Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: In the meantime...  (Read 540 times))

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
In the meantime...
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:22:59 PM »
Found some more nice walnut this week, I couldn’t resist taking a break of the rifle stock making. I’ve been wanting to give my Crosman 150 a nice set of wood grips for a while, the opportunity presented itself early this week. I came upon some small but nice pale curly walnut pieces that would make some real ’’chic’’ grips!

I sealed the wood as soon as I got it this week so it was easily workable this morning. I knew exactly what I wanted as for the style, so it wasn’t too long the final shape was carved out and sanded smooth. I like a thumb rest and a palm swell so that’s what I did, too bad the wood was only a 1/2’’ thick. But, they fit very nicely in the hand!

The grips are almost finished, now I just need to finish closing the grain and finish them smooth. Seeing the condition of the grip frame in the pics makes me want to re-do it. I have some VHT bake-on wrinkled finish black paint, haven't used it yet but that the best opportunity for a first 8) .

Hope you like the view!

Offline pgritty

• Marksman
  • yes
Re: In the meantime...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 11:51:18 PM »
That's going to be a nice set.
Pat
  • Houston Texas

Offline brewbear

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 12:08:56 AM »
Excellent work! If that gun is as good a shooter (and all of mine are) as the rest of the 150s, it certainly deserves a beautiful set of grips and you are doing it justice.
  • USA, CA,

Offline 19Sheridan57

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 07:12:22 AM »
  Looks great !
  A friend wanted some hardwood grips made & I got some " Osage Orange " for him from out West. WOW. That wood is hard !!
He made this knife for me using that wood for the handles.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:15:10 AM by 19Sheridan57 »
  • Florida

Offline Air Head

• I think I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure of that anymore.
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 10:35:01 PM »
They look Great!

But it's like painting one wall of a room, it looks so good you notice imperfections in the others you didn't notice much before!

Now you opened a can of worms! (a fun can though)

That is pale walnut, I saw the picture and read your post as curly maple  ::) because that's what was in my mind from the picture,  :o
I thought curly maple, I re-read it and it said walnut.....How'd that happen!

Cheers!
Rich
  • Stalingrad, California USA
The best things in life are....
financially out of my reach...

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:41:08 PM »
Great work on some real beautiful wood there.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
PCP? I never touched the stuff !
No, it's a type of airgun !
Oh!, no I don't have one of those.

Offline Van

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:30:22 AM »
   You can find some beautiful wood at the Woodcraft Stores chain, or I found these at a small private owned woodturning store.  With a bandsaw you can cut a lot of grip blanks from some bowl turning blocks like these.  The two on the left are figured maple and the last one on the right is curly walnut.  They are 6x6x2"     
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:33:26 AM by Van »
  • Kentucky

Offline 45flint

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 09:55:20 AM »
Absolutely love figured wood!  Takes the pistol to another level.
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 12:06:28 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys! :D

I applied the seventh coat of oil today, and you could actually see bubbles at the surface of the wood while the oil was sucked in, it's still very thirsty! Nice thing is it's darkening with each addditional coat of oil :) .

I started sanding the castings flashes on the grip frame, should be able to finish it and paint and bake it tomorrow. While at it I'll also re-do the sights in satin black.

More to come.

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 03:06:11 PM »
The wrinkled finish paint turned out real nice (hard to see well in full sun light though), but I applied juuuust a bit too much. The ''size'' of the wrinkles depends on the thickness of the paint, I applied 4 thin coats but 3 would have been better. I love the result nonetheless, and will re-use that paint for sure! The sights almost look new with a fresh coat of satin black, glad I re-did them too. (I used VHT Brake Caliper satin black paint for the sights.)

Here are a few pics of the grip frame and sights before baking. I'll re-post pics of the parts when they're cooked lol!

Offline Air Head

• I think I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure of that anymore.
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 04:58:28 PM »
That can of worms you opened up is coming along Real Nice!
Can't wait to see it all finished.

Cheers!
Rich

• Stalingrad, California USA
The best things in life are....
financially out of my reach...

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
That can of worms you opened up is coming along Real Nice!
Can't wait to see it all finished.

Cheers!
Rich

;D Thanks Rich! Glad you like the project :D .

It's coming together rather nicely I think, my first try at wrinkled finish paint is decent ;D . I now confirm that 3 light coats are more than enough for a nice finish, I shouldn't have put a fourth one. The wrinkles are very textured, a wee bit too much for my taste, but fortunately I didn't ruin it.

The sights came out real nice and will pleasantly complement the newly painted grip frame and wood grips! Some pictures of the baked parts:

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »
Today I finished quite a few details that were left to do on the pistol : repair and re-blue the buggered screw heads, clean and remove rust if needed from the OEM blued steel parts, de-burr, polish and re-lube the trigger parts. I also made some plastic shim washers for the trigger blade, so no more side play. Then the grip frame assy. was put back together ready to be bolted back on the tube.

I had the ’’upper’’  dis-assembled for a little clean-up, so I put it back together after a good mink oil treatment of the metal, along with a fresh coat of silicone grease on the TP seal. Also applied 2 drops of 30W ND oil to the hammer before re-assembly.

I can say I’m really satisfied with the final outcome of this ’’supposedly short job’’ ;D . I seriously didn’t thought I’d go that far, I just wanted a nice set of wood grips at the start :o .  Here are some picture of the finished pistol, with the OEM grips :

Offline Latches

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 06:55:34 PM »
My Crosman 150 Portable Shooting Kit came from the flea market with some really ugly stickers and mismatched grips.

The folks who replaced my kitchen floor with white oak left behind a few cutoffs.

So I decided to make copies of the Crosman Grips, a bit thicker to more comfortably fit my hand in quarter sawn while oak.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:58:07 PM by Latches »
  • Denver, CO, USA

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
My Crosman 150 Portable Shooting Kit came from the flea market with some really ugly stickers and mismatched grips.

The folks who replaced my kitchen floor with white oak left behind a few cutoffs.

So I decided to make copies of the Crosman Grips, a bit thicker to more comfortably fit my hand in quarter sawn while oak.

This is nice work Marshall, your grips have a nice honey sheen to them, they fit the gun quite nicely :D . The rest of the pistol seem to be in pretty good condition too!

Cheers, Francois

Offline Latches

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 06:34:56 PM »
Thank you Francois: That finish required one coat of Wood Kote Paste Wood Filler, oak color, one coat of Varathane Summer Oak stain, four coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly and, most importantly, a lucky choice of light for the photo.
  • Denver, CO, USA

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »
Update: I did some checkering tests on a scrap piece of the same wood the grips are made of, in 16 and 20 LPI (lines per inch). The original checkering on the plastic grips is 16 LPI as far as I can measure, and it's easier to cut in this wood so I'll go with that. More to come.

Offline happymecanic

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 07:37:31 PM »
I did some more checkering tests in black walnut and birch, both look pretty good!

I also started the checkering job on the 150 grips. Need to go slow and be very consistent on the tool pressure. I applied danish oil after the first cut (about 1/3 of the finished depth) to avoid breaking a point on the next cut in this very dry wood. First picture shows the bare wood, second pic with oil applied.

Will update with more pics as soon as I can 8).

Offline brewbear

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 10:11:23 PM »
Outstanding job!
  • USA, CA,