Need Help to select a Chronograph.

Author Topic: Need Help to select a Chronograph.  (Read 4137 times))

Offline NHGuide

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Need Help to select a Chronograph.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
I'm looking for reliable Chronograph below $150. .......Which model would you advise, based on your practical experience? Thanks for help.
Alex...wait a few more weeks if you have to and save the 25 dollars more for a Caldwell G2.  at about 175.
it will be worth every day waiting ....

• New Hampshire

Offline algun

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 10:22:59 PM »
I splurged a little and got this one couldn't be happier :)
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-721122-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph/dp/B00HTN5290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524176912&sr=8-1&keywords=caldwell+chronograph

Thats a nice package, If I were in the market that is the one I would buy, its has it all in one neat package

This  gets my vote for chrono setup.   You will end up paying more buying it all separate, which is what I did.

It's 0.25% accurate to compare to 1%  of Pro Chrono Digital, but only 1 year warranty vs. 2 years for Pro Chrono. I'm considering this model. Just need more feedback on performance and reliability.
  • Aurora, Ohio

Offline sawtoothscream

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 12:16:08 AM »
My Cadwell and shooter Chrono read like 5 or 6 fps difference, Cadwell being the higher one.
  • New York
hw97k .177 w/ vortek pg2 sho  hawke airmax 3-12x40
Mrod .25, utg swat4-16x44 war tss and mds
Pp700 .22. Nstar 2.5x30
Disco .22   leaper 3-9x50
2240 carbine
B26-2 MM tuned  leapers 3-9x40
Hatsan 125 sniper

Offline sawtoothscream

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »
Think you really have to spend some coin if you want a dead on accurate one and probably still wouldn't know unless you had it calibrated or something
  • New York
hw97k .177 w/ vortek pg2 sho  hawke airmax 3-12x40
Mrod .25, utg swat4-16x44 war tss and mds
Pp700 .22. Nstar 2.5x30
Disco .22   leaper 3-9x50
2240 carbine
B26-2 MM tuned  leapers 3-9x40
Hatsan 125 sniper

Offline RAJOD

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »
I splurged a little and got this one couldn't be happier :)
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-721122-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph/dp/B00HTN5290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524176912&sr=8-1&keywords=caldwell+chronograph

Thats a nice package, If I were in the market that is the one I would buy, its has it all in one neat package

This  gets my vote for chrono setup.   You will end up paying more buying it all separate, which is what I did.

It's 0.25% accurate to compare to 1%  of Pro Chrono Digital, but only 1 year warranty vs. 2 years for Pro Chrono. I'm considering this model. Just need more feedback on performance and reliability.

Look at the price, only $126.00 Amazon Prime.   I would snag it.    They are simple devices.   Two sensors and enough electronics to time when something passes over the first window to the second.   My Prochrono looks cheap because its plastic but its taken many falls on cement off its tripod and looks and works like new.

Im thinking I paid
- 100.00 pro chrono
- 25.00 tripod
- 45.00 light kit
- 45.00 blue tooth
- I have no bag for it like the caldwell includes

I got $215.00 wrapped up in mine and not even a bag to show for it :)

For $126.00 you are getting the same + a bag.   And you will know if the first week if its a winner, if not Amazon covers you send it back.

Maybe there are you tube videos on the caldwell unit.   I'm thinking its pretty much the same as my Pro Chrono.  They are simple devices.

I would not worry about the warranty.  1 year is fine.   Would you buy it for 126.00 and then pay an extra 100.00 for just 1 year more of warranty?   No.   Forget about the warranty its not an issue.  They usually a pain to deal with anyway.

Here is a thread with a guy in the same boat as you.   One owns both pro chrono and the caldwell, he uses the caldwell, likes it better.

http://airgunguild.com/airgun-optics-and-accessories/prochrono-digital-vs-caldwell-ballistic-curiosity/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:00:58 AM by RAJOD »
  • USA, MI, Okemos
Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22 (30 FPE) - Bushnell Elite 6-24x ED glass Japanese Optics
Brocock CE S-6 .22 (28 FPE) - SWFA SS 3-15x42
BSA Scorpion SE Syn .22 (30 FPE) - Hawk 3-12x AO
Gamo Urban .22 - UTG 4-16x44
Benjamin Maximus! .22 cal w/ UTG TL-BP28S BiPod, CVLIFE 6-24x50 AOE
Benjamin Prowler Nitro Piston .22 (16 fpe) - Bushnell Drop Z-223 3-9x w UTG 10" weaver droop rail.
Hatsan AT44-10 w reg .22 Long (Returned :()
Beeman GS 950 - UTG 3-9x
Crosman 766 pump
Tigershark 74CFt

Offline AGNoviceM

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »
The annoying thing about the light system from ProChrono is that it doesn't come with a battery power option.
That makes it harder to use it flexible outside. Maybe it can be rewired...

