Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Talon SS "tried and true" or "dinosaur"?  (Read 1526 times))

Offline JPSAXNC

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Talon SS "tried and true" or "dinosaur"?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
It's not hard to make a single shot pcp dump a ton of air per shot, for less money.
  • USA, North Carolina, Saxapahaw

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 12:29:19 PM »
It's not hard to make a single shot pcp dump a ton of air per shot, for less money.

Not that easy or cheap with 80+ FPE that a Condor .25 gets from the factory.

Love my Condors.  Tons of power and very tunable.  I can go from 90fpe down to 35-40fpe using the o-ring mod which takes 1.5 min. to do, or just use the power wheel and adjustable tophat, or different non-adjustable tophats which take <2 min. to change out.  Easy to mod and get consistent strings, and pretty easy to take apart.  If you just replace the breech o-rings or the breech slide itself (cheap - it also acts as an extension to the hammer so it wears out over time) every couple of years and clean the barrel, your AF gun will stay accurate and shooting great for decades.  Mine are 13, 14 years old and shooting great.

You also don't have to buy expensive aftermarket (like Talon Tunes) parts for AF guns unless you want a different stock, a heavier hammer (today's Condors don't need it), a different valve, or something flashy for your gun.  Stock parts from Airforce are fairly inexpensive, and AF has great tech support right here in the USA.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:32:14 PM by only1harry »
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline PasadenaMike

• Itís Expensive But Priceless
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 12:42:26 PM »
My Talon SS now in .20 I also have a .22 barrel remains stock and itís goon enough for me. I donít expect 100 yards from it as long as itís minute of ground squirrel Iím happy. Iíve noticed itís hold sensitive
  • United States, California

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 01:16:43 PM »
OK... time to fess up.
When I joined GTA I was a sub $200 gun guy....
Then I got my first PA catalog in the mail. HOLY SWEET MOTHER MARY... I was amazed with the guns from Airforce.
 But thought who would spend that kind of money on an air gun.
 I have since progressed to sub $1000 HW and AA guns.
I have always been a "wood and steel" sort, but 2 days ago I found a great ($650) deal on a new Talon SS in .177.

Is the money Airforce (MSRP) asks for practical today?
Is that platform now consider antiquated?
I know there is TON's (pun intended) of upgrades out there.
A 12" barrel seems short but a longer barrel negates the SS function.
Talon Tunes offer a 6" and 9" moderator for an 18" barrel...
ohhhh a .20 or .22 barrel seems an easy adaption and all that is needed?

My head is realing right now

Scott, the AF guns are tried and true, just an old design, and with many new PCP's coming out every year at a lower price point, they lost their popularity.  The Condor or Talon used to be the air rifle most people wanted over a decade ago.  I would not call any gun or PCP a "dinosaur".  The Disco and Mrod are old too from the 2000's decade and are not that popular today either, but still decent PCP's that serve different purposes. 

To me there is no such thing as "antiquated".  Would you call a classic Reminton 700 antiquated?  Or a Diana 48 or 34 antiquated?  They still do what they are supposed to do.  I think my Condors look great and better than, or more impressive than most of my PCP's which are dull looking to me, except for my Akela bullpup because of the nice walnut stock on it.  The AF guns are like no other, and if you look at all the PCP's out there there are a couple of companies that have copied them.  Also look at some of the high-end $4K competition target guns.  They look a lot like the Talon/Condor or use the same design. 

The issue with the Condor is that it's not a woods gun and not easy to shoot off hand.  You need to shoot it from a bipod or a good rest unless you put a wood stock on it and even then with an extended shroud a 50+ inch gun is a bit long to take to the woods.  However, they are great for shooting marmots and ground squirrels in open fields, and sniping from a rest in a concealed position which is what I use them for when medium-sized game or pests come into my yard.  A talon with a 12" or 18" barrel is shorter and easier to handle in the field, and can still provide you tons of shots with its 490cc tank. 

Coincidentally I have used the Condor .22 in the woods and heavy brush shortly after I got it.  Almost immediately I realized I had brought the wrong gun, and that I had to shoot from one place.  I used a low branch as a rest to shoot at squirrels at the very top of the trees early in the morning when they were coming out of their dens and began feeding on acorns.  Still not ideal since I was restricted to 1 place, and onlyl about 140 degrees, and couldn't shoot anything behind me or squirrels on the ground.  The guy that had invited me to his 35 wooded acres had a Diana 48 and got the bag limit in 35 min. while I only got 2 and 1 chipmunk before the squirrels made their disappearing act.

The AF guns are as good as any PCP and better than several ones out there because of their limitless tuning abilities, shot count if tuned properly, and the power than can be achieved.  It just depends how you use them, and have limited use in the woods unless you are in a blind or a good sniping position with a solid rest or a bipod.  But I don't see much of an issue walking around the woods with a 12" barreled Talon, if that's your thing.  They are certainly easier to shoulder and shoot off-hand than one with a 24" barrel.

Harry
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline PasadenaMike

• Itís Expensive But Priceless
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 01:36:31 PM »
Itís probably a pcp with the least o rings and awesome customer service
  • United States, California

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• Just another "Tall Lanky Kid" from Indiana
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Start the day with the GTA!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2022, 07:13:29 AM »
Thanks guys, that really is much appreciated Harry.
JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun!"

Offline B.Guns.

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »
I've had my Talon SS for over 10 years without any issues. It shoots well and is easy to tune. I've had many AGs come and go since I bought my Talon. I don't see myself ever getting rid of my Talon. I have several regulated PCPs which are a bit more consistent from shot to shot but none that are as light and as fun to shoot, especially off hand as my Talon is.

• USA, CO, South Park
BSA r-10 MK2 .177
Benjamin Akela .22
PP 750 .22
AF TalonSS .22
DAR .22
Weihrauch HW77K SE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Custom 2240
CCS 2400KT .177
Beeman P17