Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Lil rusty but thats ok  (Read 2290 times))

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Lil rusty but thats ok
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »
Well what a year it's been with getting pulled away willingly to head down south to tend to my father and despite many critters spotted down south I had no shooter on hand and dads needs came first :D.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The night was active as I just relaxed on the residents deck from about 8pm till about 2am but despite several C-rats and Bandits sniffing around the chicken coop which had been reinforced due to my absence I didn't feel comfortable with the shots presented by the critters and hadn't found my hunt zen yet lol.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     It was after 1am and I just decided to pull stacks and slip down to the ole hide which I had spent the past several days repairing some issues and basically house cleaning so I quietly gathered up the gear and shooter and made my way across the field with a heck of a wind gusting across it. It felt great to be in the ole hunting ground again as I took in the fresh air and could make out a touch of fall in it as well.                                           

I turned on the flashlight as I hit the trail for the leaves still hung heavy on the trees in the woods and dark got really dark fast in here hehe. I slowly made my way down the trail towards the hide keeping a sharp ye out for any critters that decided not to give way and surprise me then final at the hide got myself settled in till first light. 

The sounds that I've missed were all still there waiting for me as the trees creaked and a twig snapped under the weight of a unknown critter maybe which kept me alert since I was just hanging in the dark no lamp down the trail or bait station it was just a good time to soak in the evening.                                                                       

The hours slipped by as I just relaxed and listened to the sounds then started to notice the first rays of light which seem to come quickly and with that pulled my act together lol and decided to see what was moving around down here first thing in the morning.                                                                                                                 

I splashed some java on my face hehe well down my chin as I needed the pick me up and along with the sound of the birds waking and several nutters already out I was ready to greet the morning and maybe a harvest so with that rested the barrel of the B26.177 out the hide window and gave the trail and all else a good hard scan for any movement.                                                                                                                                   

Squirrel season isn't upon us here yet but still put the crosshairs on several with a thought of "I'll be seeing you soon" hehehe then dropped my eyes back down onto the game trail to behold a sight for sore eyes...Bandit dead ahead.     

The bandit was in no hurry as it moved several yards then stop to sniff the area in hopes that a pile of goodies had appeared then moved a few yards closer in my direction and without thinking I guess I was down behind the glass and putting a bead on the bandit waiting for the shot and hoping the ole shooter and myself were up to the task.                                                                                                                                                             
Figuring it was about twenty or so yards out when it held up again for another sniff test it gave me the go get it shot placement so I let the lead fly and it found it's mark not too rusty I guess lol. I let the bandit do it's death dance which lasted several minutes then gave in to the lead in da head.                                                             

Boy I was up and out of the hide and already gloving up for a closer look and sure enough the lead found it's mark and assured that it was down I hauled the make back to the hide for pics then gathered the shooter and gear up since I was bushed and headed for the ranch to dress this fine specimen out for a future meal.                 

I stopped by the residents place to give him the good news and he was very happy to see the harvest since it had been a hard most of the year without me keeping em at bay and having to basically barricade the coop and still had chickens taken.                                                                                                                                     

The shot came to 22yrds with the B26.177 and 7,9G CPHP and good to shake the rust off myself and the shooter so too speak and just maybe the hunt blessing will carry me into the fall and winter for upcoming nutter and other critters hunts. Ed

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:04:32 PM by shadow »
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline screwwork

• N.U.A.H. Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Lil rusty but thats ok
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
It is great to see ya posting up a hunt Ed :D
You sure put the lead in the head like the ole days, way to shake off the dust of the ole shooter 8)
That coon looked kinda happy on that log, other then the blood stain on it forehead  ;D
  • Nor-Cal
177. Airmax MK II pistol
22. 1322, pistol/carbine 
177. P-rod, double tubed, SS valve, 177. Mrod barrel NSA slugger Plus .22 MM HF barrel
22. Prod, LW barrel, SS valve (House Pest eliminator)
25. Mini-rod, 13cu tank
      Second breech - Arrow gun
.25 cal Raptor Mini
.25 Sumatra Carbine
357 Slayer

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »
Nice shot Bro Ed! The Zen is still there
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 15 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airguning
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »
 Nice post Ed, this might get the oomph  i need to get out there asap, I have squirrel, deer, and turkey with x-bow, seasons open now, but the unusual hot weather and skeeters/work, last 2 mostly LOL
Has kept me out of the stands  :-[
 Thanks for the boost !
  • Wisconsin Collins "Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
Thanks brothers and shaking the cobwebs of the zen but getting there.
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline VaporTrail

• Beat Dropper
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:53:19 AM »
Shadow...

I'm a little curious about how those raccoons taste. I never had the opportunity to eat one, and of course they don't live here on the island. No rabbits either, but the supermarket had some a couple of years ago; apparently rabbits make quite the tasty bit of stew. For my palate, they tasted very similar to chicken; had a slightly more gamey taste and it also seemed like I tasted more...protein?

I did up a pretty simple yet awesome stew; potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, apples and some fresh hot peppers to give the stew a little bit of a kick.  8) Very yummy.

How do raccoons taste? And how do you prepare them? I'm curious to know...and if you'd indulge me, perhaps I'd have a chance to live a little through you.

:D
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Winchester 70-35 (Legendary Edition) stolen by thankless s---s
Piatt Sumatra 2500 Long .25
Rally Version BullBoss .22
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Piatt Duk IL Hunting Master 2 .22
Duk IL Hunting Master RS .22
Piatt Sumatra Carbine .25 - also stolen

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:41:06 AM »
Dig out something from my recipe book for you to enhance the taste of gamey game. Just rolled in around 4am from a all night pest control...Bandit in the bag  ;D get some zzzzzzzzz details to follow. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 15 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airguning
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
 Racoon taste kinda like bear , if that helps ;) both are surprisingly edible  :D
  • Wisconsin Collins "Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
Oh wow, I almost missed this one.  Nice job with the ol' B26!  You are back with a vengeance - 2 bandits in 3 days.  Way to go buddy.

Harry 
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline VaporTrail

• Beat Dropper
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:56 PM »
Thanks Ed! I appreciate it.  8)

Back_Roads - Bear...another item I'd like to try! We definitely don't have those here...and I think I'm rather thankful for that.  :o I was chatting with Tommy Boy, and he said he's come across some of them in his adventures. Nope. Nope. Noooope. I'll pass on that particular adventure...I'd like to come home with all digits and extremities intact, thank you kindly. I'm old and portly...so I can't run that fast. However: when the zombie apocalypse comes? I'll have the most explosives and automatic weapons.  ;D
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
Thanks brothers and Bandit can have a hint of bear type flavor had that as well. I usually marinade Bandit in my homemade BBQ sauce then slow cook on the grill or do a sweet n sour marinade and let it soak for several days then place in the oven. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline VaporTrail

• Beat Dropper
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 03:50:36 AM »
That sounds yum!
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine

Offline steveoh

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »
Another great story and hunt!
  • Benicia, CA
AirGun Safety
Sumatra Carbine .25
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Guild
Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw Pistol
Quackenbush .58 LA Outlaw
Citrus .257
Airforce Texan .257
Bunch of Crosman Pistols

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:30 AM »
Great shooting Ed !!!
  • Michigan
HHDSUPCOM Cam Rahn Bay VN 71-72

My F10 Shoebox rocks 8)

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
Thank you kindly hunt brothers :D and things are pretty steady since I been back. The critters going into overdrive to fatten up for the winter months. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am