You don't need the lights outdoors, it comes with two outdoor shades.   Indoors you just plug the lights in.

You are right, but I don't like the concept of that. It seems nobody has thought it through. Otherwise, they would have made an option to run the whole Chrono plugged in.

In terms of the Caldwell set I am with you. If I would have made my research, I would have bought that one. I didn't know at that time, that I would need the indoor light system. I thought, I could figure it out  ::)
  • MA

Online Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
Alex, I have a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master. I've had it for close to four years & I can count the number of errors in that time on one hand. Now granted, I always shoot outdoors, live in Florida where there are generally fair/sunny days. I always use it with the diffusers. At the end of the day, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the Alpha Master a 9. I really like the remote display.

I'd also advise no matter what brand of chrony you buy, get yourself some Poly Carbonate or Lexan for a front shield, before you join the "I shot my chrony" club.
Not sure why some folks are so reluctant to spend a few bucks on Poly/Lexan as insurance to protect their chrony. Maybe they just think they'll never shoot their chrony, until they actually do!   :o
  • Ormond by the Sea, FL, USA 🇺🇸
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline Back_Roads

• ???
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Crosman BMG-1077
    • https://www.facebook.com/pg/longshot/about/
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
 If using the phone tether or app. you can hide your crony behind an anvil or large bunker :) Just don't shoot your phone  ;D
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
We Got The Guns !

Online Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
Good point James. Anything will work as a shield.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Jeff aka Privateer

• Village Idiot. Iím in so deep now itís at the point it doesnít even matter anymore
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Air is free until you start compressing it!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
I'd also advise no matter what brand of chrony you buy, get yourself some Poly Carbonate or Lexan for a front shield, before you join the "I shot my chrony" club.
I shot one of mine. Twice! In a row!
 ???
  • Nevada, Ohio
No one told me the Rabbit hole has no end!
And where the heck are the Cookies I was promised!!!

Online Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
Don't feel bad Jeff. I too shot my F1 chrony on not just the very first, but also the second shot.  :o  IDIOT!
Shooting Chrony actually has a trade in deal where they will give you a credit for a "shot up" chrony towards a new chrony. I traded in my F1 for an Alpha Master. That, was a good move on my part. I'm very happy with the Alpha Master.   ;D

http://shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline RAJOD

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 03:48:58 AM »
The annoying thing about the light system from ProChrono is that it doesn't come with a battery power option.
That makes it harder to use it flexible outside. Maybe it can be rewired...

You don't need the lights outdoors, it comes with two outdoor shades.   Indoors you just plug the lights in.

You are right, but I don't like the concept of that. It seems nobody has thought it through. Otherwise, they would have made an option to run the whole Chrono plugged in.

In terms of the Caldwell set I am with you. If I would have made my research, I would have bought that one. I didn't know at that time, that I would need the indoor light system. I thought, I could figure it out  ::)

Yea they should offer the chrono with a plug in that does it all  AND sell a lithium battery for those that don't want to mess with cords.   The times my chrono has taken a fall is from me tripping over the cord and seeing it take a tumble.     A rechargeable lithium could power it and the lights easily. 

• USA, MI, Okemos
Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22 (30 FPE) - Bushnell Elite 6-24x ED glass Japanese Optics
Benjamin Prowler Nitro Piston .22 (16 fpe) - Bushnell Drop Z-223 3-9x w UTG 10" weaver droop rail.
Beeman GS 950 - UTG 3-9x
Crosman 766 pump
Tigershark 74CFt

Offline Tater

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
Yea they should offer the chrono with a plug in that does it all  AND sell a lithium battery for those that don't want to mess with cords.   The times my chrono has taken a fall is from me tripping over the cord and seeing it take a tumble.     A rechargeable lithium could power it and the lights easily. 

That's a great idea. And good point there James.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
If you haven't marked your turf yet (GTA member map), please do. No registration, just enter zip code and board name.

Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock
P17 - (my wife's)
2240 - Won it at Matt's (Shaky Sarge) fun shoot

Offline algun

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
I wouldn't buy the usual Chrony that you shoot over the top of, as I read too much about them being temperamental about the light source - don't like too much light, don't like not enough light

I searched Aliexpress and found a shoot-through infrared chrony - uses rows of infrared transmitter LEDs and receiver LEDs - does not rely on any type of light source, and has a built in rechargeable battery, mine came with a special USB cable (USB to DC plug) but some get a charger

Its very basic - it tells you the velocity of the shots, and nothing more - no instructions, so if it can do more I haven't found the functions - but it has not given even one error message - it sees every shot

I paid just under $45 - same one now available for $33  :(

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Muzzle-velocity-tester-valence-e9800-X3200/32810999374.html

Thanks for the tips. For how long do you use it? Does it display a shot # plus speed or speed only?
  • Aurora, Ohio

