GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

seeking scope advice..which glass for NUAH

(1/5) > >>

Ligoniera1:
I have just recently been attempting 100+ yard target with my Diana 48 sporting a UTG 3x9 Hunter series scope.  I've managed some 6-8"  groups in my second attempt so I'm making progress....likely being so low on the learning curve. 

My point in posting....the scope....it's a nice solid inexpensive unit with crosshairs that completely obscure the NUAH target bullseye.    I'm thinking I need a new scope to work at this goal a bit more effectively....something with an etched glass reticle, yes?  What magnification is suggested?  I almost think 3x  9 adequate if the reticle were more fine but I note quote a few 4x12 and 4x16 that seem like they would do a much better job. 

I guess the question is .......is a 4x12 or 4x16 with an etched reticle a solid NUAH scope? 

mr007s:
I have both 12 and 16 power. Both work for me very well.

pcp_Dave:
Old saying "if you want to shoot small you have to aim small". To aim small you have to have a small target. If you have a small target you need enough magnification to see the small target. So it depends on your eyes. If you can see a 1" target with a 9x scope at a hundred yards great. If it takes a 24x scope then that's what you need. You also need a fairly thin reticle. Avoid center dots. They hide small targets. Good glass means more than shear power though.
Good luck, I hope to see your name on the N.U.A.H rooster soon.

Dbez1:
Any reasonably-priced specific suggestions for him?

rsterne:
My best NUAH groups have been shot with a Hawke 6-18 x 44 that has good glass, but it has been on my most accurate rifle, but I have shot nearly as well with a 4-16 x 50 Leapers.... For virtually all of my Varmint hunting (mostly Ground Squirrels) I use Hawke 3-12 x 44 scopes, and I find them adequate to hit the head (not much over 1") at 100 yards.... I find I can hold them steadier than a higher power scope when hunting, and like the wider field of view offered by the lower power.... but I do prefer the 16X or 18X when shooting from a bench.... I have used a 3-9 x 40 Leapers, and find that at 100 yards it is not quite enough magnification for GS, although more than adequate for Marmots.... On a NUAH target at 100 yards it is the lowest power I would consider, and barely adequate, although better glass may make 9X just fine, even for my old eyes.... On the other hand, I used to shoot a .222 Remington from the bench at 100 yards, using a 3-9 x 40 Bushnell scope.... and could consistently get 1/2" groups.... but I was younger then, and so were my eyes....  ::)

I see a lot of guys using 24X, and IMO, unless the scope has a large objective, they suffer from dimming of the image.... If you decide you need that much magnification (and there is nothing wrong with that, on the bench).... I strongly suggest that you get a scope with AT LEAST a 50mm objective lense (and 60mm is better) to take advantage of the extra magnification.... An exit pupil of less than 2.5 mm will show dimming of the image, even on a bright sunny day.... Exit pupil is objective diameter divided by magnification.... as in 60 mm / 24 X = 2.5 mm.... with another example being 40 mm / 16 X = 2.5 mm.... Avoid high magnification on small objective scopes....

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version