GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Mouse eradication 2018

(1/1)

shanejohnson2002:
I'm absolutely annihilating the mouse population at my house. We live next to a large field and they seem to repopulate every spring. I'm up to 6 so far this year, and thought I'd share my setup since it's been so successful for me.

My setup is a .177 CCS 2400kt with the 10" LW barrel. I also installed a reduced xfer port to keep the velocity reasonable (300-400ish) for indoor use. A bug buster 6x sits on top, kind of critical for close-range pests. Only other addition is a GMAC thread adapter and a TKO mod for a Hatsan...so it's a good bit oversized for this application. That's fine...larger internal volume = quieter shots. At this velocity, the only noises are the valve opening, and the smack at the target.

The RWS SuperMags are like little sledgehammers at this velocity...the caliber-sized frontal surface delivers maximum energy and absolute minimum penetration, although it'll traverse a mouse from front to back easily even at this speed. This barrel also happens to love them.

Other keys to my setup:

Home depot light socket attached to a junction box, with a cheap extension cord directly wired to the light socket.I use a red LED light bulb to illuminate the scene.

Peanut butter is the BEST bait.

Swann garage motion alarm. I have three sensors, so I can set up multiple places.

Lastly, always shoot at a backstop. I use scrap 1x4's, and paste those 1" orange target stickers to them to make a couple of test shots.

This setup has worked as far as 20y successfully, and I haven't ever worried about wounding...if it hits anywhere reasonable, they die pretty much instantly.

only1harry:
The RWS 9.3gr Supermag is a deadly hunting pellet on most small game.  I am surprised not a lot of people are using this pellet inside 30 yards where they are most accurate.  You are correct in that they transfer all or most of the energy to the critter having a wadcutter design.  Every squirrel I have shot with Supermags dropped and expired instantly with a single vitals shot when I used to shoot my Diana airguns with open sights to break them in before I scoped them.  I couldn't see well without a scope so I aimed at center mass of the squirrel and they went down hard with this pellet. 

Supermags have great knockdown power because they transfer so much of the energy to the target and hit hard having a wide flat meplat.  They are great for low to medium powered CO2 rifles and pistols such as your 2400KT.  Not as much for low powered springers because it's a heavy pellet, but they work great with medium-high powered springers and don't pass through before expending most of the kinetic energy.

You have a cool setup.  Thanks for sharing.

Harry

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Excellent Set-Up Shane !       Thank-You for sharing all the information that you have posted.       Keep After Them !

Best Wishes - Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version