New Edgun .30 shooting slugs

Author Topic: New Edgun .30 shooting slugs  (Read 1895 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline nielsenammo

• Swaged and Cast Pellet Manufacture
  • Vendors
  • Expert
  • yes
    • Nielsen Specialty Ammo
New Edgun .30 shooting slugs
« on: May 27, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
I purchased a new gun from Brian after he brought an Edgun .30 to a shooting day a few months ago.  I asked him if I could shoot a test slug in his gun which he allowed.  I could get touching bullets with the slug at 100 yards.  The accuracy crushed my Wolverine .30 and the feel of the gun was fantastic.

That was two months ago and I could not take it anymore, I needed one.  I bought one this week and took it out yesterday to a squirrel hunt on a local permission.  I took a scope off another gun and put on the Edgun and sighted the gun in first thing for 100 yards.

Once sighted I took the gun out for a field test.  I have not shot this gun for groups yet.  I did take a chair, hunting sticks, my 47 grain slugs and an air bottle.  By the end of the day I had 41 squirrels and 3 rabbits.

Most of our shooting was from 40 to 110 yards or so.  I did have 3 kills at 125 yards on a wood pile we were watching.  My longest shot of the day was lasered at 207 yards.

I bought this gun for pdog shooting which is longer range shooting than California ground squirrels typically are.  So far, this seems like a good choice, the accuracy is nothing short of incredible.  I have not shot a pellet in the gun yet, only my 47 grain slugs, but I am sure the accuracy will be similar with them as well.

I need to do a shot count on full fill of 300 bar but I was getting roughly 30+ shots on a 270 bar fill.  I did a rough shot count only but will get a better idea as I get some more shooting in with the gun.

This is a single shot gun which I don't mind at all.  I carry a pellet pouch around my neck and just reload as I shoot.  I am not a fan of the cocking bolt being and the far rear of the gun a further forward lever would be easier.  However, after shooting a while I got used to it was able to reload quickly and efficiently.

What I really like is how quiet the gun is vs the power is outputs.  Everyone I was shooting with was impressed by the quite report of a gun shooting 47 grain slugs at 902 fps.  I also very much like how short the gun is to fit in the back of my Jeep and how easy the gun is to shoulder and maneuver.  This is a great gun to have in the back of the Jeep and be able to quickly take it out when I see an opportunity.

• La Verne, CA
http://nielsenspecialtyammo.com
https://www.rodentguys.com
https://www.facebook.com/nielsenspecialtyammo/

nielsenspecialtyammo@yahoo.com

My current airguns (always changing):
45 Texan, 35 Texan, Recluse, Wolverine 303, AF Condor 257 by Doug Noble, Cricket 25 @67 ft lbs, Condor 25, Condor 22, Wolverine 22 HP 63 ft lbs, FX Indy 22, Wolverine .177, Condor .177, BSA R10 177, AA 177 and more, Bauer Oceanus

Offline Keyser Soze

• Vendors
  • Shooter
  • yes
    • edgunwest
Re: New Edgun .30 shooting slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »
Sweet, I am sending some of the NSA slugs to Ed for testing!
  • Orange County

Offline mr007s

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
Hi Nick, did you get the "Long" version? Would like to know if it was fitted with the upgrade Huma reg. Mine shoots your 47 grain slugs at 875fps and the stock reg is set at 120 psi according to what Brian told me.  Just wanting to figure how you are able to get 902fps from yours. I am thinking of installing the Huma in mine.
 Thanks for any info you may provide.
  • Hickory, North Carolina
mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Offline nielsenammo

