GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

6063-T5 Tube Pressure Calculations. (Safety)

(1/2) > >>

tyerant:
I am looking to make a pressure tube to fit into my 2240 stock main tube.  My plan is to use a piece of 6063-T5 Aluminum tubing at 18mm od and 7mm id.  I will tap in a foster fitting to press against the valve as a 12gr cartridge would and plug the other end with a ss grub screw and locktight. The stock cap will be used to press it into the valve.  Then the tube will be tapped into with a hydraulic elbow fitting and an hpa rated tube from the fitting to a reasonably regulated bottle.  I also intend to pin the valve. 

I have looked for a pressure calculator that would give me an idea of what pressure it can hold based on the material, wall thickness and length.  All I can find is a 6061-T6 calculator.??? Does anyone know of a calculator that will give me specs on 6063-T5 aluminium?  Based on the Calculated results for the 6061-T6 I would imagine I will be well within safe specifications.  I will just have to make sure that the tube and valve is well secured!

I saw this and thought it was interesting and spurred my idea...

Critique away.... Know a better way?  I would love to hear your thoughts!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated
TyeRant

rsterne:
6063-T5 is a relatively soft alloy with about half the tensile and yield strength of 6061-T6....

Bob

WobblyHand:
If I recall correctly, 2024 and 7075 are better choices for a pressure tube, with a nod towards 2024.  Think 2024 may have better corrosion resistance.  But if it were me, I'd be spending some time on a materials website or two, checking out your choices for the appropriate properties.  HPA is no joke, so do your homework.  If you have a design and can share it, then more experienced eyes can review it here for gotchas.  It's amazing how a small design element can totally derate the safe pressure rating.  Bob @rsterne has a thread here about dos and don'ts on HPA vessels.  Definitely worth a read.

tyerant:
Very new to making my own stuff. Many thanks! Yes I want to be safe!  I have read a bunch of Bob's posts on the Cannucer Forum Just can't seem to source the same materials he used! I've been trying to buy online but perhaps I should go to the big city Toronto and get what I need. Any suggestions?  Tot worried about weight. Would love to make an extender between the valve and the intake but just don't know the best way to go. New to this fabrication! If I could extend the valve portion and cap the intake to make a decent reservoir,  What would be a good spacer between the valve and intake? What would the shreds be?

Many thanks,
TyeRant

JPSAXNC:
Well, the threaded in end cap will still be a weak link, because nothing will change there. And sleaving the OEM tube would reduce the volume. It would probably simpler to just buy a Diana pcp pistol from PA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version