Offline RAJOD

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 04:55:15 PM »
I wouldn't buy the usual Chrony that you shoot over the top of, as I read too much about them being temperamental about the light source - don't like too much light, don't like not enough light

I searched Aliexpress and found a shoot-through infrared chrony - uses rows of infrared transmitter LEDs and receiver LEDs - does not rely on any type of light source, and has a built in rechargeable battery, mine came with a special USB cable (USB to DC plug) but some get a charger

Its very basic - it tells you the velocity of the shots, and nothing more - no instructions, so if it can do more I haven't found the functions - but it has not given even one error message - it sees every shot

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Muzzle-velocity-tester-valence-e9800-X3200/32810999374.html
I did not see your post.   Yea that could be the best budget chrono.   If you don't mind writing all the numbers down after each shot.  I don't think it has a recall of any type.   Just shoot and get number.   Might be all a person needs as long as its semi accurate.   

• USA, MI, Okemos
Beeman GS 950 - UTG 3-9x
Crosman 766 pump
Tigershark 74CFt

Offline SteveUK

• Plinker
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
Re.

Had it about 8 months - I use it about once a month after tuning a rifle to see what the velocities are with different pellets (I use chairgun pro to calculate ft lbs etc.)

It displays the speed on every shot fired, then you can run through the shot string later before turning the chrono off - seems to hold a 15 to 20 shot string  - cycles through each shot number and velocity each time you press the button - but I don't bother with that - I write the velocities down after each shot

It has an internal lithium battery - never seems to need re-charging, I just re-charged once for the *(&^ of it
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:35:30 PM by SteveUK »
  • Lincolnshire, England
I hate Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves - far too noisy

Offline SteveUK

• Plinker
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
Yea that could be the best budget chrono.   If you don't mind writing all the numbers down after each shot.  I don't think it has a recall of any type.   Just shoot and get number.   Might be all a person needs as long as its semi accurate.   

Actually it displays the speed on every shot fired, then you can run through the shot string later before turning the chrono off - seems to hold a 15 to 20 shot string  - cycles through each shot number and velocity each time you press the button - but I don't bother with that - I write the velocities down after each shot

I wish it had instructions as I suspect it can do more, but I'm delighted with it

There are almost identical versions with just 1 pair of emitter/receiver at front and back - but mine has a whole row of them, so more sensitive and you don't get errors - also some enclosed shoot through types give false readings as the air blast is also funneled and read
  • Lincolnshire, England

Offline SteveUK

• Plinker
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Yea that could be the best budget chrono.

It's well made - those pillars are solid brass with black plastic decorative sleeves

I may make a metal or heavy perspex fascia to protect the plastic, but so far I haven't shot it

It comes with a mini tripod - but I use a full size camera/video tripod with it as it has a mounting bush underneath

It's supposedly better than 1 percent accurate
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:01:44 PM by SteveUK »
  • Lincolnshire, England

Offline algun

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
Yea that could be the best budget chrono.   If you don't mind writing all the numbers down after each shot.  I don't think it has a recall of any type.   Just shoot and get number.   Might be all a person needs as long as its semi accurate.   

Actually it displays the speed on every shot fired, then you can run through the shot string later before turning the chrono off - seems to hold a 15 to 20 shot string  - cycles through each shot number and velocity each time you press the button - but I don't bother with that - I write the velocities down after each shot

I wish it had instructions as I suspect it can do more, but I'm delighted with it

There are almost identical versions with just 1 pair of emitter/receiver at front and back - but mine has a whole row of them, so more sensitive and you don't get errors - also some enclosed shoot through types give false readings as the air blast is also funneled and read

There are two models available. One is for $42.95 other for $34.74.  Both have same picture and model e9800 X3200. Which one has rows of transmitters and receivers?
  • Aurora, Ohio

Offline SteveUK

• Plinker
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
There are two models available. One is for $42.95 other for $34.74.  Both have same picture and model e9800 X3200. Which one has rows of transmitters and receivers?

There are 2 suppliers that I know of - but prices vary as aliexpress vendors often have discounts running for a certain number of days

The true X3200 has a hole you shoot through - I discounted that design as the air blast is funneled across the sensors and is likely to effect the reading - also very likely you will shoot a hole in the chrono

The confusion arises like in most things Chinese, because they use same OEM parts that appear in multiple different designs - I don't actually know what the X3200 refers to - most likely the processing/display chip

Apart from steel metalwork this design is also found in a Polish made chrono that is sold in UK - I was going to buy it, but they sold out almost immediately despite the much higher cost: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Chronographs&SubCat=Shooting%20Chrony%20Chronographs#R2A%20Ballistic%20Chronograph

I paid more for mine, but this is the design I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Muzzle-velocity-tester-valence-e9800-X3200/32810999374.html  Looking at the middle picture of the column of 5 pictures - that shows the two rows of infra-red transmitter LEDs (some designs have only single LEDs)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:31:59 AM by SteveUK »
  • Lincolnshire, England

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.