• Swaged and Cast Pellet Manufacture
  • Vendors
  • Expert
  • yes
    • Nielsen Specialty Ammo
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Mine has the Huma and is set to 130.  Brian said I get much more out of it but the fps spread was 1 with the slugs.  I decided to leave it alone and I am very happy with performance of the gun and the slugs in the gun.  The accuracy is unreal.
  • La Verne, CA
http://nielsenspecialtyammo.com
https://www.rodentguys.com
https://www.facebook.com/nielsenspecialtyammo/

nielsenspecialtyammo@yahoo.com

My current airguns (always changing):
45 Texan, 35 Texan, Recluse, Wolverine 303, AF Condor 257 by Doug Noble, Cricket 25 @67 ft lbs, Condor 25, Condor 22, Wolverine 22 HP 63 ft lbs, FX Indy 22, Wolverine .177, Condor .177, BSA R10 177, AA 177 and more, Bauer Oceanus

Offline mr007s

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
Thank you!
mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Offline Wildcatter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
I can tell you that gun was ridiculously quiet; the impact 3 times louder then the shot.  And what an impact.  I watched one of the lads hit a squirrel at about 84 yards and "disable" it.  It was still lifting it's forelegs.  It happens.  As I watched through my scope, Nick (standing with sticks, mind you), with a little puff of air, I watched the lower abdomen of the squirrel blow down into the dirt.  I didn't quite know this is what I saw at first, but I let Nick know right away, I said "Neil, you finished him".  Just like that.

Anyway, a few hours later as we worked the next property (and Neil again walked up and took 10-12 squirrels in about 5 minutes out of a hillside), I went back and looked for the squirrels and found as I turned this one over, all that was inside was now outside.  Ugh.

Anyway, the gun is beyond my means, but it sher shot well and sher was purty.
  • simi valley,california
.30 Hatsan BT65 Carnivore/BWalton Tune "Elvira"/MTC Genisis 5 x 20 x 50
.25 Airforce Talon/UTG Bugbuster 3x9x32
.22 FX Wildcat/BWalton LDC/MTC UL 3x12x40
.22 Marauder Pistol/UTG Bug Buster 3x9x32
.22 Benjamin 392 Pumper/UTG 4 x 32
.22 RWS 350 Magnum/No site
.22 Beeman QB78/Tasco 3 x 9 x 32
.22 Sheridan MB2260/Tasco 3 x 9 x 32
.22 Custom Crosman 1322/Barska 3x9x42
.20 Sheridan C9A/Peep Sight
.177 BSA Buccaneer SE/ATN 3x12 Nite Site
.177 Gamo Bone Collector/Barska 3 x 9 x 44
.177 Benjamin Trail NP

Offline Technoman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
I picked up the .30 Long from Brian last week. I got the Huma and the testor and started playing.  I've had it as low as 110 Bar and as high as 150. I got Nick's 47gr slugs out of the gun at close to 950fps. I LOVE the ease of adjusting for whatever you want to shoot.  I didn't like the cocking tension when you max out the hammer spring or the increase in noise to get the real high numbers. So......I ended up at 115 bar shooting the 47 slugs at 885fps and the 44 JSB's at 915.  Deadly accurate at my 45yard  home distance and can't wait for a 100 yard test and some squirrel hunting. I'm really impressed with this gun!! Thanks Brian and Nick for a great combo.
Cheers,Scott
  • USA,California,Fallbrook

Offline chwillbill68

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:44 PM »
I love Edguns, I want a .30 and really looked at this one, but I really don't want another single shot PCP.  Maybe Ed will upgrade it down the road and add a mag feed version. 

Thanks Bill C!
  • State College, PA, USA
Hatsan AT 44-10QE  .22 cal
Synrod .25 cal
Benjamin Trail NP X1 .177 cal
Leshiy .25 cal
Crosman 180
SIG MCX .177 cal
Seneca Dragonfly .22cal

Offline mr007s

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
I picked up the .30 Long from Brian last week. I got the Huma and the testor and started playing.  I've had it as low as 110 Bar and as high as 150. I got Nick's 47gr slugs out of the gun at close to 950fps. I LOVE the ease of adjusting for whatever you want to shoot.  I didn't like the cocking tension when you max out the hammer spring or the increase in noise to get the real high numbers. So......I ended up at 115 bar shooting the 47 slugs at 885fps and the 44 JSB's at 915.  Deadly accurate at my 45yard  home distance and can't wait for a 100 yard test and some squirrel hunting. I'm really impressed with this gun!! Thanks Brian and Nick for a great combo.
Cheers,Scott

