Will Attend Event 17-19 May 2019

Yes, wouldn't miss it
22 (48.9%)
No way I can travel that far
11 (24.4%)
Very possible but not for certain
12 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: 2019 GTA Gene Curtis Memorial Fun Shoot/Airgun Show  (Read 6601 times - 1 votes) 
)

Online farmerjoe99

• N.U.A.H Marksman
  • Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • DiscosRUs
Re: 2019 GTA Gene Curtis Memorial Fun Shoot/Airgun Show
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
If I can make it this year I'd love to have an FT setup to go through.
  • Alfred NY
Discos R Us Airgun Store:
http://discosrus.net/

TO FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND
  CLICK HERE FOR THE GTA MEMBERS MAP  >>>  https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline triggertreat

• 2017 GTA Fun Shoot Winner (PCP class)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ⊙ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
I like the FT course idea, I also have never been to one.

+1
  • TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

22 Marauder Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., 1.36% ES, 1.58 FPE/CI
JSAR MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.  MMHF barrel
UTG compact SWAT 4-16x44 IR SFP
25 Marauder Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs:
24 Shots @ 55.94 FPE Avg., 1.96% ES, 1.49 FPE/CI
JSAR SS Valve, MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 IR FFP
357 Slayer Unregulated. Tuned using NSA 142gr:
4 shots @ 275.60 FPE Avg., 2.33% ES, 1.23 FPE/CI
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56 FFP
DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Air Venturi 4500 psi compressor
Stickman fill assembly
60 min & 30 min 4500 psi CF tanks

Click here to download a Free Spreadsheet App (New Rev 05 ver. 11-16-18)

Offline chardosmith

• Airgun Addict
  • Plinker
  • http://www.razorback-nasa.com
    • Northwest Arkansas Spring gun Association
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
Another vote for FT.  Our club is preparing to start its own FT events and has acquired about 20 targets.  We might be able to help create an event at the GTA shoot if another club doesn't step up.

Our club has both indoor shooting events and occasional outdoor fun shoots.  Our fun shoot last weeked had a 9yo shooter brought by her parents to the event for her first experience shooting an airgun.  She used a Hatsan Alpha - great size for a youth shooter. 

My kids really like a shooting stand that I had copied from a prior event - gluing plastic animals, cars and candy to a wooden shelf.  Hundreds of targets and the kids can call - "Let's get Darth Vader".  A great use for those old kid toys....

Here are a few photos from our prior event showing the target idea and how much fun youth shooters can have!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:04:55 PM by chardosmith »
  • State of Confusion - Arkansas
-Arnold

Offline Hsbgshop

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
Thanks fellas for the support. More ideas, more, more!!

This year, since the bridge project is done, I have much more  time to step it up for the next shoot/Show.

Another option I thought would be fun is to set up a competition using the “know your limits” target systems I have. They were down range at the last shoot and seemed to get good feedback from shooters. These KYL targets we’re not used as they were intended in competition. I have three to use. If they were set out say...one at 50yrds, then 30 and maybe at 15. Respectively we could have three different challenges to shoot competivley. The 50yrd one could be bench shooting. The 30yrd could be a total freehand challenge and the 15yrd could be for springers..... Now say a competitor lays down a couple bucks for a round and the winner or winners get a payout percentages from 1st to third place? I have an extra car port type tent that should work nicely for this to keep shooters shaded. This could even be placed at a separate area on the line or off to the side of the field. There is plenty of area now that the firing line is moved.

Now for the FT idea portion of the shoot/Show. I like to call it a “jungle walk”. Location>>>>For those who were at the firing line last May, the beginning of the proposed FT pathway would be West of the old firing line at the top of the hill next to the old watering pond. This is across the webwire fence about 100 yards from the old line. (There is going to be a gate placed in the webwire for easy access) There is an old roadway there that continues West for at least 200-225yards in the woods. This has woods on both sides of this roadway. There is even a creek snaking thru there to use somehow for some really interesting target challenges. Shooting direction would be totally opposite of the new firing line....making it totally safe for BOTH the main line and this event to happen simultaneously independent of each other. I thought one side of the roadway could be one type of competition and the other side another.....maybe one side a shorter range timed pistol competition? The other side rifle?  Each side of this roadway can easily ave 50 yard target challenges....truly open ended options here.

I’ve never been to any FT air rifle event....ever. I’m as green to this as they come. I have been to many other shooting events with PB firearms including personally competed in sub machinegun competitions, so some of that experience fuels my ideas. I have no clue if we need to keep to some sort of regulation FT format or we build our own event that may set a trend. All feedback wanted on this. Don’t let me sit on my butt all winter until spring comes to get something going here. I’m open to any and all thoughts here....winter is long and I if I can build a 90 foot clear span bridge in 4 months what can I do all winter long????
  • USA, AR, Horseshoe Bend

Offline tracker1955

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
I'm interested in the FT event, just hope it is handicapped friendly as I have trouble walking very far or being on my feet for very long. If not I will still enjoy the regular shooting range, had fun last year and plan to make it again God willing.
  • LaVergne Tn.
22 Synrod
22 Nova Vista Liberty
177 Disco

Yong Heng compressor

Offline PakProtector

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
FT would be *SWEET*, but the lightest shooter I have is a 36 FPE, .22 Marauder...:)

Are you bringing the RimfireCentral folks along again this year Dez? Is there any rimfire shooting?

Thanks,
Douglas
  • Ann Arbor, MI, USA
My most valuable friends are the ones who will tell me I am wrong.

More valuable still are the ones who go to the trouble of making me see it.

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
Douglas, the rimfire guys and gals are invited and I'm sure Eric will drop them a message again. But with 250 acres, we will most definitely be shooting rimfire, especially after normal hours of the event. We did some of that last year on Sunday. But we can and probably will set up an adjacent range for pb shooting.
You thinking of driving down from MI? That would be kewl.
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline PakProtector

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Oh yes, working out details now...and when the RFC folks turn out it would be in poor taste not to being out a 40X or perhaps an 1813 Supermatch. Not that I'd leave the air rifles...hopefully one wid the new Polygon barrel...:)

Douglas
  • Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
Best of both worlds IMO. pffft pfft pfft, pang pang pang
  • Clarksville, Tennessee
Discovery w/ Boyds blaster stock, Marauder trigger, Prod PA

Marauder Gen 1 .25 self tuned with DIY SSG

Marauder Gen 1 .25 Stock from Factory

Original Run 500cc Bottled .25 Self tuned Marauder By D Piccard (soon to be a .30)

Gen 2 Mrod/Armada Frankengun with Gen 1 Bolt .25

Gen 2 Mrod .22 Synthetic

Bulldog .357, power tuned to 296FPE for three shots

Sumatra 2500 500cc .25x2
Sumatra 2500 500cc .22

NuVair (Coltri) MCH-6 Portable Compressor

Numerous 2240's, discos, 2300's, Springers and BB shooters

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 09:22:37 PM »
Oh yes, working out details now...and when the RFC folks turn out it would be in poor taste not to being out a 40X or perhaps an 1813 Supermatch. Not that I'd leave the air rifles...hopefully one wid the new Polygon barrel...:)

Douglas

Good deal. Grab Ed on your way. LOL
Would love to have him join us too.
I brought my dressed up 10-22 last year and enjoyed shooting it. Maybe we can persuade Eric to break out a Gatling gun.
:)
Weihrauch HW97K .177

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Another vote for FT.  Our club is preparing to start its own FT events and has acquired about 20 targets.  We might be able to help create an event at the GTA shoot if another club doesn't step up.

Arnold, we could definitely use some help and guidance setting this event up if you guys can pitch in. Drop me a message and tell me what targets we need and I'll get them.
:)
Weihrauch HW97K .177

Offline ShawninIL

• Marksman
  • RAMADA GANG Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »
Any updates on the cabins?
  • IL
Taipan Veteran .25 SWFA 3-15x42 FFP, Bizills Mag Holders  SWEET!
Mrod .25 RAI Stock  BSA 6-24x44 Tactical FFP
Mid 70s Crosman 761xl 
Diana 52 .177 SWFA 10x42
Flex .25
HW97 SWFA 10x42
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
LOL
Read my mind Shawn.
I just sent Eric a message about 15 minutes ago asking the same question. Since he was right down the road from them he was going to check on it. I'll follow up with a call soon to lock something down. I think we can fill the place.
Weihrauch HW97K .177

Offline ShawninIL

• Marksman
  • RAMADA GANG Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 06:46:03 AM »
They say great minds think alike! ???
  • IL
Taipan Veteran .25 SWFA 3-15x42 FFP, Bizills Mag Holders  SWEET!
Mrod .25 RAI Stock  BSA 6-24x44 Tactical FFP
Mid 70s Crosman 761xl 
Diana 52 .177 SWFA 10x42
Flex .25
HW97 SWFA 10x42
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »
I suspect I should have change the oil in the big compressor before the shoot and have a spare bottle on hand along with a few gas cans.
  • Clarksville, Tennessee

Original Run 500cc Bottled .25 Self tuned Marauder By D Piccard (soon to be a .30)

Gen 2 Mrod .22 Synthetic

Sumatra 2500 500cc .25x2
Sumatra 2500 500cc .22

Offline Hsbgshop

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
Merry Christmas fellas!!

