GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Red Squirrels...

(1/9) > >>

ER00z:
This is going to be a longer post...

So here in NY state the red squirrel falls under the classification of "unprotected species", which means they can be hunted at any time and without limit (with a hunting license). I'm not wanting to dive into game laws, and honestly, 99% of the time I just let them be... Until they become a nuisance.

Over the last 3 or 4 years I've noticed the red squirrel population increase while our grey (and occasional black) squirrel population decline in my immediate area. I'm not quite sure why the grey squirrel population has decreased, but it has gotten to the point that I have seen none on my property or on my three neighbors properties, that I've noticed (which makes up the bulk of my rural "neighborhood"). As mentioned in another thread, my neighbor requested that I thin, erraticate or otherwise cull the red squirrel population, as they have been especially problematic for them (or their property, I should say). Occasionally I get a couple problematic one's that need tending to around my place (If the cat doesn't get them first)

All of this brings me to this post. While I wouldn't consider my self as a "true hunter", as these days almost all my meat comes from the grocery store, I'd be lying if I said I don't get excited when it comes to the "thrill of the hunt". Mostly I just tend to problematic critters, and "Mikey the cat" reaps all the rewards (I don't believe in the waste of life/meat or what not, big or small and my family won't eat small game, even rabbit  :(), often the cat comes out of nowhere to grab up the quarry as soon as they hit the ground. Lol, he's gotten spoiled over the last 12 years or so, as my unofficial hunting buddy (and the main reason for lack of photos, when I do occasionally have my phone). Enough ranting...

After taking the one red with the .177 D54 just beyond 50 yards, I realised just picking them off from a distance wasn't going to pan out if I was going to be serious about this. That particular gun weighs about 12.5-13lbs in it's current configuration, so it's not one I like to tote around. I switched it out for a HW97 .177 underlever for a few days(not that it's much lighter, lol). I managed to get two more, one was traveling the ground at roughly 40 yards distance and the other had later popped out of the neighbors barn and into an adjacent tree at about 20 yard distance from my location. Both put down with head shots and without issue.

About a week later, I was able to get two more with a .177 pumper, which just barely exceeds NY states requirement of 600fps at 10 pumps, although being in the vicinity of some of their structures out back and being at close range, I needed to dial back the power considerably from what the springers (or my pcp's) deliver. At about this time, the last few remaining red squirrels seemed to catch on and became skiddish. If I came within 30 yards or so, they'd take off and give a "warning call" (bark?) to alert all the others danger was present. So I let them calm down a bit, giving some time before my next outing...

My HW95 finally started to settle in (also a .177) and has become consistently accurate with H&N FTT's. Being even lighter than the HW97 by a few pounds makes the 95 an even better field gun. I managed to get two more reds, one around 35 yards who was scurrying up a tree (roughly 40' up) and paused long enough for a off-hand head shot. Mikey was with me and ran over to collect his meal with that one. The last one I had to chase a bit from the neighbors property over to mine. She managed to climb up 30' into a tree I was about 20 yards from. My shot went just over it's head and she climbed even further after the near miss. Now near the top of the tree in the highest crook, I didn't have a clean head shot, but did have a H/L shot, although at roughly a 45° angle. I sent a H&N FTT pellet in just below and behind the left shoulder, through the heart and exiting the chest. This is the only one I have a photo of. (See below) it was a risky shot for a .177, but the HW95 has proven to be superbly accurate so I was confident in the shot.

I believe the red squirrels have all moved on (in one way or another), as I haven't noticed any more the last few days. Hopefully we see the return of grey squirrels to fill the "void", and keep the reds from returning.

Part of the reason I share all of this is because I see many folks who want a .22 or larger to handle squirrels (or various other small game), or see many who use (relatively) high fpe pcp airguns and occasionally slugs to handle small-small game. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think it's awesome, but don't want the impression that a person NEEDS a .22+ caliber gun pushing slugs or of high fpe to take care of business. Also, red squirrels are a bit on the smaller size, but in years past I've had no issues taking grey squirrels, rabbits or opossum (or even larger critters within reason) with similar powered airguns in .177 caliber. Although with the tiny caliber, it's all about placement... And the larger calibers do give some wiggle room in placement and carry energy better.

Here's the last red I took...

wolverine:
red squirrels can be aggressive.  while visiting our daughter in montana, i noticed a red squirrel chasing her chickens in their pen.  she said they have seen them inside the coop going after the feed and also harrassing her rabbits.  her hsuband was trying to keep them at bay with his NP2, but living in 100s of square miles of forest, it was a losing battle.  the two of us set out to cull them and we marked off a 20 acre area surrounding their property to hunt.  after 2 weeks of shooting, the numbers dropped.  more importantly, we didn't see any on their property.   

ER00z:
Yes, they can be aggressive. Earlier this year I had seen it for the first time as one appeared to be going after a robbin, and once again in another instance. It's tough trying to manage red squirrels, they're quick little buggers, and they don't offer big target areas. It's good you were able to lend a hand pushing them back.

I am curious if the ones here pushed out the grey squirrels and took over, or if something else made their numbers decline? Either way, they're gone for now.

Spacebus:
We have a lot of reds on our property, no greys, chipmunks, or much else besides rats. So far they haven't been an issue, and I'm pretty sure my roosters would stomp an aggressive red.

A moron:

I am curious if the ones here pushed out the grey squirrels and took over, or if something else made their numbers decline? Either way, they're gone for now....

That sounds reasonable.   Seems you could find a study on that from your state wildlife management or collages.

Its no different than any non citizen native animals

"Invasive species are costly to native wildlife. After habitat destruction, invasive species are the second leading cause of population decline and extinction of native animals. "

Look at our gray squirrel imported to england.lol..

They got plenty to shoot at now...lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version