GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Back Room

Can you bring an airgun to Hawaii

<< < (2/3) > >>

yak:
Thanks for the info....
I don't bring my firearm when I hunt in Hawaii  because of some red tape that I prefer not to go through(I use an outfitter's weapon). I assumed that airguns would be the same, so I just never considered it. 

Hualalai:
I follow always tape a copy of the TSA webpage below to each pellet gun in my checked suitcase with the part about pellet guns highlighted.  I tape a ziplock bag of empty magazines to the airgun to emphasize that it is a pellet gun, not a paintball gun.  I tape a note to each airgun:  "I have two homes and am traveling between the two homes.  An air cylinder is integral with the pellet gun and is completely discharged."  The note includes my mobile number.  Most TSA think of pellet guns as springers or pumpers.
tsa gov travel   security-screening  prohibited-items#6
(connect the dots. I don't have enough posts to insert the URL)

I always declare an airgun in luggage at checkin.  I don't use a locked firearm case.  I've never had a problem, and TSA has opened my suitcase every trip.

only1harry:
That's all good, but you cannot fit most rifles in a suitcase.  You would have to use a hard case if you were transporting an air rifle just like a firearm.  Call your airline or go on their web site.  All airlines have guidelines on their website for PB's and live ammunition.  Basically they must be in a hard case that locks, and you have to check it at the airline counter like luggage.  I would do the same with hard gun case.  Then after the airline inspects it and make sure it's unloaded, they ask you and fill out a form, and then you can lock the case.  I think they also put a sticker on it that tells the TSA or people in the "back" that it has been inspected.

I do not know if they would make you fill out the form for an airgun like they do with PB's, but you should have no problem checking in a hard case with an air rifle, same as you would do with a PB.  Just make sure it's unloaded and absent of any pressurized air like everyone else mentioned.  The TSA won't have to search anything.  I have transported PB's before in locked hard cases, and the TSA never opened them.  Unless they picked both locks without breaking them, but everything was in the same place inside the case, so I do not believe they opened them, probably because they were already inspected by the airline before locking the case.  Your card case will come out on the carousel along with your luggage AFTER you go through the Security check - with all Domestic flights.  The only time you go through Security WITH your luggage is with International flights.  So unless you plan on flying to another country with a gun, transporting guns of any kind in a hard case within the States is a piece of cake.  Ammo & pellet tins can be transported in your luggage, and if it's live ammo it cannot exceed 11 pounds.

I would worry more about the local laws in the State or City you are flying to (about legal possession and transporting the type of gun you bring) more than checking a hard case with the Airline.  Getting the gun on the plane and leaving the airport with it at your destination is the easy part if you are flying to a not so "gun friendly" state.

I usually fly in and out of a Jersey airport because it's closer to me.  Coming back NJ state laws say to keep on driving through the State if you are not a resident and don't have a FOID, to be on the way to your home state, or a state that allows firearms (which is what an airgun is in NJ).  So I make sure I don't stop anywhere, because then you can get charged with illegal possession of a firearm.  You have to prove you are just driving through, so I don't stop to use the bathroom or anything and go the speed limit through Joisy until I get to NY.

Harry

anti-squirrel:
Thank you for the all insight, Harry and Keoki.

I recently traveled to Cape May NJ in April- once on-site, I talked to my customer about hunting and airguns during a break.  He was unaware PCPs existed, and told me point blank when he retires he's getting out of there as he enjoys shooting.  He also mentioned deer are extremely plentiful.

Rabbit\Squirrel Killer:
Airguns are Protected from State Regulation?
I have read this and don't know what the current status of the law is. I would say regardless of what actual law is it may cost someone a lot of money to defend themselves from overreaching state or local laws.

Here is a quote I saved but I failed to save the source.

"Airguns Protected from State Regulation!
While signing Blue Book of Airgun copies at the recent NRA convention in Reno, I was visited by Evan Nappen, an attorney from New Jersey. He has defended airgun owners from state prosecution by invoking a FEDERAL law that generally is not well known at this time. The most amazing thing about this law, the key points of which were appended to a law which attempts to force special markings on paintball and imitation firearms is that it PRE-EMPTS all state laws concerning the sale of airguns. (This tailgating clause may be thanks to some legal work by the Daisy company!)  This law may be the most important law ever for airgunners and may just amount to giving us more rights than firearm owners who feel that they are protected the Second Amendment! I told Tom Gaylord, editor of the new Airguns Illustrated magazine about it; he became very excited and will give you his views and more details in the Legal Issues section of the second issue of Airguns Illustrated magazine (to which, of course, you surely have already subscribed).
The law is United States Code, Title 15, Section 5001, BB/AIRGUN/PAINTBALL/IMITATION FIREARM PREEMPTION. The sections of interest to us are Sections "g(i) and g(ii)" at the very end. Read their very clear language and leap for joy:
"(g) Preemption of State or local laws or ordinances; exceptions
The provisions of this section shall supersede any provisions of State or local laws or ordinances which provide for markings or identifications inconsistent with provisions of this section provided that no State shall
(i) prohibit the sale or manufacture of any look-alike, non-firing, collector replica of an antique firearms developed prior to 1898, or
(ii) prohibit the sale (other than prohibiting the sale to minors) of traditional B-B, paint ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure."
Additional information is available at attorney Nappen's website: evannappen.com
We look forward to many favorable developments as a result of this largely overlooked law which became effective 6 months after November 5, 1988. Mr. Nappen  already has successfully used it in court cases!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version