Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Full moon adventure  (Read 2308 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Full moon adventure
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
As the darkness closed in I gathered up the gear and shooter for tonight's possible dance with any critters and as I loaded the gear into the rig I looked up and took in the big full moon making it's presence known and would be my guiding light for this evenings pest control.                                                                                             

It was going on 8pm as I pulled into the residences yard and after catching up on all I had missed and him inquiring on my dads health we finished our cups of java and he bid me good luck and "like you need it!" he said hehe.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
I made my way across the field with a slight cross wind and a beautiful yellow full moon wow what a sight and what a feeling like no better place to be right now and as I reached the wood line I put my game face on and used the rays of moon light that found there way through the trees as my guide along the game trail .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
I made it to the hide and proceeded to set all up and readied the shooter then one down the trail to prepare a little sample for the critters to taste and present me a possible shot then with the headlamp strapped to the tree just above and off the trail I adjusted the beam to set all aglow and giving me ample light to lock crosshairs on.                           

Back at the hide and settled in and poured a cup of java and checked the time oh? where did that hour go lol it was going on 10pm but all is good still had the evening and the woods and night to myself and with the shooter at the ready I put my hunt zen on and began to pick p on an unusual sounds and watched the lit trail in the distance.                                                                                                                                                           
Several more hours passed and it can be so easy to let ones mind drift some with the calming sounds of the night and the moon above but stayed the coarse with this feeling one gets that things were gonna pick up and just as that thought passed I caught movement down the trail under the glow of the lamp.                                         

It looks like we have a taker but wait the Bandit actually shot past the bait and into the darkness of the trail and moving my way putting me on high alert thinking it would stop to check me out and had plans to just head up to the coops.                                                                                                                                                   

I was geared up and ready for a face to face but suddenly it appeared back under the lamp and one cannot resist pork chop scraps hehe and so I slipped back into hunt mode and with the shooter back in the shooting window of the hide I dropped down behind the glass and went to work on locking onto this fella.                                         

It took no time for the Bandit to get after the goodies and me planted behind the glass as it circled the bait eating the whole time every now and then looking up for any danger. Finally it settled in and gave my a perfect shot with it's head down but then looked up slightly and right my way but too late I still had a solid fusebox shot and sent a Polymag away.                                                                                                                               

The sound of a solid impact and the bandit dropping right onto it's belly said it all followed by several rolls and leg kicks it was lights out but kept a close eye on it and was ready to send more lead down it's way but the Gamo Hunter Extreme.22 aka The Reaper has never needed a follow up round knock on wood hehe.

Satisfied that it was down I gloved up and made my down the trail then gave the bandit a once over then hauled the female back to the hide for a photo shoot pleased that I'm actually harvesting some game late in the season and making up for not keeping the raiders at bay for the residence.                                                                   

I placed the game in the game bag reloaded the shooter and settled back in since I planned on hanging till morning but the night passed without any further action and around 4am called it a successful hunt\pest control and pleased as all out to have some proper meat in the icebox again.                                                                     

The shot was taken at 25yrds using the Gamo Hunter Extreme.22 and .16g Polymag .front and center fusebox to turn out the light. Ed
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:08:03 PM by shadow »
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
Re: Full moon adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »
Great hunt Bro Ed!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline WiseGuy

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »
picture perfect shot! Nice one Ed!
  • Downey, CA

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Thank you kindly Brothers :D and the resident gave me a call  around 7am this morning and left message since I was zzzzzz after an all nighter. He had several bandits make a run at the coop around 6am so gearing up for this evening and shooter of choice will be my gal who has been with me for many moons...Gamo CFX.22. She just loves dancing with the bandits. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 12:50:18 AM »
Great shooting Ed !!! We can't hunt them til October 1st in Zone 3 but I'll be ready for them.
  • Michigan
HHDSUPCOM Cam Rahn Bay VN 71-72

My F10 Shoebox rocks 8)

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:07:03 AM »
Excellent hunt and story
 just like I was there with you. ( dang, I wish I was  ;D)
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »
Thank you kindly Brothers :D and just making up for lost pest control time for the resident and letting em know that "I'M BACK!". Last night some rain moved in and dampened the activity I guess but still hung at the residences place stationed on their deck then moved down to the hide around 2am just a peaceful evening with the gentle rainfall and an occasional rustling of something moving through the timber. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
Another great hunt and story Bro.
I just gotta say....
Bandits come and bandits go but one thing is for sure....
That "Reaper" is awesome to behold. I love it !!
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Beginning the next chapter
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Me at Devils Tower Wyoming 8-13-2000
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
Great hunt and as always I feel like I am sharing the blind with you.  ;)
  • Mesa Arizona
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut For Sale
Brocock Sniper .25
Rainstorm II .22 For Sale
FX Crown .25 w/600 mm Barrel
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 For Sale
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22 For Sale
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe For Sale
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot For Sale
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
Thanks brothers ;D and give it another go tonight gear and shooter ready to go and hunt zenning  myself for the night. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
Great shooting, story and pics brother Ed!  It's like you never took a break.  I couldn't stay awake until 4am.  I 'd be snoring and scaring away all the night critters :)   

Looking forward to more of your pest hunts.

Harry
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
Thanks brother :D and it get's tough at times to stay sharp through the night but keep the mind busy by planning my next attack on em or dreaming up some new camo design and lot's of strong java. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline steveoh

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 01:51:45 AM »
Awesome hunt and story! I love it. :)
  • Benicia, CA
AirGun Safety
Sumatra Carbine .25
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Guild
Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw Pistol
Quackenbush .58 LA Outlaw
Citrus .257
Airforce Texan .257
Bunch of Crosman Pistols

Offline Tater

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 06:47:11 AM »
Great shot and story Ed!
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc - For sale   
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Kmanca1

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
Now THAT's the way to do it!   
Right--between---the---eyes!

Nicely done!
  • Orangevale, CA
Fx Maverick Sniper .30
Hatsan Nova Star .25
AF Condor .20 / .25              
Rainstorm II .25 & .30                      
Jager .35                                
Evanix Sniper .35                               
M-Rod G2 .22 & .25
BSA Buccaneer .177 & .22                
Sentry Deluxe .22                   

...and too many more...

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
Thanks so much hunt brothers and darn happy to be back and back into some steady pest control which is kinda surprising but I'll take it and the resident sleeps alittle easier knowing that some of the raiders won't be making a run at the Chicken Coop. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am