Just picked up a range finder

Author Topic: Just picked up a range finder  (Read 3561 times))

01ws666

Just picked up a range finder
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:29:34 AM »
Hey guys noticed alot of you use laser range finders and i started realizing how necessary one becomes when shooting anything past 50 yrds with the rate per yard the pellet starts dropping at those distances i dont know how i've gone this long without one lol. Just picked up a simmons tonight $139 @ big 5, came home and checked yardages on surrounding trees right off, one in particular i missed 2 shots at a crow yesterday that i estimated at 80yrds when infact it was a 92yrd shot. 80 should have been 10.7 inches of drop and 6 mill hold over but 92 is 17.2 inches of drop and needed 8 mills hold over. missed by 6.5 inches ... dangit... I love this this thing already haha!

r1derbike

Re: Just picked up a range finder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »
I love mine.  Invaluable.  Wish it had a lighted sight picture, though.  Hard to see in dimming light.

Did the same thing you did; ranged all the trees around me, and made mental notes.

They will set-off laser equipped radar detectors too!  Har!

Charles

01ws666

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I love mine.  Invaluable.  Wish it had a lighted sight picture, though.  Hard to see in dimming light.

Did the same thing you did; ranged all the trees around me, and made mental notes.

Charles
really? Ill have to point mine at the the cheap cobra radar detector i got in the t/a and see what band i get lol.
 Took it out hunting and field target practicing on sunday and took some 8" shoot and see targets out and got my trajectory re-mapped from 20 all the way out to 100yrds which i had done several times before just by pacing it off, but found by checking my paces i was stepping to long and off by almost 10 yrds once i got out to 80 - 90 yards...

Once i got my yardages correct i started realizing the mill dots on this centerpoint scope actually work about perfect with a 40yrd zero at 16x i got -1 mill @50, -2@60, -3@70, -4@80, -6@90 and holding on the post for 100 seemed to work great... After i got her all dialed in had a preety good first day of hunting with it taking 3 rabbits 1@38yrds and 2@20-25yrds.

Feeling pretty confident in my long range shooting decided to hunker down a ways from a little ground squirrel bunker ranging the area of activity between 60-70 yards and made my longest confirmed kill with an airgun to date a laser confirmed 68yrd headshot on a dirt nutter. Had a couple other solid thwacks but nothing else recoverable, all in all was a good day and like the extra confidence knowing exactly how far away what your trying to shoot at is... ;D

Offline Rico14

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »

Charles

Better than taking mental notes, take pictures of all the trees and mark the pics with the distances and put them in a folder
  • California

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.

Sponsored Ad: