Altaros compressor booster mini review

Author Topic: Altaros compressor booster mini review  (Read 35985 times))

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
Altaros compressor booster mini review
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:22:04 PM »
First off I got one ordered and was shipped next day I believe  and shipping took less than a week to get here (Washington state) and it was undamaged. I was confused on the air  input connector but found out it's a Hi Flow one. Husky sells a kit at Home Depot. Got it setup and has been working great! Has only been working 5.5-6 hrs how I have it setup and I got my Tiger shark tank (71cuft) filled from 0-1900psi so far. So far I'm very happy with it! Seems very well built. It's very quiet as well. These guys are also top notch when it comes to customer service. I think they got a real game changer here! Will continue to add when it gets run more with some pics and possibly a video!
  • Outlook, WA
John 3:16

.177 Nova Freedom
.177 WAR HF barreled Huma regulated LW airtube Synrod
.22/.30 WARP COBRA with DonnyFL Shogun topped with SWFA SS 10x42

Offline wimpanzee

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Altaros compressor booster mini review
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
Thank you for sharing. I've been looking hard at one of these.
  • Kansas City, MO
HW95 .22 (pg2)UTG 3-12x44 Compact Etched
PP700S-A .22truglo 2x42 dot
Taipan Mutant .22Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
Benjamin Synrod .22Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
SamYang 909sopens sights
Winchester 70-.45Hawke 2-7x32

Offline DocMortal

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »
Thx for the mini review.

Keep us posted on the fill times and what the compressor comes with. ;)
  • Socal High Desert
Air Arms MKIII- Sold
Altaros Compressor/Booster=350 psi hr record
FX Wildcat .25
Crosman 1322

Offline Bizill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Did you already mention what compressor you're using to feed it?  PSI going into the Altaros? And how long has it taken to go from 0-1900 on your tigershark?  Nevermind on the time thus far.  You've already answered that.
Taipan Veteran .25 - Ronin LDC
Benjamin P-rod .22 - Sumo LDC
Artemis/Airmax PP-700 .177 - Sumo LDC
CP-1M .177 - Sumo LDC

Taipan/Cricket Mag Holders: http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37132&p=384200#p384200
Bizill@msn.com

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
With how I have my compressor and the booster set up in just under 2 hrs it put in 700 psi. I have a husky Oiless compressor thatís about 10 yrs old. 20 gallon tank 1.9hp motor 4.3 gallon per min at 90 psi and I have it set regulated at 90psi. Could go higher but no need to for my use. You need to play with the input pressure screw to get the right amount of air in there so that my drive compressor runs for about 5 min and shuts off for 2 or so. The thing is really quiet i wish my compressor wasnít so dang loud you would barely be able to hear it in another room if the drive compressor is off. Close the lid then itís very very quiet. Itís so simple yet well built Iím very satisfied with it so far. Only been running it for 2-3 hrs at a time but not cause the Altaros but so my compressor donít die on me. Should get it all the way filled by tomorrow.
  • Outlook, WA

.177 Nova Freedom

Offline BigTinBoat

• Banned Members
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
With how I have my compressor and the booster set up in just under 2 hrs it put in 700 psi. I have a husky Oiless compressor thatís about 10 yrs old. 20 gallon tank 1.9hp motor 4.3 gallon per min at 90 psi and I have it set regulated at 90psi. Could go higher but no need to for my use. You need to play with the input pressure screw to get the right amount of air in there so that my drive compressor runs for about 5 min and shuts off for 2 or so. The thing is really quiet i wish my compressor wasnít so dang loud you would barely be able to hear it in another room if the drive compressor is off. Close the lid then itís very very quiet. Itís so simple yet well built Iím very satisfied with it so far. Only been running it for 2-3 hrs at a time but not cause the Altaros but so my compressor donít die on me. Should get it all the way filled by tomorrow.

WOW - that's a LOT of run time for the primary compressor, especially a 20gal one. 700 psi in 2 hrs sounds right about the Shoebox F10 rate

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
Yeah it is they say you want to try to get it to a 60/40 run time/off time. Keep in mind though it's not very efficient I probably need to upgrade to a new one
  • Outlook, WA

.177 Nova Freedom

Offline Bizill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
That's what I was afraid of, my feeding compressor would run a whole lot.  I wonder how much it would change if I output 125-150psi instead.  I wonder if the time frame would be linear.  Either way, my LOUD compressor would be running a lot in my garage.  But then again, if I only had to fill a guppy tank...it wouldn't be so bad. 
CP-1M .177 - Sumo LDC

Taipan/Cricket Mag Holders: http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37132&p=384200#p384200
Bizill@msn.com

Offline customcutter

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »

WOW - that's a LOT of run time for the primary compressor, especially a 20gal one. 700 psi in 2 hrs sounds right about the Shoebox F10 rate

BTB, he is only running the primary compressor at 90PSI, so I would expect it to cycle on and off a lot more frequently.  You say that 700 PSI  in 2 hrs sounds about right for the Shoebox F10, I'm assuming that is from 0 fill, and a similar size compressor, cycling at 90PSI.   

One thing to remember the higher the feed supply pressure and volume the quicker the fill times. 

thanks,
Ken
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline customcutter

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »
Yeah it is they say you want to try to get it to a 60/40 run time/off time. Keep in mind though it's not very efficient I probably need to upgrade to a new one

I hope that's only for "smaller" size compressors.  I just bought a used 60 gallon.  My 20gal died about a month ago, I've been halfway attempting to repair it and also watching Craigslist for a deal.  I called about a newly listed one this AM, and the guy said he didn't really want to sell it but his daughter was in St Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, in need of a heart transplant.  He was selling it for gas money to get back and forth from his home in Lakeland.  I said, don't worry about it, it's sold.  I'll be there as soon as I get through with my route this afternoon.  Sometimes God comes along and pushes you off of the fence...
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline BigTinBoat

• Banned Members
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:41:54 PM »

BTB, he is only running the primary compressor at 90PSI, so I would expect it to cycle on and off a lot more frequently.  You say that 700 PSI  in 2 hrs sounds about right for the Shoebox F10, I'm assuming that is from 0 fill, and a similar size compressor, cycling at 90PSI.   

One thing to remember the higher the feed supply pressure and volume the quicker the fill times. 

thanks,
Ken

How so? I would think that if he were to increase his output (both pressure and volume) then his compressor would stay on even longer, no?

Offline Bizill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
Your 60 gallon should cycle far less times than would my 33 gallon and Dairyboy's 20 gal.  My buddy had an 80 gal and had a plasma cutter that ran at a constant 150 psi and it didn't cycle nearly as much as I would have imagined.  And not just 150 psi at a low cfm, but a HIGH cfm.  I'd guess the cfm needed to run the Altaros is pretty low and mostly the higher pressure is needed.  So 60 gallon would be the way to go for a primary.
CP-1M .177 - Sumo LDC

Bizill@msn.com

Offline customcutter

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »

thanks,
Ken

How so? I would think that if he were to increase his output (both pressure and volume) then his compressor would stay on even longer, no?

I was talking generalities not just DB's small compressor.  Yes, if he increased the output pressure it would have to run longer, but would hopefully in turn cycle on and off less frequently.   I don't quite understand why Altoros is suggesting having the compressor run at a 60/40 cycle?  Unless it has something to do with maybe heating of the air in the compressor before it goes to the booster?  Maybe condensation?
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 09:48:37 PM »
The 700 psi is just under 2 hrs is less fill than I expected. But then again, it was on an empty tank, which contrary belief, takes a while to show pressure. Takes a LOT of air to fill the empty tank before any pressure starts to show. That, and 90 psi input is a bit low for a booster pump such as this. So higher input should help a lot!

My first generation S. Box does 250 psi in a 88cf suba bottle. This is at 3600 to 4000. After that, it fills faster. Go figure!

I am VERY!!! interested in this new booster pump, but is is going to have to outperform what I have here now.

It has been pointed out, that calling it a compressor is wrong here on the forum, as it requires an additional compressor to supply the low side air. Well, this is correct, yet the persons pointing this out referred to the Shoe Box as a Compressor. Well, it also requires low side input pressure from a separate compressor. Hello!!! both are technically boosters. The real advantage is the Altros is a true booster pump in the way it is operated, as it requires NO power source from an electric drive or gas drive motor. The same input compressor both supplies firstage air, and drives the pump.

A real win-win if it can out pace the Shoe Box, at a much lower cost.
My hope is it will be more reliable than the Shoe Box. They are Much Better Now, with the silicone oil feed than the old days of dabbing on grease on the piston rods every two hours.  But the altrose dose not require any of this.  ;)

Knife
  • Central Texas

Offline BigTinBoat

• Banned Members
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 09:54:10 PM »

I was talking generalities not just DB's small compressor.  Yes, if he increased the output pressure it would have to run longer, but would hopefully in turn cycle on and off less frequently.   I don't quite understand why Altoros is suggesting having the compressor run at a 60/40 cycle?  Unless it has something to do with maybe heating of the air in the compressor before it goes to the booster?  Maybe condensation?

His "small" compressor? In my book a 20gal portable is on the large side. Heck the one I have for my shoebox is 3 gals.

Only way I see less cycling is to increase the storage volume.

I think the Altaros will use MUCH more input air then the SB as it uses the air as a "power source" too.

I see guys thinking they are going to "replace" their shoebox with this and use the same primary compressor. Probably not going to work well.

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »
As far as the input connector on the back of the Altaros goes, does it have threading that will accept an American standard 1/8" or 3/8" fitting?  I have a lot of fittings here ands would not want to have to drive 45 miles one way just to pick up a kit from Home Depot. LOL

My Primary comp. is 5 hp. 90 gal, 145 psi at 125 cfm. Don't see a problem there. Brand if it matters is Ingerson Rand. But is is going to have to be able to out pace the SB for me to go for one. So far, I haven't seen a fill time at the recommended max of ??? psi. I have seen 140-145 and 150 recommended by the manufacturer. But I am too mathematically illiterate to figure out their charts in liter's. All I have found so far is liters of water. Not liquid for the formula. LOL. And a 88 cf scba will NOT hold 88 liters of liquid. Only Air at pressure. So their charts are for my feeble mind useless. Grrrrrr!!!
Knife
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:03:38 PM by KnifeMaker »
  • Central Texas

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
1900-2400psi at 70 mins...I'm impressed with it but that's just me.

The threads on the input are a BSPP 1/4 Female thread. If you can find one that can go to a normal connector let me know  ;D
  • Outlook, WA

.177 Nova Freedom

Offline Bizill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »
They emailed me yesterday something about getting in new input nipples for the US.
CP-1M .177 - Sumo LDC

Bizill@msn.com

Offline zoominx55

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »
...The real advantage is the Altros is a true booster pump in the way it is operated, as it requires NO power source from an electric drive or gas drive motor. The same input compressor both supplies firstage air, and drives the pump.

From looking at the pics on the website, and ready DairyBoy's posts, there is a power source for the Altaros Booster. You have to specify which type of power adapter you want (US, etc) when ordering.  There is a picture on their site of the back of the box with a power cord coming out.

• Bellevue, WA
Daisy Red Ryder (from the '40s)
Crosman P1377
Daisy Powerline 880
Marauder .177 with Wood Stock
Air Arms Alfa Proj

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
Please watch the vid. The power source does NOT run the compressor. It has no electric motor.  Unless I completely misunderstood the description on their site, the power is for the auto psi shutoff.  Your "Primary" air source runs the Altros.

Sure hope they can so something with the input nipple. I would hate to get one in and not be able to get the proper inlet to run it!

Knife
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:21:07 AM by KnifeMaker »
  • Central Texas

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?