Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: To big bore or not to big bore...  (Read 1645 times))

Offline Mr.P

• Expert
  • yes
Re: To big bore or not to big bore...
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2022, 03:15:50 PM »
Great choice I am guessing. The Rex P has been the only other gun that I’ve added to my cart like four times in the last year.  Has a nice direct air path like AF guns and they seem like they’d be simple to maintain.  Did you get the newer one with the bottle? 
  • USA, OR, Portland
Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Offline triggerfest

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2022, 05:10:50 PM »
Great choice I am guessing. The Rex P has been the only other gun that I’ve added to my cart like four times in the last year.  Has a nice direct air path like AF guns and they seem like they’d be simple to maintain.  Did you get the newer one with the bottle?

..."added to my cart like four times in the last year." I hear you  ;D glad I have pulled the trigger now.

Not the bottle version, though the 'regular' one with the tube. I defintely need to order one or two spare tubes as well. Btw, the bottle version, is that one available in .25 too ? Because that might be interesting to buy the bottle instead of spare tubes...
Hunter Field Target competition & Casual Plinking

Offline Mr.P

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »
That was the one I had my eye on - the newer one is nice but pricey and has a less appealing form.  I still am itching for the original….  Actually got the max when I saw the price because of similarity to the rex p (compact, high power, simple design). 

Sounds like the tanks are similar to airforce also (valve built into the tube or tank itself so it can hold air when detached). That is ideal.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for any post you make about your experiences
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 05:26:21 PM by Mr.P »
  • USA, OR, Portland
Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Offline Eskimo_Airgunner

• Plinker
  • yes
    • YouTube
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2022, 07:51:55 PM »
I would agree in most small game cases, where just poking a hole through the animal, that the small calibers are enough.  But here in the west, it was won with big slow moving chunks of lead, killing the buffalo.  The larger meplat of a big caliber projectile, really smacks the animal good, knocking it down.  If you use a small caliber high BC slug, on too big an animal, it is going to have the same effect as shooting an animal with a field point instead of a broad-head.  If you are back yard plinking between houses, then in my opinion even a 25 cal might be too big, having more than enough energy to penetrate fence slats and house walls.

It really comes down to intended purpose and since I live where people are spread out I go big because we are not regulated to the size nonsense that some locations have.  Having the large meplat projectiles ensures that I do more than poke a hole in the animal.  I know a lot of people harp on shot placement but often those people do not practice enough the actually place the shot consistently.

I have shot plenty of deer, elk and caribou of the years, using archery, modern firearms and black powder to know that if the shot does not take out both lungs and the heart or wipe out the brain pan the animal can run and that is where a big piece of lead knocking it down really helps out in hastening the kill.
  • USA, WA, Tenino
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsZIxtksD2UIkIu32cpFjWA/featured
P-rod 22 w/mods KOI 3-9x40 LEBO
Armada 22 w/mods Tatsu 4-16x50 Center Point
Bulldog 357 Pitbull-tuned  Ronin 4-16x44 UTG swat
Flashpup 25 cal 3-12x44 30mm UTG
Flashpup 177 tuned 3-12x40 Athlon
2250 w/mods KOI 14.5 inch bbl 3-12x40 LEBO
2240 w/mods Tatsu 10.5 inch bbl Vortex Venom
1322 w/mods eBay LDC 18 inch bbl Holosun
Daisy 880
Daisy M25
Daisy M35 black
Daisy 35 camo
Daisy 1938ARR
Winchester 1911
Umarex M9A3 Gemtech

Offline Ash

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2022, 09:56:18 PM »
I got the big bore AEA .357 slb Challenger yesterday. This thing is a beast, my neighbors called the cops. I think they called because they thought it was the new neighbors on the other side of us that like to do mag dumps at night. I can shoot a Zeus in my backyard, but that .357 got the neighbors attention.
  • USA, Georgia