.30 cal Heavy Pellet from NOE - With Test Results

Author Topic: .30 cal Heavy Pellet from NOE - With Test Results  (Read 7321 times))

Offline kikko

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: .30 cal Heavy Pellet from NOE - With Test Results
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
my fx bobcat 2 accurately shoots the 59 grains. Wish I found this thread earlier, I made and shot close to 700 66 grains and they were all over the place  >:( I thought I was going insane.

I think the accuracy is due to the expansion of the skirt(heavier bullet=less skirt) and the ability for the rifling to twist the bullet due to the expansion. Other's have mentioned this but it took me half a year to figure this out  :D thanks gta
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:22:52 PM by kikko »

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »
Seems most guns like the 59 or 63 gr.... I don't think the skirt on the 66 gr. expands like the longer ones do, but the skirt is enough oversize that shouldn't matter.... I think the accuracy difference is more likely the more forward CG position on the lighter pellets.... but that is really just a guess....

Bob
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:33:38 AM by rsterne »
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), .22 QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Bench PCP, 6mm Regulated PCP and .257 Unregulated, Three BRods.

Offline kikko

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »
The skirts were too oversized. They were so rigid that it took a lot of force to ram the pellet into the chamber. This caused deformities as well with the soft lead. The thinner skirt more easily conforms and requires less force.

Might be a few things, cg and skirt at least for my gun

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
The OD of the skirt and the thickness is the same, however with the shorter pin the skirt becomes less flexible at the back edge....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), .22 QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Bench PCP, 6mm Regulated PCP and .257 Unregulated, Three BRods.

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
Bob I don't have a .30 however with the 25 Hunter mold with my DAR25 I seem to be getting tighter shot groups at a longer distance, but that's only a grain and a half difference.  In reality I think the slug bore, and twist of the barrel probably has the most to do with it, now it would be nice if I knew what the barrel slugs out at ???  I've never checked.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:23:43 AM by Wayne52 »
  • Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Offline kikko

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »
Hey does anyone know if these pellets should be lubed? Im finding freshly casted pellets oxidize very quickly. How toxic is this oxidation btw? Perhaps the oxidation is reduced with lube. Would the lube help push the pellets down the barrel given the imperfections in the skirts and molding process?

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
Turning dull grey, not not toxic. White power on surface, yes toxic.

A 1-2% tin mix will improve this grateley. Lube to what the bbl likes. Wax lubes will stave off the white oxidation for a long time.  ;)
  • Central Texas

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »
I left a tin of pellets out on the state land that I hunt, they were still on a log from about 6 months before throughout the winter, they definitely went into the pot.
  • Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Offline kikko

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
.... I did more testing and I dont think my 59 grain pellets are shooting accurately. I would really appreciate some help with this one to get my pellets shooting straight.

Yesterday I compared how JSBs exact diablo pellets shot vs my 59 grains at 50 yards. I was hitting 1 inch groups with my jsbs and I was completely missing my target at 50 yards with my 59 grain pellets, many fliers.. I saw pieces of bark fly off the side of the dam tree way off target very frustrating.. a few landing but nothing consistent.. :( . When I tried sighting in before I thought my pellets were accurate I was shooting at around 30 yards and even then to be honest I was getting 3 inch groups at best. After shooting the jsbs at 50 yards and seeing the consistent grouping I knew something is wrong here.

There are a lot of variables but because the NOE pellets are just enlarged version of the JSBs I highly doubt that my fx bobcat 2 will never be able to shoot these accurately.  I really think it could boil down to a few factors here.. please please please help me here...

1) The pellet is not being cast correctly. I cast these pellets hot BUT I do very little to preheat my mold so many of the skirts are deformed which I try to avoid shooting but for the pellets that look ok I think internally the pellets are not uniform. I got a cheap hotplate and will try another batch of pellets to see if this will help create more consistent batches.

2) My gun might prefer the 63 grain. I have yet to cast 63 grain pellets so only one way to find out... will cast soon. Maybe having a little more weight in the back will improve the COG and flight stability.

3) My biggest hunch is that my gun isnt shooting fast enough. As rsterne pointed out he is shooting these pellets at 120-130 FPE for the 59 and 63 grain pellets which comes out to 950 FPS. My guess is that due the irregularities in my pellet casting any bad pellets by the time they reach to 40 yards or more begin to tumble. Plus the 59 grain pellets moving at 830 fps... just a guess.. are basically being lobbed at the target at 50 yards.. whereas at 950 fps the trajectory fairly flat. Im going to borrow a chronograph to test this out. I bet this is reason why I cant shoot accurately.

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
My question is why on earth would you not do the required pre-heat of the molds. It simply HAS to be done. The mold need to  between 380 and 425 to cas properly. There is no way around it other than putting the first 20 or so LOT of cast back into the pot. It is going to take at least 20 pours to get the mold working any other way And probably more.

Use either a hot plate on med. or dip the corner in the melt for 25-30 seconds to bring up to heat. Also put the tip of the spru plate in the melt to heat it for another 25 sec. The hot plate is safer, as it can't warp the mold.  ;)

Knife
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:21:53 PM by KnifeMaker »
  • Central Texas

Offline Prouzy

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
The hot olate is safer, as it can't warp the mold.  ;)

Knife

You got it Knife! And, uh, "some guy I know" had his mold slip in the melt and made quite a mess, so I heard  8)

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
The hot plate is safer, as it can't warp the mold.  ;)

Knife

You got it Knife! And, uh, "some guy I know" had his mold slip in the melt and made quite a mess, so I heard  8)

LOL! I've NEVER had that happen. ::)
  • Central Texas

Offline Prouzy

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
I thought I had it situated good, but it slid down into the melt. The mold was on it's last leg anyway so it went away  ;D

Offline kikko

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
I was using a hot airgun to try and preheat my mold but the heat left the mold so quick that it didnt have any effect probably. After casting 100 or so pellets and I got down to a rhyme yes that cast better but all the bad pellets were mixed in. Im a casting noob but im trying not to blame my gear just my techinque. I cheaped out and didnt buy the hotplate when I should have. Thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:27:42 PM by kikko »

Offline Gut2Fish

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2019, 04:55:13 PM »
Propane torch. Just sayin'.

Don't overdo it, that blue flame is ultra hot. It quickly makes a mold evenly warm and you can lick the pins with it too to warm up. Don't overdo it with brass! Steel molds are a no brainer with a torch.
  • Vermont
Dreamin' of my first Big Bore.

Offline Prouzy

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »
Propane torch. Just sayin'.

Don't overdo it, that blue flame is ultra hot. It quickly makes a mold evenly warm and you can lick the pins with it too to warm up. Don't overdo it with brass! Steel molds are a no brainer with a torch.

Good point Garrett!  I had some other things on power, so running out of electrical for a hot plate and the torch is a great idea.

Offline Gut2Fish

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
I put the torch on the bench when setting up to cast. Heat up HP pins in a jiffy or if the pot bottom pour freezes up hit it with torch to get flowing again. Ya know, quick easy portable heat.
  • Vermont

Offline Gut2Fish

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
I didn't even mention how it comes in handy when you don't want to take a long break as you fill up the pot again you can use the torch to melt the lead at top to speed up wait time.
  • Vermont

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: