GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

First try at Crosman Grips

(1/10) > >>

WhatUPSbox?:
Thanks to a successful buy-and-save strategy in Bargain-gate, I ended with a collection of plastic gripped Crosman pistols. Since there is a handful of them, I took a shot at making some nicer grips. I'm not a woodworker but do enjoy making larger pieces of wood into smaller pieces from time to time. I used the writeups on Another Airgun Blog as general guidance http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/search/label/grips?updated-max=2009-08-29T18:58:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=18&by-date=false . Only after I made them, did I find Randy's How-to in this gate https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=96164.0 His glue-up approach is a good alternative to forming the inside of the grips. Also a little late, I found the woods not to use thread  https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=145350.0 so of course my grips are done in Lowes red oak (I did chamfer them so that they do not contact steel other than the mounting screw).

It took a little strategy in picking the method for cutting the relief in the back side, so it was more work to get to the Dremel-ready stage (first image) than the actual shaping of the contours. The Dremel 1/2" drum sander bit with a coarse band was a wonder at removing and shaping material, just the right size for the finger grooves. I wanted to try a fairly deep thumb and index finger channel so I started each side at 3/4" thick.  Lots of fit checks later, the grips fit my hand pretty well. I left one unstained and one has cherry stain that I had. Pretty happy with the results (of course if you look closely there are typical beginner flaws)

So now the plastic grips don't feel that good and I'll be making more of these. May even try one with a target shelf on the bottom.

If you are thinking of trying to make a set, go for it. The material cost is trivial and all it costs is some hobby time.

ShakySarge:
Well done. I like them.

Wayne52:
My favorite grips are the one piece that came on the 150's.  They actually had both but I'm not sure when either type was first introduced.  Many of the parts on the Crosman 150 type 1 & 2 have numbers that coincide with other older Crosman pistols. 

My most recent 150 has 2 piece grips

This one here has the one piece grip and from the side view you can't tell the difference.

One with the white handles I noticed they creak real bad, the one piece are the best IMO but they're both very comfortable.

My Ted Williams (Sears) has the one piece grip

Here's another variation they used on the type 2's which were 2 piece.

Stinger177:
Those are nice looking grips! They appear from the back view to be a bit wider than these that came on my 2240. I don't know who made them (were these a Crosman option in the day?). I actually don't find them very comfortable for some reason and it could be that they are too narrow. Or maybe it's the lack of a forefinger shelf on the right side.

Stinger177:

--- Quote ---May even try one with a target shelf on the bottom.
--- End quote ---

Just caught that statement. A palm shelf is something I'd really like to see on a Crosman. I might even be interested in buying a set from you. Custom grips is one of my favorite things on my airguns. (hint, hint... ;))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version