June 2016 The Benjamin Maximus .22

Author Topic: June 2016 The Benjamin Maximus .22  (Read 15736 times))

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
June 2016 The Benjamin Maximus .22
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
The new Benjamin Maximus was introduced this year as a less expensive, entry level, Precharged Pneumatic air rifle capable of taking small game.  It arrived at my door on the morning of June 10, 2016; and the barrel was quickly cleaned in preparation for shooting (barrel was relatively clean.)  It had about 1,000 pounds per square inch of pressure when it arrived.  So airing it to 2,000 PSI took only about 50 strokes of the Benjamin hand pump.  Next the fiber optics sights were removed before installing the scope.  The Benjamin sling that I received with the rifle (but purchased separately) was fitted to the rifle.
Everything was ready for the sighting process to begin.  I shot five Crosman Premier Hollow Point pellets to locate the point of impact.  Then I switched to the Crosman Premier Box Domes 14.3 gr that I plan to use for hunting squirrels.  With the first adjustment to the scope completed, a couple more pellets were sent to the target.  One more adjustment to the scope centered to point of impact.  Five shots (one flyer) placed four in a tight circle the size of a nickel.  Total number of shots = about a dozen.
First impressions of the rifle: 
1- Accurate   
[size=78%]2- Light and durable looking - should be ideal for hunting[/size]
3- Hollow plastic stock caused the rifle to feel a bit muzzle heavy
4- Loading is easy - even with the scope mounted
5- The barrel band is farther forward than the one on the Discovery rifle - that is a plus for me
6- Sling studs already installed - another plus [even though they needed to be drilled larger to fit the Benjamin sling swivel  >:( [/size][size=78%]][/size]
7- At the current price, the rifle should be a hot seller.

I would give the new Maximus FOUR stars out of a possible five!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The 3rd GTA Musketeer (per Gene Curtis)
Re: June 2016 The Benjamin Maximus .22
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
Good solid review on the Maximus.  I was going to do a review on my Maximus .22 but no need as your description is spot on, even down to the brown box CPL's  :)

I agree, at the offered price it should sell well. 

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Offline Booger

• Media
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Deceased
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
I do not like youz peoples. I am selling my extra guns so I can buy a compressor. I do not need to see this stuff, because it is making me lust. :( I would like to have one in both .22 & .177. LOL
  • Rice, Texas
.177 Puffers
Daystate MK4
MROD Rocker tuned
Varmint F/S
.22 Puffers
Daystate Air Wolf MTC F/S $1865 + shipping & Ins
Jumpers:
.22 Diana K98
.22 Hatsan 95
.177 NP2 Upgrade Trigger F/S $175 Shipped

Heirloom:
.177 Pro Sport 12 FPE - Rowan Eng. set back trigger, alum trigger guard, adj butt pad, tuned with Maccari parts, refinished stock that is amazing.
Sun Optics 4-14X44  FFP really nice scope.

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
Did a lot of shooting in the backyard range today after installing a TKO.  Did pellet grouping tests with all the .22 cal pellets on my shelf and found out it really likes  Predators, CPL's, JSB Exact Express, JSB Exacts, Beeman FTS, Kodiaks and GAMO Hunters.  Gave great groups on every one of those pellets.  I did the final sight in with the brown box CPL's. 

On a 2000 psi fill my rifle is giving me 20 good hunting shots with shots 21-25 starting to show a drop in POI. 

My only complaint is that every once in a while the bolt will "pop up" when I fire.  Doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while but it annoys me so I'll address that issue. 

Spent about 2 hours in the range and had a blast  :)   First chance I get I'm gonna head over to a local vegetable farm I hunt on that's loaded with woodchucks and see if I can get her her first harvest  :)

Great little rifle, really happy I bought it.  :)

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
Hey, Jesse; listen to this:  Maximus!  Maximus!  Maximus!  Maximus!
Doesn't that sort of get your juices stirring!
Jeff, one of the first thing I installed on the new Maximus was the rubber band for the bolt.  Not beautiful, but it works for me.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »
You read my mind Mike :)

My .22 disco doesn't have this problem but my .177 disco does and the rubber band worked like a charm so  gonna "install" one on the Maximus as well  :)

Like you said, it's not beautiful but it works great.

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »
For those of you that have a Discovery or Maximus with the bolt problem (the bolt doesn't close firmly), this is the rubber band fix we were talking about.  Too easy not to give it a try - you might like it! 
Just loop it over the end of the bolt after loading.

