GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

100 yards shooting

(1/2) > >>

Aldea6:
Hi everyone,

As I stated in my introduction , one of my goal is to shoot "as accurately as possible" at 100 yards; a kind of bench rest shooting , in fact.
I own , amongst others , a Marauder , Vulcan , Cricket bullpup and his carbine version , all in .25 cal.
I wonder if , as I've read many often, a bigger caliber is needed to shoot at this range. Here in Europe , many bench shooters are using the FX Boss in .30 , or the RAW .30.
I really don't know if such calibers are useful. A .22 with a match barrel and enough power to shoot a 30/40 gr pellet at 900-950 Ft/sec should be able to do the job , or not ?

A RAW  in .25 is very tempting to me , but the price is quite high , and I'd prefer to do the right choice first time.I am always a bit fussy about noise , and , after viewing a video on the RAW .25 , I find that enen with a moderator, the gun is not that quiet.

If anybody have some experience in this field (and I know you have   :D......welcome  )

Aldea6

marty2:
The rifles you have in your post should be more than capable of shooting 100 yards with or without a little tuning. Check out the 100 yard match thread and you will see there is a member there shooting a Cricket carbine and does very well with it. There also is a member with a .22 Marauder that does very well also.

I have a RAW in both .25 and .30 caliber. They both do equally well, maybe a very slight edge to the .30 but the .25 has given me my best group at 100 yards. I sort my pellets by weight for the .30 but shoot straight out of the tin with the .25. Most of the time it's not the rifle but the ammo, weather conditions and the shooter that influences the score.

Read the rules for the 100 yard match and shoot some targets, then shoot some more. Post your best target in the ongoing match and see how you do.

Smoketown:
Perhaps a bit more local ???

Hopefully, the links are still valid.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=29142.msg267057#msg267057

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=74915.msg713568#msg713568

Keep us posted!!   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Aldea6:
Thanks for your advices. You're right , most important is practice  ;)
About the pellets , I clean them in hot water and soap , dry and lube with WD 40 . Seems to load easier, not sure this tighten the groups. For the .25 , I resize them in a die ; much more easy to load in my cricket.
until now , my best group was 1.25 inches at 85 yards with the Kalibrgun carbine in .25
I've order a regulator for my marauder, curious to see what it can do.( or what I can do.....)

I'll post some targets soon ;)

Cheers

Aldea6

sixshootertexan:
I've shot a target that will get me into the club with a untuned XS46U .177. So any of your rifles should do the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version