GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

28 FPE

(1/1)

VaporTrail:
So I'm reading through these threads, trying to gather as much info as I can about knocking a pig down...and I come across a post about Jim Chapman taking a pig with the Compatto that is supposedly shooting about 28 fpe.

I think I've seen the video, but I can't recall if he said how heavy it was. At 40 yards, that's a great shot. Now I've also read the thread where Manny stoned that porker with that break barrel...goes without saying, that was an awesome shot as well.

So now I'm curious. With a Gamo Magnum shooting CPUM Domes at about 940 FPS (~28 FPE) within 20 yards...what do you think would be the biggest porker that could be taken? Fusebox shots only. I'm looking at either temple shots or 2 inches up from right in between the peepers.

I'll start the discussion with 25-30 pounders. I think they would still be taken, based on size and age.

What does the collective say?

Back_Roads:
 IMO 1 FPE per pound. I guess HOSP just need a puff of air  :-\

mpbby:
For me, the decisive approach regarding the hogs’ armoring should be based on ‘age’.

The species sus scrofa is the same for the wild and domestic hogs, so, I believe, their bones development should be ‘similar’. 
Just thinking, if, by one side the wild hogs should be naturally tougher, by the other side the domestic ones should be better nourished (Calcium, etc.).

In a study for ‘normal’ domestic pigs (Table 1), the ‘cranial vault thickness’ (forehead) starts with about 1+ mm for the newborn.
With about 9 weeks (“46” pounds) the forehead bone reaches about “5” mm; 13/14 weeks (“80” pounds) >> “7” mm; 20 weeks (“110” pounds) >> “9” mm; 31 weeks (“330” pounds) >> “28” mm; 47 weeks (“420” pounds) >> “32” mm; 65 weeks (“450” pounds) >> “38” mm.

We may objectively see a large difference in the forehead bone thickness as they age.

Would the bone’s ‘hardness’ also keep increasing with age?  Unfortunately, even if available a skull collection from different weights and ages, the ‘hardness’ is different from ‘wet‘ to dry bones.  So, I think it should be inconclusive to do bone penetration tests using the skulls.  Nevertheless, for information about the feral hogs, it could be gradually built a list of weights and forehead bone thickness; also, the depth of the spine a bit behind the ears, for eventual neck shots.

Making a decision, I would consider the whole appearance regarding - maturity.  Besides size.., the shape of the body/head, more or less hair, .. ? ?

It seems to me that – within “20+” yards, using heavier pellets (consistent accuracy and bigger ‘Momentum’ at ChairGun), being VERY patient and self-disciplined for shot placement/perpendicular shots, I would take the chance up to the ones that look like as being ‘still young’.  If it looks like being an ‘adult’, I would just take pictures.

Moral of the story, never forget to bring a camera when hunting feral hogs with a springer.  If they show up, you won’t be frustrated.

http://www.wabbrown.co.uk/severeundernutritioninanimals.pdf

Nomadic Pirate:
Well,...naturally the perfect shot placement is paramount but also once you decide to stretch it with lower powers pellet choice is extremely important, extremely.

The hog I got with the 17 FPE Disco .177 is way more then 30 pounds and I used H&N Baracuda.

The Hog I got with the 22 FPE NP2 .22 was also way more then 30 pounds and again I used the H&N Baracuda.

VaporTrail:
Back_Roads - I guess that's a good place to start, although I'd be inclined to offer that sometimes that may not always hold true. Curious though: can you eat sparrows? We don't exactly have a ton of small game here on the island...so usually if I have a chance to eat something, I am almost always willing to munch on it for the experience. Eh...all things considered, of course.  ;)

mpbby - I'd like to do a comparison between domestic hog skulls and feral ones. It's been a little bit of a busy week for me, so hopefully we can get back in the swing of things. If we're lucky, then perhaps I'll be able to get my hands on a hog skull...that would really make for good testing. I'm thinking if I stay within 20 yards I'll be ok at least up to 30 lbs with the proper shot and pellet. Any bigger, and I'll be reaching the .22lr.  ;D

Manny - Very very true. I see that Baracudas are a staple round for you. What are your thoughts on the CPUM Domes? I would think they would be acceptable as they are a harder pellet. The Baracudas have proven themselves; unbelievable on that Disco hunt...I don't know if I'd be able to pull that off. The NP2 hunt was pretty kick butt as well...hopefully I can do something similar; although I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a smaller hog.

Thanks all for the replies!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version