Offline 56S

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »
Alrighty now.  Just got my Maximus kit today from Crosman.  $300.21 shipped including a Fathers Day special 760 pumpmaster.  Initial impressions were not good at all.  Although packed well the freebee included pellets escaped their tin, rattled all over the box, including one lodged in the muzzle and somehow the lid managed to get back on the empty tin.  Some slight lead marking all over the gun too.  Not worth sending it back.  I will call Crosman or write them a note about it.  Gun had 1,000 PSI in the chamber.  The bore wasn't as dirty as expected and after cleaning it took 50 pumps with the included hand pump to bring it to 2,000 PSI.  Shooting the included pellets I started with 5 shots in the 805-810 range.  4 shots later it was 818 and climbed to a high of 832 with the vast majority were between 825-830 for 17 shots.  Seems like the sweet spot was 1800 to about 1400 for these 17 shots.  Mind you these were the Crosman Piranha pellets that were loose in the box.
After pumping it back up to 2,000 PSI I mounted a spare BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 and went to shooting paper using some Walmart 14.3 HP from the tin.  The first 10 shots were used to sight it in and the next five made one sub 1/4" group at 30 yards.  In the wind.  Not a breeze, but some good wind.  I shot it down to 1,250 PSI popping clover flowers off the stems and proved the target was the norm for this gun.  21.4 FPE measured 6' from the muzzle and tiny groups with cheap pellets?  Heck yeah I'm happy!

Now, what to do about the horrible, terrible, awful trigger.
  • Ohio West Lafayette

Offline JWOAdventures

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:43 PM »
 Great reviews... you guys have me tempted to buy one.

Jay

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »
Jeremiah, the Maximus is not a twin to the Discovery; rather it is a younger brother.  If you would like a fine shooting, light weight, accurate, and inexpensive rifle, the Maximus is for you.  GO FOR IT!  JMHO.

Offline lordinvincible

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »

there are good write-ups on the three screw Discovery trigger (same as the Maximus one) mod along with using a ball point pen spring to replace the factory trigger return spring.  It's super easy to do the simplified version of the two screw mod sans the one under the trigger guard + the spring replacement.  It made my trigger a lot better than the form it came from the factory. 

Also get the TKO brake.  It makes the gun shot sound like mouse fart.
  • cottage grove mn
HW30S .177
HW50S .177
Beeman R9 .20
Benjamin Maximus .22
Marauder Pistol .22 with MMHF Barrel
Synrod .177
Crosman 2300S
Crosman 2400KT .177, .22 with 14'' LW barrels
Crosman 1300kt  .177 14'' LW barrel

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
I let the Maximus sit for a couple weeks while my Judy and I went to Tennessee.  Upon our return, I checked the pressure gauge and saw that it had not changed any.
I went out in the back yard to do some shooting - (it is okay because school is out for summer vacation).  I had a paint can that was no longer usable.  I shot it  about eight times.  No misses at about 30 yards.
That brings the shot count to about 20 on a 2K fill and I still have 1,200 PSI.  Maybe what the advertisement says is true concerning the shout count - up to 30 shots on a fill.  But for hunting, I probably would not go much below 1,200 PSI.
I am liking this rifle more each time I put my hands on it.

Offline Tater

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Great reviews guys.

I do not like youz peoples. I am selling my extra guns so I can buy a compressor. I do not need to see this stuff, because it is making me lust. :( I would like to have one in both .22 & .177. LOL

I'm with ya Boog, and well said.   :D
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
If you haven't marked your turf yet (GTA member map), please do. No registration, just enter zip code and board name.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock
P17 - (my wife's)
2240 - Won it at Matt's (Shaky Sarge) fun shoot

Offline 56S

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »

there are good write-ups on the three screw Discovery trigger (same as the Maximus one) mod along with using a ball point pen spring to replace the factory trigger return spring.  It's super easy to do the simplified version of the two screw mod sans the one under the trigger guard + the spring replacement.  It made my trigger a lot better than the form it came from the factory. 

Also get the TKO brake.  It makes the gun shot sound like mouse fart.

I did my own version of these mods.  The biggest grit producer in the trigger group was the sear spring to sear interface.  Unfortunately adjusting the overtravel screw to the point I like it causes the sear to drag on the hammer giving reduced and inconsistent velocities.  The trigger is much, much better but still a little heavy.  It's a hunter so it I will adapt.  The pretravel screw for the trigger didn't do much for me so out it came.  I did drill a hole in the bottom of the stock to allow adjustment of the screw that limits sear engagement .