Lodging, RV camping, night shoot, FT shoot, and FOOOOooooood!!!

I have been doing some homework and have a partial update for the upcoming shoot/Show.

We found a nice little 3500 watt inverted generator set. It should work nicely to run the night shoot lighting setup. This unit runs sooooo nice and quiet. The steel has been bought for the light poles. I still need to fab them up for each one to hold a pair of floods. I just need to pull the trigger on the LED lights themselves. I’m thinking two 500 watt units plus one small watt unit for each light pole should cover field of view plus working light on the line. So the field should be lit as well as softer lighting for the shooter spots.

I recently took a walk down the pathway for the proposed  “jungle walk” or “field/target” part of the shoot. This is really a nice long path with so many possibilities. I’ll get some rangefinder data so you all can get an idea of what this thing could be. I really need to get with someone or a group who has experience with actual FT event details to set this up properly. I have no idea if this needs to be designed to mimic official FT range specifics or are we pioneering our own thing here. Someone who is in my area and knowledgeable in FT competitions, contact me and let’s get this planned out. Otherwise I’ll design something totally unrelated for just the fun of it. Maybe something timed and scored as a walk through type shoot. Anyway, get me some thoughts on this as the present weather is perfect for the outside work of clearing paths and shooting lanes for is. Also if anyone local to me wishes to lend a hand, contact me.

Lodging....closest to the shoot.

I stopped in at Cedar Glade Resort right here in Horseshoe Bend. 7 minutes or 3.2 miles from the Expo Center.
They have a total of 28 rooms for us. 16 suites @ 70.00 group range per night. 12 regular rooms @60.00 per night group rate. WiFi available. They have a website to view details and pics of their facility. Www.cedargladeresort.com
There is an 18 hole golf course attached to this resort for 20.00 for 18 holes and 9.00 cart rent....sounded pretty cheap to me!! They have 2 RV hook ups with 30 and 50 amp plugs. 25.00 per night.

The next place we have local is on Crown Lake in Horseshoe. This is 13 minutes or 6.1 miles from the Expo Center.  This place is called Boxhound Marina. They have entire cabins on the lake to rent. They have 2  cabins that sleep 4 with a pull out used. Also they have 2 cabins that sleep 6 with a pull out used. They are complete with stoves, microwaves, pots, pans fridge, etc. You can view their site at https://www.boxhoundmarina.com. No WiFi. They also have RV hookups but all are booked except for 2 at the time I spoke with them. They were priced at 25.00 per night per 2 occupants. The website shows costs and pictures of the cabins.

For those who were at the show last year, I will again offer camping by the lake west of the Expo. This is a primitive spot with No power or water (other than the lake). The two porta-jons will remain for those campers.  I have a lakeside campfire ring and firewood for your use. If you are into primitive camping, this may be for you. The camp site is within 100 yards of the new firing line. GTA fellas can bring a 4 wheeler, golf cart, SXS, to travel back and forth through the facilities.

The next place I’m working on is Crown Point resort also in town on the lake. This place has everything you all would need from restaurant, pool, hot tub, bar, and nice lodging. I haven’t received final word back yet with all details. They also have new RV hookups being made this fall. Too much fresh info to relay yet. They are also a timeshare enterprise so reserving lodging can get tricky at the start of the season. I’ll post more as I know it.

There also is another nice place located in the neighboring town of Salem, AR right on the highway called Cottonwood Inn. It is probably 15 minutes and 10 miles from the Expo. The have a site and they were open to group discounts last year when I inquired. http://www.cottonwoodinnmotel.com/ I have not spoken to them directly but can if a group thing is needed.

Now...a new discovery for this May.....FOOD on the firing line!!!

I get along well with our local grocery store owner and he recently acquired a double Rotisserie roaster in his store. He is presently doing whole chickens, pork chops, and ribs. I asked if he could deliver on the line....YUP! He also is a Hunts Brothers pizza vendor and can deliver that too.  He would be willing to build a sample platter like ribs, pizza and chicken for a GTA deal.
How cool would it been to get your eats on the line!!!

Any and all comments and suggestions are needed.....bigger and better is the goal here.