Hi Scott, when you set the reg at 115 using the tester, did the marks on the reg show the same number or were they off? Trying to determine if the markings are accurate.
mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Offline Technoman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 11:55:37 PM »
I love Edguns, I want a .30 and really looked at this one, but I really don't want another single shot PCP.  Maybe Ed will upgrade it down the road and add a mag feed version. 

Thanks Bill C!
Ok here's my take on that one....I asked Brian if the new R5 would be offered in .30 with a magazine and he said no...and I was thinking I needed it for hunting.. I'll bet Ed is  ready for one if the market says please...but the gun is so easy to feed that I've decided that follow-up shots will be fast  enough with slugs in my top pocket that I don't care. I only care at this time about varmint control and I seldom need a follow-up and I can feed another while I wait for the reg to stabilize which at this time I'm thinking 10 seconds to be sure.....

Offline Technoman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 12:17:15 AM »
Cheers,Scott

Hi Scott, when you set the reg at 115 using the tester, did the marks on the reg show the same number or were they off? Trying to determine if the markings are accurate.
I'm a technical number guy and the tape won't do it.  I'm thinking the tape showed 135 bar but tested at 130 with the gauge. The tape seemed to be closer at the bottom number and maybe even at the top but not acceptable for accuracy as far as I'm concerned. My hunting buddy sells the best tape software for archery sights there is and says don't trust the tape stretch for accuracy when someone applies it wrong.  Bottom line is once you tune it to where you want it I guess it doesn't matter  but if  you want to play  with it and document the numbers then buy the tester.....

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 04:32:44 AM »
I want one of them .25 Edguns badly, that's the one gun I dream of.
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Tactical Sniper     .50   200 FPE
Evanix Blizzard II             .357 140 FPE
Evanix REX Carbine           .357 150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine     .357  90  FPE
Evanix Model 70                   .30    85 FPE
Evanix Storm II Mini-Carbine .30    70 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II             .25    80 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II            .25    70 FPE
Evanix Air Speed                .22    20 FPE

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 05:00:36 AM »
I want one of them .25 Edguns badly, that's the one gun I dream of.
I'll tell you what Manny,
 I was the one glassing and ranging for Nick that day. I was who confirmed the 207 yd shot, as well as the others.
 It truly IS a VERY impressive gun, in build quality, accuracy, shot count, and absolutely minimal muzzle report.
 The impacts on ground squirrels at 125 yds were louder, than the shot fired.
 Next time I'm out with Nick, he better keep a real close eye on that gun,... ('cuz I might just steal it from him !)
 LOL !
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline Wildcatter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
I second that - quite as *(&^, accurate and light weight.  You get what you pay for.  I am a huge fan of the offcenter LDC, too.  Neat look.
  • simi valley,california
.30 Hatsan BT65 Carnivore/BWalton Tune "Elvira"/MTC Genisis 5 x 20 x 50
.25 Airforce Talon/UTG Bugbuster 3x9x32
.22 FX Wildcat/BWalton LDC/MTC UL 3x12x40
.22 Marauder Pistol/UTG Bug Buster 3x9x32
.22 Benjamin 392 Pumper/UTG 4 x 32
.22 RWS 350 Magnum/No site
.22 Beeman QB78/Tasco 3 x 9 x 32
.22 Sheridan MB2260/Tasco 3 x 9 x 32
.22 Custom Crosman 1322/Barska 3x9x42
.20 Sheridan C9A/Peep Sight
.177 BSA Buccaneer SE/ATN 3x12 Nite Site
.177 Gamo Bone Collector/Barska 3 x 9 x 44
.177 Benjamin Trail NP

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: