have also added cans on these rifles that put about 7.5'' in length back to the OAL of the rifle, but work for me ;) :P

Screw on cans or push on cans?  How do you attach them to shortened barrels?

Thanks,

Yogi
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22
HW 50S, .177 and/or .22

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?