Eric

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
Excellent updates Eric, many thanks!!!
I will hold out and see what you can do for the cabins. I prefer those if possible. Second choice will be Cedar Glade. We looked at it last year and thought it would be nice. But not as close to amenities as the lodge was we stayed at last year. But a LOT closer to the event!!!
As for the FT course, I have been chatting some with Tyler about it. Not sure of the timed deal but what he informed me of was they usually have a minimum of 30 stations that have two resettable targets per station. Set at different ranges from 10-55 yards. Two shots per target. Highest course score wins. I would like to stick somewhat to an official setup so this would serve as fun but a learning experience also. I've never attended or shot in an FT event. Hopefully we will have some folks that HAVE shot in an event that will volunteer to help us tweak the lanes. This could be a blast.
The night shoot sounds like fun too. MANY thanks for all of your time and effort to make this coming event the best ever.
The food possibilities are an interesting touch too. We will still have the GTA furnished meal for Saturday lunch. I hope the same fellow and crew can do the job again. They did a fantastic job last year!!! And his winning a drawing topped it off for him. LOL
But having food available is a great idea considering everything is kinda isolated there and several miles apart. Having food delivered is a great plus. I like Hunt Brothers pizza, I have a breakfast pizza every Friday morning. LOL
Thanks again Eric, give me a call or drop me an email if you need to chat about anything.
See you all there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Weihrauch HW97K .177

Offline Hsbgshop

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
Update 12/25/18....

I just got back from a little walk with the rangefinder this afternoon. The proposed jungle walk is really looking great for any type of walk thru field/target needs. The entrance to the wooded roadway is facing due west, away from the main line, and is perfectly safe from separate firing from any other firing line. The F/T roadway goes west for approx 65 yards then gradually bends southwest. There’s is another 36 yards of bend, then it straightens out for another additional 80 yards. We basically have about 180 yards of roadway to walk down....and it actually does slope downward as it goes the length of the 180 yards. Should be easy to navigate no mater how out of shape the shooter might be  ;) Both sides of the roadway can be used for engaging targets. I can see endless challenges and scenarios at all appropriate ranges. >>>>>>really would like to have a pro who is local to me to come check it out and cultivate some ideas on this<<<<<<<

The next update is for the actual spot where the main firing line will be. Today’s walk-about made it clear that the firing line would be best suited a bit further north and about 75 yards west of where I initially thought. Reason being the spot found today is very level and the view slopes downward to all targets down range. The addition of having a row of tall trees directly behind the line will shield all of us from the sun nicely. There is plenty of room for shooters to drive up to their shooting spot and park. There is a raised terrace that lasers right at the 50 yard range too!! The full depth of range from this spot is at 330 yards, give or take, using the whole length of the field.

From the main firing line, the entrance to the jungle-walk or F/T range is just 100 yards away.

More later....and again>>>>>>contact me if you are local and can brainstorm on the layout of the jungle walk.<<<<

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:31:05 PM by Hsbgshop »

Offline PakProtector

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
On the FT course, the 'official' ones end at 55 yards of range. that leads to, IMO, scores in the mid to upper 50's out of 60. Is there any reason not to create a course that will result in some tears? 80 yard maximum for the 'third' target? difference in drop from 75 to 80 yards is easily more than a target's height...(evil grin)

Also, is it possible to get some tougher targets so we can attack them with .25's? Now don't get me wring, attacking an 80 yard distant target with a 12 FPE, .177 will probably leave me spectating. As would a 20 FPE limit...but it could be you could sell tickets so we could watch folks wrap rifles around trees upon missing...LOL
cheers,
Douglas
  • Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »
On the FT course, the 'official' ones end at 55 yards of range. that leads to, IMO, scores in the mid to upper 50's out of 60. Is there any reason not to create a course that will result in some tears? 80 yard maximum for the 'third' target? difference in drop from 75 to 80 yards is easily more than a target's height...(evil grin)

Also, is it possible to get some tougher targets so we can attack them with .25's? Now don't get me wring, attacking an 80 yard distant target with a 12 FPE, .177 will probably leave me spectating. As would a 20 FPE limit...but it could be you could sell tickets so we could watch folks wrap rifles around trees upon missing...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

A "true hunter class" would be awesome! I would certainly give it a go if it were .25 compliant.
  • Clarksville, Tennessee

Gen 2 Mrod .22 Synthetic

Sumatra 2500 500cc .25x2
Sumatra 2500 500cc .22

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.

Sponsored Ad: