GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Mouse eradication 2018

(1/2) > >>

shanejohnson2002:
I'm absolutely annihilating the mouse population at my house. We live next to a large field and they seem to repopulate every spring. I'm up to 6 so far this year, and thought I'd share my setup since it's been so successful for me.

My setup is a .177 CCS 2400kt with the 10" LW barrel. I also installed a reduced xfer port to keep the velocity reasonable (300-400ish) for indoor use. A bug buster 6x sits on top, kind of critical for close-range pests. Only other addition is a GMAC thread adapter and a TKO mod for a Hatsan...so it's a good bit oversized for this application. That's fine...larger internal volume = quieter shots. At this velocity, the only noises are the valve opening, and the smack at the target.

The RWS SuperMags are like little sledgehammers at this velocity...the caliber-sized frontal surface delivers maximum energy and absolute minimum penetration, although it'll traverse a mouse from front to back easily even at this speed. This barrel also happens to love them.

Other keys to my setup:

Home depot light socket attached to a junction box, with a cheap extension cord directly wired to the light socket.I use a red LED light bulb to illuminate the scene.

Peanut butter is the BEST bait.

Swann garage motion alarm. I have three sensors, so I can set up multiple places.

Lastly, always shoot at a backstop. I use scrap 1x4's, and paste those 1" orange target stickers to them to make a couple of test shots.

This setup has worked as far as 20y successfully, and I haven't ever worried about wounding...if it hits anywhere reasonable, they die pretty much instantly.

ranchibi:
Shane, that is a great setup all around! Excellent shooting on those mice! I too use a red LED flood light which I use to help illuminate my back yard for rattus extermination...much cheaper than a infrared setup! LOL

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Shane..you have a real nice gun !       Your set-up sounds great !      Good Shooting & Happy Mouse Hunting !       

Best Wishes - Tom

kbstingwing:
Get them Mice, nice shooting, great setup.

Wayne52:
I set a mouse trap a while back and got one but that was it, must be I lucked out cause I just figured there was more than one but there wasn't!!!  Go gettem Shane !!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version