Smothered Squirrel

Author Topic: Smothered Squirrel  (Read 977 times))

Offline JoeV

• Expert
  • yes
Smothered Squirrel
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
Made a batch of squirrel smothered in gravy with onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes. Also made a nice cornbread to push it around and sop up the gravy. Big hit with two of my brother's tonight for dinner. The wife made a BLT! LMBO!

Preheat oven to 350F

I coated 1-1/2# of squirrel quarters with seasoned flour (fresh cracked pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and Old Bay seasoning) and fried them in vegetable oil until both sides were browned. Removed them to paper towels to drain, and poured off all the oil except for about three tablespoons. Tossed in a rounded 1/4C of the remaining seasoned flour and made a roux. Poured in about a cup of chicken broth,and wisked all the "bits" from the sides and bottom of the cast iron pan. I then tossed in 1/2 C diced onions to soften them. Added some more broth while wishing and then toss in carrots and celery and cooked for a couple of minutes. Added the remaining broth from a 48oz can of chicken broth/stock and brought it to a boil. Added diced potatoes, mushrooms and a couple of bay leaves and stirred to blend. Put the fried squirrel in the pot and mix to cover the pieces with gravy. I make sure the squirrel is submerged in the gravy so it cooks thoroughly.

Cover the pot and put in the oven for 2-3 hours until the meat begins to fall from the bones. I checked it at hour two, and let it go for another half hour. This will vary based on the size/age of your squirrels. Young squirrels cook faster than old squirrels.

Once the stew was done I put it on the stovetop, then baked the cornbread. Once it was done, I put the stew back in the,oven on 250F for another hour until my brother's showed up.

I have 13 squirrels in the freezer, so this will be made again.
  • Mentor, Ohio
NRA Life Member
Federation of Fly Fishers Life Member
ARRL Member Since 2010
Grandpa to 4 Great Kids

AirGun List?
I gots a bunch of 'em, and see no end in filling the corral.

Online Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
Re: Smothered Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Some wives do not appreciate our culinary efforts ::) ::) ;D
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .22 w/600 mm Barrel ordered
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe FS
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: