GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

Anyone shooting this with a Break Barrel Magnum of any sort ?

(1/1)

preventec47:
I have been playing with four types of .177 approx 16gr pellets in mine
and I dont know if I can hit a target every shot.  The recoil is fierce
and it throws the pellets everywhere.    I have a RWS 48 with good
scope that needs repair and I could try to get serious with that I think.

sixshootertexan:
I shot the 100 yard match with my .177 XS46U. I scored a 41/50.

lefteyeshot:
A year ago or so if the wind wasn't to bad with my .177 470th I could put four or five 7.87 grs. JSB domes out of eight or 10 shots in 3" x 2" bull at a hundred yards. Have not tried in a while. My 350 PC loves the .177 JSB 16.20 grs domes at 25 yards. 100 yards is a long way for a springer and that big a pellet. I don't try .22 springers at a 100 anymore. To me it's like shooting a mortar.

I want to star practicing that again. I have a 4'x6' piece of thin plywood, so the pellets will go thru, I cover with 12"x17" shoot-n-see type splatter targets. I can really see the drop and wind effect with that without having to take time to walk down and check the target or use a spotting scope. Also I want to make some wind flags to help.

I found that zeroing the scope at 50 yards to hit POA with a couple of dots of hold under so I could use less hold over helped. It seemed to keep everything closer to the center of the sight picture.

In the late afternoon seems the wind dies down. That and practice, maybe.

preventec47:
QUOTE:
.177 JSB 16.20 grs dome
========================
I saw your mention of the .177 JSB 16.20 grs dome pellets and wanted to mention I love those pellets
in a break barrel magnum I shoot at long ranges.   Surprisingly I think because of their weight and
the recoil of my rifle when I shoot them the recoil kicks the pellets up about 12"  above the regular
point of impact at 25 yards....    so even though much lower velocity at 100 yards they feel like
they are flying straight like a laser.   Ie,  not much need for giant holdovers as you would expect
when shooting what is probably a 700 fps velocity.     These pellets have a fantastic ballistic coefficient
and really keep their energy such that they might have the same velocity at 100 yards as a much lighter pellet that starts out several hundred fps faster.    They hit pretty dog-gone hard at all
distances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version