GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

how to make wood grips for 2240

(1/6) > >>

Can-o-cide:
Here is a fairly fool proof method for making grips.

to start with, take your piece of 1x3 and split it on a table saw. Board A has width 7/16" and board B has width 3/16". Plane a 1/16" off each board, and cut both boards into 5 and 3/8" pieces.

Place a piece of B onto the grip frame, and mark a hole for the screw. Drill it to 1/4"". Do the same with a piece of A, drilling it to 9/64" and countersunk with 5/16".

Gently screw the pieces to the frame and trace out the frame. Cut out the pieces on a band saw. See pics below for a general idea. The piece of B serves as a spacer, which we need because the grip frame has an annoying step in it.

now put glue between the two cutouts and make sure the holes are lined up good and screw to the frame and rotate until they line up to the frame well, then take the cutouts off the frame and clamp. Let the glue dry. After the glue dries, screw the panel to the frame and sand the edges of the panel close to the frame edges. Once it is really close, you can take the panel off the frame and sand a little at a time until it becomes flush to the frame edge. You don't want to accidently sand the frame and take off paint.

the rest us really up to you. I used an orbital sander to do all of the rough sanding, then hand sanded the rest..

just thought I'd share my two piece method for making a grip panel, it is the easiest way to do it, and it is guaranteed to not have gaps around the rear of the grip, which one piece jobs are prone to have. It is a fairly fool proof method if you take your time.

gillchaser:
Looking forward to your pics and how these turn out . Kirby

Can-o-cide:
Here are some pics of some grips I made out of poplar.

Can-o-cide:
Here's a pump handle I'm making for my 1322. It has met Mr. Band saw and is awaiting Mr. Sander. To make it, I ripped a piece of 1x material to 1 and 3/4". I then set up the table saw to make a 5/8" deep cut, and took off a blade width, which is 1/8", on either side of the 1x2 I cut. I then took this piece and cut it into several 6 and 1/2" pieces and glued two of these pieces together. This forms a 1/4" dado which fits the pump linkage. The holes are separated by 2 and 7/8" and are drilled 9/64" with a 5/16" countersink. After cuttingng out the shape you see here on a band saw, I am ready to sand. I'll sand out the ledge on the top of the pump arm, and round off the sides. This will make the pump arm fatter on the bottom. I'll sand more material off the sides towards the front than I do towards this rear. This will make an exaggerated oversized fat grip to pump with.

johninthecamper:
I do pretty much do it the same way,the front frame inlet makes for a much nicer end result. no hollowness and stays in place,i find that getting the notch where your thumb web is, is very hard to get perfect

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version