GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

GTA directory > GTA Announcement Gate

2018 Gene Curtis Memorial GTA Fun Shoot/Airgun Show

(1/73) > >>

ezman604:
Okay, it's now official. After a road trip to meet with Eric and look over the area this weekend, we have set the location and dates for this years event.
Location is the Tri-County Expo Center - 1213 Industrial St - Horseshoe Bend, AR. Dates are 18-20 May. Make your plans to attend and spread the word.
The Expo Center is 11,000 sq ft of climate controlled space. There is enough room for roughly 90 vendors to set up. I wish we had that many but...LOL.
We have also invited the Rimfire Central forum folks to set up the first ever rimfire only show. So, we will hopefully have a bunch of airguns and rimfire offerings to look at, buy, sell or trade. I have asked our GTA vendors to let me know if they want to reserve tables. Also, if any members want to bring airgun items to sell or trade, let me know. I'm sure we can make arrangements for you to have space to set up.
The Expo Center has restrooms and a concession area.
Outside the building is a short walk to the levy of Eric's lake. We have decided the best place to set up the firing line will be on the levy. There will be 2 each 20x40 tents set end to end as our covered firing line. But feel free to bring your pop-ups, tables and chairs. There is ample room for all. We have a LONG range to set up targets. Feel free to bring golf carts, bicycles or 4-wheelers also. And please bring any targets and stands you can. I have several that I am bringing. As with Gene's location previously, we have trees at a distance we can string bells or any other hanging targets to make it a challenge and interesting. And as usual we will have our paintball shooting competition with gift certificates furnished by Pyramyd Air along with trophies for the top 2 shooters in each class of springer, PCP up to and including .25cal and PCP of .257cal and above. Also known as Big Bore.
Inside the Expo Center we will have our usual tables set up for registration, purchasing GTA wear and for purchasing raffle tickets. We will have many items displayed that you can purchase raffle tickets to win. These items are donated by our fantastic supporting GTA vendors and members. All proceeds go to supporting your forum and paying the expenses of this our annual event. We always plan a GTA feast for lunch on Saturday. I am looking at several options but the best I've heard so far is to have a locally famous BBQ caterer come out with his trailer and fix us up plates of pulled pork, chicken, ribs and maybe other items. I'm still looking into the options but we will have a GTA furnished meal on Saturday. It's always good. :)
This is a very rural area. Not around any big cities. This is good and bad. I actually like the country feel of it. You drive through one "town" or community of around 1,000 population and drive almost immediately into another. It is a time share vacation type of place with all kinds of lodges, motels and marinas and such around. There are large chain motels/hotels but most are roughly a 30 minutes or more drive. But there's plenty of lodging within 30 minutes or less.  Teresa is picky about accommodations, believe me. We looked at a few and have a good suggestion. We recommend Hardy's Spring River Lodge.
http://www.hardysspringriverlodge.com/
The rooms are nice and the rates are about the same for all lodging in the area at $70 or less. I will be getting a call from the manager this week with a discount code for GTA. We need 10 or more rooms booked to get the discount. I don't think we will have a problem filling 10 or more rooms. :)
Don't call for reservations until you get the code from me. But I would like to get a rough count of those that plan on making the trip and reserving a room. This motel is neat and clean as well as it having more things available in the immediate area like eateries, groceries and the old downtown area to walk and shop. We were impressed with that. I hope we and you have time before or after the event to visit the downtown area. The motel has a free continental breakfast, Wi-Fi and a heated pool. Rooms have fridge, microwave and cable TV.
If flying in, the nearest major airports are Memphis, Springfield, MO and Little Rock, AR. I believe Memphis is the closest with just over a 2 hours drive to the venue. The others are roughly 3 hours away. There are municipal airports in Salem, Melbourne and Mountain View you can check on to see if you can get a puddle jumper to get you in closer than Memphis.
Here is the Expo Center:

Expo Center inside:

This is a view of the lake from the back side where we recommend camping and RV parking:

Follow the levy to the right and you will see the roof of the Expo Center. Firing line will be set up on the levy shooting toward the left in this picture. PLENTY of room for the firing line.

I have added a poll. I need a rough idea how many folks WILL attend. I need to know if any need indoor table space. I need to know if you plan on primitive camping or bringing in an RV. There is room for all but we do need an idea.
I also need to know if you want to reserve a room at the Hardy's Spring River Lodge. It's a great replacement for the Ramada Rowdy's hangout. LOL
I hope to see all of you there. Let's make it a great event. We can't do it without YOU!!!
SAFE & Happy Shooting!!!!
Dave
 8)

Just off the phone with Hardy's Spring River Lodge. We have 20 rooms of the bottom floor blocked off and can have more if needed. The discount rate is pretty good I think.
Room with 1 queen bed $56 per night plus tax.
A twin queen or king room $62 per night plus tax.
Please call and make your reservations ASAP. Tell them you are with the GTA group. They will give you the discounted rate.
http://hardysspringriverlodge.com/
(870)856-4001

Geoff:
will the rimfire people have their own area to shoot, or will they be joining us ?

ezman604:
Their event is a show. Ours is a Fun Shoot/Airgun Show. IF there is rimfire shooting, for safety and management purposes we will share the same firing line. I personally don't see that as an issue.

mobilemail:
Was there discussion of allowing/arranging tailgate or trade blanket items for sale for folks who might have a few trinkets but can't justify a table?

Rabbit\Squirrel Killer:

--- Quote from: ezman604 on February 12, 2018, 03:49:51 PM ---
This is a view of the lake from the back side where we recommend camping and RV parking:

--- End quote ---

That looks more like a pond than a lake, is there more lake out of frame?

My son lives in Clever Mo. which is probably about 2 hours and 15 min. away, I would like to make it back but doubt I will be able to in May.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version