The first tin of 500 is empty.  My spinners are beat up, the Starlings have learned anything within 50 yards is my land and a coon going after the Chickens is now Buzzard fodder.

What I have learned:

My HW95 is HEAVY!

I like the exercise I get pumping the gun back up.  At nearly 60 and in a management position I don't get enough exercise at work.

The Synco is consistent.  No changing POI on this one.  The shots between 2,000 and 1,850 are not as accurate as the 1,850 down.  Once velocity drops off you can shoot this gun down to about 800 PSI before you hear the Buuuuuurrrrp of the hammer bouncing.  Those remaining shots fall off is a nice line.  As long as you don't have scope cant.

• Ohio West Lafayette

Offline Wimpod1

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »
I'm a little disappointed in the Crosman Customer Service Dept. and disgusted in their Quality Control.  I've sent my .177 Maximus back with their postage paid label with the, what I thought was an agreement that once they received the shipping notice they would send out a replacement gun.  I haven't received a shipping notice after several contacts with them.  Just a reply email asking to spell my last name and zip code.  This information they already had during the initial contact. ( Sorry just venting, had to return two Amazon orders also but those went super smooth. )  I really wanted to get this set up for my father before I headed back on vacation but looks like I'll end up shipping it sometime later.  I've already posted the issue with my barrel lacking rifling and no crown.  Seems I should have gone with the .22 version, it still sounds like a low cost winner.
  • Warner Robins, GA
BEEMAN-P1-177, Tempest-177*22, Huricane-177
BENJ-EB22,Titan-22, Marauders-22*25/22-PRod/Disco 22
BROWNING-800-177*22
IZH-46
CROSMAN-1077, 2240,1377, 3576W,Phantom
GAMO-CFX, Shawdow EX SG, Comp. Pistol
REM-Summit-177
RUGER-Air Magnum, MK1
RWS-34-22, 34P-177, 45-177, 48-177, 52-22, 350-22, 460-22, 5G-177, LP-8-177
UMAREX-Desert Eagle-, S&W 357, BERETTA 92,PX4 Storm, Steel Storm
WALTHER-Talon-177
USAF RET. Hey, what can I say? When friends come over, there's plenty of toys to play with.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
Mr. TKO (Mike Tiehen) must have shipped my LDC five minutes after he received my order.  I placed my order on Friday (June 24) at about 2 p.m. and received it in the morning mail about 9 a.m. today (June 30).
After shooting twenty pellets through it, my opinion is that it is quieter than the AC Custom Shroud that I have on my Discovery.  THANKS MIKE!
The Maximus is using about 800 PSI of air for those 20 shots [as mentioned in an earlier post.)  The wind was moving the pellets around a little.  <--- If I had been shooting at real squirrels, I may have missed one out of the twenty shots.   ;)

Offline Tater

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 03:33:36 PM »
Looks like a TKO is easier to put on a Maximus vs. a Disco, without getting in the way of the fill connector.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
If you haven't marked your turf yet (GTA member map), please do. No registration, just enter zip code and board name.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock
P17 - (my wife's)
2240 - Won it at Matt's (Shaky Sarge) fun shoot

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »
Jerry, that is a TRUE statement!  Immediately after I got the TKO positioned firmly on the barrel, I charged the Maximus up.  NO PROBLEM attaching the fill line.  However, there is a little problem with my gun case - now it is too short for the Maximus.  Academy, here I come.  ;D

Offline Hatsanman13

• Air Powered Pellet guns
  • Plinker
  • yes
    • The Pellet Sizer
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 09:19:02 AM »
Great reviews... you guys have me tempted to buy one.

Jay
  me to  ;D
  • Tallahassee Florida
Relax,stay focused with each shot ! Enjoy each shot. A springer shooter for over 50+ years.
F1 Benjamin trail np2 air rifle scope wood stock.22 Chrony 800 fps+-3 8-2016
F1 Hatsan 135 .22  Chrony Vortex #5 953 fps H&N Sniper 14.0 gr.
F1 Ram #4 135 990.9 fps 31.2 lbs 03-27-2015
F1  Ram #3 135 824.9 fps 21.8 lbs 08-12-2015
Leapers 4x16x56x30mm scope #13 still holding point.
Total cost to date $488.00 on gun alone.
Piston since (Oct 2013)
Hatsan 135 .22 CP 4x16x40m - (2013
Webley Scott Vulcan .177

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 07:31:02 AM »
I just came across the AirGunWeb (Rick Eutsler, Jr.) review of the .22 Maximus that Rick bought.  It is short and to the point; and even has a little hunting segment at the end.

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: