Airguns you shot as a kid

Author Topic: Airguns you shot as a kid  (Read 18965 times))

Offline pault

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Airguns you shot as a kid
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
When I was a kid airguns were a phase you went thru before you were allowed to have a .22 or shotgun. My first was a Daisy lever action. Then after a while I got a Daisy pump bb gun which at the time represented real firepower to me because it was so much more powerful than the lever action and would kill rabbits with a head shot . The pump bb guns now shoot about the same as the lever actions.

• Sagamore Beach , MA

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
Marksman bb/dart/pellet pistol. 1911 look to it.
Had a spring cocker that pulled straight back and about a 2 or 3 inch barrel that tipped up to load.
Very hard to cock for a little kid.
  • Texas
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Blackhawk Elite. Daisy 131.
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline the fuse

• Sharp Shooter
  • Easily entertained
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
I too couldn't have any airguns, as a kid. Dad was a big hunter and thought BB guns were confusing to young shooters. The first BB gun I owned, I bought when I was 50. A Daisy 15xt that is long gone. Bought it on a whim and was quickly bit by the bug.
"When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. All the pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid"
Rifles
Crosman 180
Daisy 822
Mrodair .22 Plinkster
Daisy 74
Crosman AIR-17

Pistols
Smith & wesson 78G
Crosman 38T, Mark I, SA6
Daisy 722, 717, 1200, 118
Beeman P17

Offline wolverine

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
Had a spring cocker that pulled straight back and about a 2 or 3 inch barrel that tipped up to load.

until seeing this post, i had forgotten i once owned a marksman.  i picked it up used somewhere and remember being able to see the bb through it's entire travel from leaving the barrel until arching to the ground.

it was so weak it wouldn't penetrate a soup can.
  • Somonauk, IL
Crosman 2240
Crosman 2260 (lefthanded)-Mountain Air tuned/UTG 4x32AO
.22 Benjamin NP2/Centerpoint 3-9X40AO
.22 Brocock Contour S6/UTG BugBuster 3-9X32AO
.22 Brocock Concept S6/Hawke Vantage 4-12X50AO/Neil
      Clague moderator   
.177 RWS 34/Leapers 4X32AO M.M. Tuned
.177 Custom Shop 2400KT /BSA Red Dot  "Avian Assassin"
.177 HW30s Deluxe/Motorhead tuned

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »

until seeing this post, i had forgotten i once owned a marksman.  i picked it up used somewhere and remember being able to see the bb through it's entire travel from leaving the barrel until arching to the ground.

I don't think my Daisy lever bb gun would put a hole in a soup can either. But it would definitely shoot farther than the Marksman.

If you didn't have the darts, then the Marksman wasn't real useful.
  • Texas

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »

I don't think my Daisy lever bb gun would put a hole in a soup can either. But it would definitely shoot farther than the Marksman.

If you didn't have the darts, then the Marksman wasn't real useful.
Me and my dad tried using my first one to play darts in the hallway, but the accuracy just wasn't there. Now if blowguns were legal here in California that would really make for a fun round of darts.
I still have an older version like you've pictured, but it has a chipped breech seal and won't fire pellets.
A family member bought me an umarex version called the dx17 for Christmas as it was on sale for 10$ and it's a bit more accurate than the marksman. If I had any darts left I'm sure it would shoot them fairly well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:52:11 AM by bantam5s »
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
Blowguns are illegal in California???

What's next on the docket, football? Or maybe apple pie......
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:11:38 AM by 39M »
  • Texas

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline Larry T

• Plinker
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
My first BB gun was a Daisy Red Rider that my mom tossed in the creek at my grandparents house in Virginia. That gun only lasted two weeks. Later, I bought a Crosman 760 with paper route money. I used that till I was about 15, and bought a Crosman 1400, still have it 45 years later, and it still shoots hard. In college I discovered Air Rifle Headquarters, drove down to Grantsville, WV to pick up a S&W 79, and a Norica rifle from Robert Law himself. It was all downhill from there. I've bought, sold and traded a lot of rifles since then, but I still have 30+ air guns of one sort or another.
  • Eastpointe, Michigan
HW80
HW35L
BSA Stutzen, (English Made)
FWB 300U
HW30
HW55MM

Offline Frank in Fairfield

• "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
As a kid?
Before 18?

The only air rifle I had was a Daisy Model 25 my dad bought at a police auction for $.50 in 1957.
I put thousands of BBs through the barrel of that rifle.
I had it and shot it regularly (it went to Viet Nam, South Korea and Berlin, Germany, too) until about five years ago.

I bought some of the Chinese junk Daisy (UMAREX) is dumping on us.
Those Model 25's are good for nothing.
I sent mine back and the one I gave my partner in Kansas was donated to the scouts.

But good things come to those who wait.

This one came a couple of months ago:

A Variant 17.
Shoots absolutely perfect.
An early 72 year old birthday present... ;)
  • Fairfield, CA, USA
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .22   w/Boyd’s Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .25   w/TEREX Stock
Crosman 1720T, Alchemy AirWerks Grips & Forearm
Crosman 2300S
Daisy Model 25, Variant #7
Daisy Red Ryder
FWB300S
HW35E, .177, Beeman/Williams Peep/12fpe VORTEK
RWS Diana 52, .177
Bug-a-Salt

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:11 PM »

I think this was back in the 80's when the whole ninja thing had exploded, but the reason blowguns are illegal is basically because there were quite a few instances of people ( probably mischievous teenagers ) hiding in bushes and shooting passers by in the butt.
It really stinks too, because they can be had online for under 20$ and are a ton of fun.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline Steelontarget

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I think this was back in the 80's when the whole ninja thing had exploded, but the reason blowguns are illegal is basically because there were quite a few instances of people ( probably mischievous teenagers ) hiding in bushes and shooting passers by in the butt.
It really stinks too, because they can be had online for under 20$ and are a ton of fun.
So what is defined as a blowgun?  A kid could get in trouble with a straw and a spit wad.

• Ohio
Crosman 2300KT
Crosman 2400KT
Beeman R1
Beeman R9
Beeman R7
Weihrauch HW30S Deluxe
Weihrauch HW95 Luxus
Crosman Vigilante
Walther PPK
Beretta 92 .177
Benjamin 2260
FWB 300s
RWS Diana K98 .177
Webley MK VI Pellet Revolver
Umarex Trevox

Offline Whirligig

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
Daisy 880 and a Crosman 357.
  • Clayville, NY
Webley Vulcan II, Tomahawk (2)
RWS 52, 54 (2)
Beeman R10, P1, RS2 (2), P17 (3)
BAM B26-2 (2), XS25 (2)
Ruger Blkhwk, Air Hawk
Crosman Vantage NP (6), Storm (3), G1, Crusher, F4, 760, Legacy 1000, 1377, 2240, Vigilante (2), PFM16, 1911BB, NP Trail pistol (3)
Hatsan 155, 135 Vtx, 95, 95 Vtx (4), Tpdo 100X (3), Mod 25 (3), Mod 25 Vtx, Vtx Edge (2)
Weihrauch HW95
Gamo P900
Browning Buckmark
B3-2
Daisy 1101, 415, 426, 5501 (2)
Umarex XCP, P.08, Trevox
Cometa Indian
Mendoza RM600
Tech Force M8, M12

Offline aluminumfetish

• USAF VET
  • Sharp Shooter
  • blargh.
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
The Benjamin 317

My first pellet gun was a real gem. I mean it... My father gave it to my older brother, I got it from my brother when I was in elementary school. The Benjamin 317. It was pretty shot out when I got it. I shot thousands of pellets through that thing. My friend had a 760 but it was a clunky eyesore compared to my classic, dare I say iconic air rifle. In my late 20's I brought it to a place in St. Paul Minnesota. It was called B&B and he resealed it up nice and gave it a going over. I never shot much after reseal. I eventually left it up high in a closet in a rental and didn't realize until it was WAY too late. I still get a bit sad when I think about losing that rifle. There are many like it, but that one was mine :(
AirForce Condor .22 24ish FPE
sold em all but the Condor.
Went back to the .22 long rifle

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:05 PM »

So what is defined as a blowgun?  A kid could get in trouble with a straw and a spit wad.

Very interesting....

When I was just a young lad, I recall my classmates and myself finding an alternate use for the barrel of a plastic bic pen.
The teacher, who was of Burmese decent I believe, would yell out, "No more spit waddles!!", with a typical Burmese accent, as they smacked the chalkboard around him..
I loved that guy. One of my all time favorite instructors.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:47:53 PM by 39M »
  • Texas

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline EMrider

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
I shot and hunted often with my dad and thankfully my patents let me shoot airguns around the house.

The first I can remember was a Daisy model 25 that I put thousands of BBs through.

Then a Crosman 760 and then a Crosman 766. I would plink for hours at a time and put thousands of pellets through those Crosman guns. 

But it wasn't until about five years ago that I started hunting with airguns. Better late than never.

R
  • Pasadena, CA
Beeman R7, .177, P. Watts tune
Beeman R7, .177, R. Hawkins tune
AA pro sport, .177, R. Hawkins tune, 12fpe
HW97k, .177 Vortek SHO kit, 13.5fpe
HW45 pistol, .177
Daisy 747, .177
Crosman 1720t, .177, 14fpe hunter setup
Benjamin Marauder, .22, WAR SSG, MMHF barrel
Hatsan AT44 QE, .22
Taipan Veteran short, .22

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 01:00:41 AM »
I had a 68 Crosman 1400 and 760 that I used to hunt with on the islands of Cocoa Beach as well as a daisy CO2 bb pistol and used them until I was able to save enough grass cutting money to buy my first 12 ga Remington 1100 shotgun in 1970 from my granddads sporting good store for a whooping 180.00 bucks so I could start duck hunting at the age of 14 in the duck blind me and my buddies built.

Those were the good ole days for sure. ;D ;D 8)

Mike
  • Oxford, Alabama
Benjamin Marauder 177 in Boyds blaster stock 
Benjamin Marauder25 Wicked Air rifles bottled
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
FWB 300s Match L 177 Tuned
FWB 300s Match Junior 177 Tuned
Diana 48 177 Vortek Tuned
BAM 40/TX hybrid 177 Vortek Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned
Benjamin Titan NP 22 Tuned GRT trigger
Crosman Titan GP 22 Tuned GRT trigger
Crosman Venom 177 Tuned GRT trigger
Taipan Mutant Standard 22, BSA FFP 4x14x44 scope

Bikes, Guns and Family is all I need for a good day

Offline bantam5s

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »

If it shoots an actual dart with a tip it's illegal.
 I've made myself a legitimate blowgun , but to stay legal I only shoot weighed paper cones without tips. If I was to make tipped " darts " to have fun with dartboard in my hallway I could and nobody would ever know, but it's technically illegal so I won't 😉
  • USA CA Arbuckle

Offline bavaria55n

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
My first BB gun was a Daisy Red Rider that my mom tossed in the creek at my grandparents house in Virginia. That gun only lasted two weeks. Later, I bought a Crosman 760 with paper route money. I used that till I was about 15, and bought a Crosman 1400, still have it 45 years later, and it still shoots hard. In college I discovered Air Rifle Headquarters, drove down to Grantsville, WV to pick up a S&W 79, and a Norica rifle from Robert Law himself. It was all downhill from there. I've bought, sold and traded a lot of rifles since then, but I still have 30+ air guns of one sort or another.

One of my best friends in high school was an Air Rifle Headquarters fan. Remember the Lion Zet pellets? I have his Bavaria55N, it has had tens of thousands of pellets through it.
  • Illinois

Offline Larry T

• Plinker
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »

One of my best friends in high school was an Air Rifle Headquarters fan. Remember the Lion Zet pellets? I have his Bavaria55N, it has had tens of thousands of pellets through it.

I still have a dozen full boxes of the Lion Jet pellets, used some squirrel hunting last fall.
  • Eastpointe, Michigan
HW80
HW35L
BSA Stutzen, (English Made)
FWB 300U
HW30
HW55MM

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Blue Streak, gave it away before I went overseas in the military. Thought I'd be coming home in a box for certain.
  • Nebraska

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: