Reactive/expanding bullet for Slayer .357?

Author Topic: Reactive/expanding bullet for Slayer .357?  (Read 826 times))

Offline J. Gordon Knives

• Shooter
  • yes
Reactive/expanding bullet for Slayer .357?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:17:52 AM »
So I shot a coyote in the chest with my .357 Slayer yesterday. Evidentally I didn't hit the CNS or heart as it took off running. I did hit it square because it flopped on the ground real quick and rolled around a couple times before it darted off. I also heard a loud THWACK! I of course tried to tag it with a couple follow up shots while it was running away, but it was running way too fast. I tracked it for a little bit but lost it. I'm sure it died soon after as the hit was square in the chest. I had stopped it with a bark about 10ft from the call and shot it while it was still. The crosshairs were dead on the center mass/chest when I let it rip, and my zero is VERY true.

So, basically I'm wondering if there are any better bullets I could be using. With the speeds it's going(960-980fps ish) I'm thinking a reactive/expanding bullet is not going to be realistic. I'm using a 135gr lead round nose flat tip from a NOE mould, sized to .358. I chrono'd it in the 960fps-980fps range.

So has anyone else found a round that performs real well with this rifle? Also, I'm no idiot. I've been hunting seriously for over 20yrs and know quick kills are greatly improved by shot placement, shot placement, SHOT PLACEMENT. :D That being said, I was thinking it would be nice to have a bullet with a large hollow point. Obviously penetration isn't much of a problem. It's energy transfer that's the main issue. Any specific bullets, you guys would recommend? I know there are a ton of .357 bullet options with jacketed bullets but am not sure about straight lead. It would be sweet if it'd be possible to run copper jacketed bullets in air rifles. A 124gr Gold Dot or 115gr Hornady FTX, would be the ticket IMO.

I kind of wish they had come out with the .45 first. I'm used to putting coyotes down quick, with one shot using a AR or even my .308 with 110gr Vmax at 3200fps. I have no illusions or unrealistic expectations regarding air rifle's capabilities. It would be nice to be able to drop coyotes with a center mass hit. Again, I know, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Maybe I should look at the Extreme .50 or .72 :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:20:57 AM by J. Gordon Knives »

Offline sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Enjoy today tomorrow is still a mystery !!
Re: Reactive/expanding bullet for Slayer .357?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »
J.  I havent had the opportunity to take a Yote yet but hoping for an opportunity this year. Up until I stopped hunting due to work and lack of decent locations near home I was strictly PB and compound bow hunting and all my harvests were within 50 yards or less. Again on the east coast most property is second growth with heavy brush so long range shots are a rarity. With AG's most guys are going for the fuse box with larger game unless they are using really big bore rifles. Look at Neilson ammo
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S400 .22 UGT 8x16x44  For Sale
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut Hawke 30 SF
Benjamin 392 Bushnell Williams Peep sight For Sale
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal Hawke Endurance SF
BSA R-10 MK II .22 Endurance SF
Evanix Rainstorm II .22 Barska SF
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
Mrod Air PP700 S A .22 w/ Red Dot
RWS 460  .177  Hawke Air Max 4x12x40
WAR WARP .25 Hawke 6x16x50
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline airkrazy

• Neighborhood Sniper
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
A good hollow point should do. The aero magnums performed well in a Bulldog a should be killer with the Slayer. My friend uses Mr Hollow point 140 gr with great success on whitetail. He has his his turned up a bit for the heavier round.
Theatricality and Deception; powerful agents to the uninitiated....

Extreme BigBore .457 carbine lite weight
Cricket .25 (soon to be power tuned by Georgia Airguns)
Gamo Urban .22 Huma reg
Wicked Air Rifle desert tan "FLEX".30 **sold**
Vulcan .25 (a.k.a "The Vulcanator")-sold
FX Bobcat .30 (a.k.a "The Fury")-sold
Synthetic Kalibre cricket compact .22 (a.k.a "The Hooligan")*sold
Crossman 1377
Beeman Crow Mag IV .20cal (Beautiful) **sold**
Bam 40 .22 (TX copy cat)**sold**

Offline stevrom828

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »
I will have a .357 slayer soon and have ordered a ton of diff rounds including about 8 diff hp rounds ranging from 110gn - 165gn I will post wich ones are accurate enough to hunt with!
  • Swartz Creek, mi

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
I use a 127 grain flat nose cast soft lead bullet. Now saying this, I used to swag hydro shock bullets when they were hydro shock, loaded them in half jackets at about 1100 FPS from a 4 inch S&W. Now you can't use the half jacket but I do run all my cast bullets into a .358 swag die and bump them about a 1/4 inch with the hydro shock swag die. This makes a hollow point of the soft lead bullet and leaves the driving bands in place. I believe it also very slightly upsets the lead in the nose of the bullet structure wise because it expands very well at the slayers FPS. The damage on clay is impressive and a exit on a fox or yote is about 1.5 inchs . Non of the critters have gone more then 20 feet. Now I don't think it needs to be a hydro nose punch and your not actually swaging the bullet , just  sizing and bump shaping the nose. I then lube with bike wax. I will try a pic
  • mio mi.

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
2nd pic
  • mio mi.

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
Hey out there any thoughts on the process of making the hydro shock type , cast/swaged bullet out of a cast flat point. Curious as to thoughts on the disruption of lead (nose) at the molecular level, help or not???. They come out of the swag die dead on .358 and change the profile of the nose but leaves the body intact. Any help out there.
  • mio mi.

Offline QVTom

• Vendors
  • Old Timer
    • American Air Arms
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:49 AM »
Max, they look great to me.  I've found the HPs seem to have more accuracy potential due to their more rearward CG.  Are you bleeding any lead when swaging the nose?  If not I'd guess the lead might get a bit denser but I doubt it would affect expansion any.  Results are what matter.

Tom
  • Acton, CA
www.americanairarms.com - Made in the USA

Get on the GTA Members Map!   https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »
No lead bleed off. I just bump them enough to make the hollow point. The side s of driving bands hit the .358 die but no further disruption.
  • mio mi.

Offline 357B

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »
How do jacketed or solid copper rounds shoot out of the Slayer, anyone know? Or would this wreck the rifle? Thanks!
  • Florida

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
I would not shoot copper, solid or not thru the slayer. Now a sabot of nylon/Teflon maybe. I don't even use hard lead and I lube the bullets with bike wax or spray on Teflon.
  • mio mi.

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?