New 2017 6.8L Carbon tank for $200 Thoughts?

Author Topic: New 2017 6.8L Carbon tank for $200 Thoughts?  (Read 1619 times))

Online Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: New 2017 6.8L Carbon tank for $200 Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:01 AM »
I might also add the fact that the valves that come on the Drager tanks are really nice IMO.  They're very easy to control the pressure you want.  The two that I've had have been really good and it wasn't until recently that I started topping them off with my F10 Shoebox, prior to that they have always been filled with breathing air so I'd imagine that the inside of the tanks are pretty decent.  Next year I'm going to have Terry inspect them both before he heads back to Florida for the winter again next year.  By the time he gets back in 2020 the tanks will both be over 15 years old so I won't be able to get them re-hydro tested again.

• Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Offline shinyknight

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
I have the same 6.8l bottle. It's CE certified. C doesn't stand for China lol. It's what Europe used vs dot that US used. So don't worried it's gonna blow up. You can also get it dot but will be $105 extra. Get dot, if you don't have a compressor cause they won't fill if it's not dot. I got the CE cause it's cheaper and I have my own compressor to fill it. It came with 2 guage. One for pressure in the tank, one for output. So kinda nice to know when it needs a top off.
  • St Paul, Minnesota, USA

Offline PakProtector

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
I just found unused Drager tanks still in the mfg box but the date is 2008 and they haven't ever been Hydrotested.  They say that they are unused so they're probably really good tanks for filling yourself.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drager-4500psi-SCBA-tank-45-minute-carbon-wrapped-Unused-2008-mfg-date-65-5-SCF/231312000514?hash=item35db450602:g:pd4AAOxyhS9Th9oo:rk:32:pf:0

You could also get them Hydrotested and be good til 2023 if you wanted to get them filled at a dive shop.  Getting them hydrotested cost's about $25

That is a tank with *ABOUT* 5 years left. Excluding the hydro cost, that is nearly $44/year of ownership cost. That is a wee bit more than a new tank costs to own. Hunt ebay for a bit, and $25/year of ownership pricing is available, and sometimes below that. Sometimes significantly, like if you are willing to do some small profit taking on re-sale and buy a few. Let alone what you can often recover when it has two years left when you sell it.
cheers,
Douglas
  • Ann Arbor, MI, USA
My most valuable friends are the ones who will tell me I am wrong.

More valuable still are the ones who go to the trouble of making me see it.

Offline Humdinger

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
So i am browsing around on Aliexpress looking at different sellers for an air pump and i found this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-8L-carbon-fiber-SCBA-air-tank-bottle-cylinder-300-bar-4500-psi-for-breathing-or/32797724875.html

Thoughts?
The key question is whether you're filling it with your own compressor or going to a retailer for fills.  If you have your own compressor it's a good deal.  So is that new Drager from 2008 for $215 including shipping that is DOT certified.  I own my own compressor and have owned a 3L CE certified Acecare tank myself.  I am not afraid of the Chinese made CE certified tanks exploding.   They are just as well made as the DOT tanks sold in the U.S.   
  • CHARLOTTE

Offline dyotat100

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »
Would never buy anything from acecare. I dont think any of there tanks are certified anything.

Last year I inquired on getting .5 liter tanks that were DOT from acecare. They said not a problem and said I had to buy a lot which is 200. I said ok but I need to see your DOT label. After about 2 week I'm finally sent a label.

The label was for a 68 ci 4500 psi paintball tank. Googled the number and the label belonged to a company in Taiwan.

I replied to the email and said nice but that is not your label. Never heard from them again. Was going to be a $22,000 sale. So you see they will do what it takes to sell tanks. But when caught in there lies they are gone.

I have the emails and label.

Just a little info for you.

• CA

Offline SlickWilly

• I can fix anything and metal fabrication is my speciality
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
I bought one of those $75 Drager bottles from the ebay seller in phoenix, its at hydro right now.  It was in rough condition and Thunderbird said they could test it. If it has any signs of damage on the outside they wouldn't have touched it. They come from the Phx Fire department.  I sent it to hydro for piece of mind.  It has a round bottom on it too so i need to make a stand to put it in.  I couldn't see spending $215 vs $75 for the same exact manufacture date on the bottle, doesn't matter if its new and unused or not.

If I had the money to set aside for a chance i would buy a small lot of those bottles and send them to hydro and relist on ebay they would sell faster. Not everyone has a hydro testing facility near them. The place I went to is 60 miles away from me.

I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle with the EU version of testing certification vs DOT, if you are filling it at home.  I don't believe the hype about not being able to transport a non DOT bottle, because fuel cans from china do not contain DOT markings and yet people transport and fill those everyday with fuel. 
  • AZ, Litchfield Park

Offline dcmeyer

• Marksman
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
I bought an MSA H-30, 45cf SCBA tank on ebay with a manufacturer date of 09/09. It was $120 + $20 Shipping and $25 hydro test. $165 total, not including fill adapter.

I think the cost per year is reasonable and I don't have to spent a huge amount up front. By the time hydro expires I hope to have a decent compressor.
  • Apple Valley, CA
RBE .177
Hatsan Flash .25
SIG Sauer SP2022 CO2 Pistol

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.