GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Taps and dies

(1/4) > >>

Wepster:
First, I am not a machinist (in any way shape or form).
I would like to buy a set of metric taps and dies, hobby quality. The smaller common sizes is what I think I would use. Please, what sizes for airguns should I make sure the set includes? Any suggestions on a lower priced set you have experience with will be appreciated. I see a lot of sets online, Ebay, Amazon etc. The sets at MSC and McMaster Carr are too dear for my once in a while use. But I do believe I do not want carbon steel, I coud be wrong.

JMJ in NC:
For hobby use, harbor freight or northern tool will get you started with a basic set.  6mm and under would be applicable to airguns (fasten-wise).

After that, buy higher quality single taps of the sizes you use the most.

Proper tapping technique and using tapping lubricant is critical to prevent oversized holes or snapping the tap off.

JMJinNC

JuryRigger:
Can't give you advice as to sizes; but for your use, the average carbon steel sets should be OK...
IF-you do not intend to tap stainless steel; I have a SAE Craftsman set that I use, and can tell you that the grinding, while perfectly acceptable for other materials, possibly short of alloy steel; is not all that it should/could be and WILL work harden the stainless-leaving you with a broken tap, and ruined workpiece...  Otherwise, I'd just caution that you will be replacing individual taps/dies eventually-likely in the smaller sizes, or taps that you intend to push to the limit/use a lot (deep holes-I broke the 1/4-20 one in my set relatively quickly, but I was tapping full-depth into gummy mild steel plate, many times). When you do, upgrade that particular piece to a quality HSS one-Cleveland Twist and Greenfield Threading were the two brands that I found best where I worked previously...
And as already been said, look up technique, and get a good lube-WD-40 works well for aluminum, stainless (if you must) really benefits from/needs special moly-based lubes (stinky and will brown/rust steel), steel there are a wide variety of good lubes available, and in a pinch heavy gear oil does work; but is a real pain to get cleaned up afterwards...
Plus it stinks too  ;)
Jesse

Roadworthy:
I buy good quality taps as needed.  So far I only have two metric taps and both were for screws in triggers.  You will not need a tap often.  I also purchase the appropriate size drill bit for the given tap.  I try to get a good quality cobalt bit specific to the purpose and keep it with the tap.  The correct size bit is crucial to the process.  I have no metric dies nor have I needed any.

Nvreloader:
I got this cheap set and it has been very useful, has both fine and coarse threads,
also use make an offer and you may get it cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192271831057?

Hth's,
Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version