Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Competition Electronics 538002-SSI ProChrono Digital Chronograph  (Read 210 times))

Offline mikeyb

• Expert
  • yes
Competition Electronics 538002-SSI ProChrono Digital Chronograph
(Originally purchased Nov 2018 through Amazon)

When I first set up my chronograph in 2018 I thought it was broken. Learned it was my fluorescent shop lights AND the first LED utility light I tried that were "pulsing" right in the critical frequency range which caused massive read errors. I solved the problem by using a 500W incandescent (NO pulsing) utility light that has worked flawlessly the last 3+ years... until the bulb burned out! I could have just replaced that bulb but I really wanted something more efficient that was less of a 500 deg F fire hazard. I found some USB (5V) LED strip lights on Amazon for $7 and ordered two 16' strips. I also ordered a set of 120Vac-5Vdc USB charger blocks for $3/block. Total cost for this back-light project was $20 in parts and about an hour of my time to assemble it.

Nothing fancy here. Cut some strips of white boxboard (Little Debbie treat addiction resurrected from my distant childhood;-) about the same size as the shades to mount the LED strips. Cut and taped the LED strips to the boxboard and wired (soldering required) the cut sections back together. Tested the connections then (electrical) taped the new LED arrays to the shades. Initially tested the new LED lights with a recently acquired Crosman Shockwave 177 and got the SAME readings from my testing a week before the incandescent back-light burned out. So far the new LED lights are running MUCH cooler (barely warm to the touch) and I've had no missed or error readings.

Next upgrade will be to wire in a 9Vdc power brick so I can stop buying 9V batteries. My chronograph needs are never mobile so wired back-lights and power is fine.

One additional benefit from the upgrade is that my target stays well illuminated by the LEDs. The prior setup with the incandescent lamp sometimes cast a shadow on the target.

Photos of the upgrade...

Chronograph reading from my Winchester 1100s and 7.9 grain CPHP at 966 fps MV.
USB LED cables plugged into the USB power blocks.
One shade with the new LED back-lighting.

Old setup worked well, my review linked here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3AFT0BH612PSD
  • USA, NY, Rochester
Too many toys & not enough play time!

Offline TooJung2Die

• Expert
  • Too old to rock-n-roll... TooJung2Die
Re: Competition Electronics 538002-SSI ProChrono Digital Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:19:23 AM »
Thanks for sharing your design. School age children will look at an incandescent light bulb and wonder, "What is that?" It's the modern day buggy whip. I like how you were able to eliminate the need for batteries.
  • Uwharrie, NC
Diana RWS 34 Classic T06
Diana RWS 45 (1981)
Diana RWS 52 (1992)
Crosman 101 (1945-50)
Crosman 118 (1952-54)
Crosman 760 (1975)
Crosman 2100 (2004)
Sheridan Blue Streak (1976)
Daisy No 25 (1956)
Remington Summit Fury Titan
Ruger Air Hawk
B3-3

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 15 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airguning
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 07:38:20 AM »
 I have the Caldwell version, came with light kit, but the crony ran on an expensive 9v, I came across some discarded 9v ac/dc adapters from pc network adapters, and hooked one up to the crony as well. Mine stays set up in the basement testing range. China clamp on goes afield.
  • Wisconsin Collins Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline SteveP-52

• I just lurk, I'm no longer a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 11:59:37 PM »
Mine is the old school version with the external bluetooth plug-in, but I never worried about or bought the light kit
since I can't shoot anywhere indoors. Means carrying it around and replacing the 9v when needed but it beats
possibly being homeless if I ever fire a shot in my father's house...lol.
  • Buffalo, NY, USA

Offline allan_wind

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 04:31:02 AM »
Not to spoil any of the fun but you can also buy rechargeable 9v batteries.
  • Stoneham, MA

Offline Firewalker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Pray for Ukraine, save her from the Russian BEAST!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 11:04:25 PM »

...Next upgrade will be to wire in a 9Vdc power brick so I can stop buying 9V batteries. My chronograph needs are never mobile so wired back-lights and power is fine...

If you go to a 12v battery, you can replace the 9v with a stepdown transformer for the battery. Here is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Step-Down-Waterproof-Miniature-Envistia-Mall/dp/B07QGXL9XP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13I7WVA2F2GB6&keywords=12V+to+9V+1.7A+Step-Down+Waterproof+Miniature+DC-DC+Converter&qid=1653184803&sprefix=12v+to+9v+1.7a+step-down+waterproof+miniature+dc-dc+converter+%2Caps%2C297&sr=8-2
  • USA, MN, Mille Lacs
"If I spend my hard eraned money on an airgun, especially a mid to high end airgun and it has any issues whatsoever, I'm boxing it up and sending it back where it came from. Nope, nope, nope... don't say you fixed it and send it back to me. I didn't buy a refurb and I don't want a refurb back.
Show me your customer service.. Take a new gun off the shelf and have your tech verify that it passes all the quality checks then send it to me. No sir... I don't want a discount or a store credit or a partial refund... I want exactly what I paid for and exactly what you said you were selling me. If you can't do that then stay out of my mailbox with your spam mail.
That's part of the problem with retail these days.. We, the consumer settles for whatever shovel full of stuff they feed us.
Shame on us for that."
-Bill

Offline TooJung2Die

• Expert
  • Too old to rock-n-roll... TooJung2Die
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 06:46:09 AM »
This is what I use outdoors. It has a 9V battery snap connector. Takes standard AA batteries and lasts for days instead of hours. Better yet, use rechargeable AA batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Corpco-Battery-Holder-Standard-Connector/dp/B07SRDPZ9Z/

• Uwharrie, NC
Diana RWS 34 Classic T06
Diana RWS 45 (1981)
Diana RWS 52 (1992)
Crosman 101 (1945-50)
Crosman 118 (1952-54)
Crosman 760 (1975)
Crosman 2100 (2004)
Sheridan Blue Streak (1976)
Daisy No 25 (1956)
Remington Summit Fury Titan