Tried squirrel for the first time

Author Topic: Tried squirrel for the first time  (Read 1230 times))

Offline dave2288

• Dave
  • Plinker
  • yes
Tried squirrel for the first time
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
Got 3 squirrels, skinned, cleaned, and sectioned em up.  Let em sit 24ish hours in saltwater.  Then i boiled em for a half hour, and ran the meat under cool water.  Deboned and cut into small pieces. Put a can of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, 2 cups of water, a chopped onion, a package of sliced mushrooms and some seasonings with the squirrel in the crockpot.  Let it sit on high for 6 hours.  Put in a bit of flour near the end to thicken it up a bit.  Put it over a bed of egg noodles.  Wasnt sure if i was gonna like it or not, was really hoping i didnt just waste all those hours in prep haha.  I really liked it, definitely different from anything else ive ever tried before, but ill definitely try other squirrel recipes.  Thanks to everyone here, was only from scrolling through this gate for a while that i finally tried it and i think i did everything pretty well.  Wonder what other little critter ill try next ::)
  • tobyhanna, pa
Webley patriot (british made, .25, david slade tuned)

Crosman g-1 extreme (.177, charlie datuna tuned with grtIII trigger)

Gamo viper express

Benjamin superstreak (.22, tuned and tested by shadow, given to a friend)

Tech force 89 (.22, tuned by mike melik @ flying dragons)

Benjamin trail np2 .22 (given to a friend, looking for more)

Xs12 .177 (tuned by mike melik)

Offline bavaria55n

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: Tried squirrel for the first time
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
Sounds delicious.

I like them best fried like chicken. If they are not young put a little water in the pan when they are about done and cover with a lid. Helps tenderize them.

When you get tired (if ever) of your new dish try another!
  • Illinois

Offline mobilemail

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
My wife threw the last ones in the pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. Cooked up quick and tasted yummy!
  • Greene County IL 62016
Hey Daystate, FX, Air Arms and BSA - we need those left handed rifles!!!

Online Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
Dave when I do them in the crock pot it's pretty much like you do but rather than using the creme of chicken I prefer creme of celery instead.  I cook it on low at about 10 hours, I'll add some cooked potato's towards the end and it flavors them up good and tender.
  • Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:55:41 AM »
David, your method of preparing the squirrels works for young or old animals.  I have not tried squirrel over egg noodles yet, but might soon.  You said:  "definitely different from anything else ive ever tried before" and I agree - never ever heard anyone say that "It tastes like chicken".  ;D
My lunch yesterday was leftover squirrel.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
  • The first time I hit it, I missed.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
I've never had squirrel. It looks like all dark meat. Is it kind of tough, and that's why you cook it so long?  Strong flavor?
  • U.P. of MI

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »
I've never had squirrel. It looks like all dark meat. Is it kind of tough, and that's why you cook it so long?  Strong flavor?
Randy, The meat has very little fat and is all dark meat.  As to the toughness, that depends on the age of the squirrel when taken.  Before they are mature, the meat will sometimes cook to a tenderness in about 30 - 45 minutes.  However, I have had some ancient males that required four hours of cooking on low heat before the meat was not rubbery.
Try not to damage any of the the internal organs when you shoot and/or clean the animal.  Yes, I am talking about head and neck shots all the time (if possible.)  When cleaning and gutting the squirrel, look for small, light colored glands in the area between the rear legs.  They are easily removed.  Also look for glands in the armpit area of the front legs.  These glands are often overlooked since they are almost the same color as the meat.  These glands are slightly less reddish and feel a little spongy.  And here come the disclaimer:  Even after all this, some of the squirrels I eat still have a strong gamey flavor.  It ain't chicken!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: