Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Anyone here use Tannerite?  (Read 5212 times))

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Anyone here use Tannerite?
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »
Ok guys, I need some insight from those with more knowledge than I currently possess. I really need you guys input to decide if we should go ahead with this endeavor

I was thinking to purchase some Tannerite for an airgun competition that an association I'm a member of is supposed to be hosting. Then I stumbled across the recipe for something similar that could be home made for less than it costs to purchase the actual brand named Tannerite. So I thought that would be a viable option also, & I would like to go with this option if at all possible & safe. So far I am aware of the mixture ratio & method, storage requirements before mixing & that it isn't to be stored or transported after mixing. I am also aware of what can be done to make it work better. Most importantly I am fully aware of it's potential to cause damage or harm if used recklessly, & if we go ahead steps will be taken to guarantee that no person or item will feel the effects physical of it's use for it intended purpose. To give an idea of what I mean, I will just say that if it is used it will be suspended at least 3' off the ground & 5' below a 3/4" thick steel H beam at about 75-100 yards away.

What I'd like to know is a few things, namely:

1-How effective is the DIY version of that stuff? Or should I just go with the actual Tannerite brand?
2-Will a .177 pellet set it off?
3-How little can we use for a reaction to be seen from 75-100 yards. I ask this because I saw persons using amounts from 1lb of of it, all the way up as much as 2 pounds. I would prefer to use MUCH LESS if at all possible because we do not want to have a large reaction. Can a 4-6 ounce charge be set of by a .177 pellet?

Thanks for any & all insight you good people can provide me with
  • Trinidad and Tobago
Current guns:.177 BT65SB (aka Big sexy), .177 Bullboss  (aka The Meat Maker)

Offline 454 Big Block Chevy

• 454 BBC///Edward
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Anyone here use Tannerite?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »
I will post.

Tannerite is a very very sketchy area.  it is 1. perfectly legal.  2. Very safe!  when it does explode it turns into Water vapor, there is no flame.  3. its very loud 4. people can and do very stupid things with it.  I personally have shot tannerite targets from the small rimfire targets with my condor, up to the large 4-5 lb big boomers with my .30-06.  I will say, if you don't have 40-50 FPE air rifles they WILL NOT detonate.  springers will NOT do it.  you have to be able to give them a decent shock at 50 yards, and no springer that exists today has that capability (to my knowledge).   

as far as DIY versions, again, if your safe with it, they are pefectly safe and legal to manufacture and use.  I would highly recommend buying the commercial production stuff because things are measured properly.  However even the rimfire versions are very difficult to set off with PCP airguns and impossible for springers.  Follow ALL manufacturer recommendations on distances and caliber to shoot them with.  Please.  yes you CAN set off small ammounts of it.  take the rimfire targets and you can split them up after mixing.  the Rimfire rated targets have an additive to make them detonate at lower impact velocities.  Please dont' do stupid things. 

Ed
  • Center township PA(North West of Pittsburgh about 30 miles)
FX Impact X MKII .25 ////700mm  25.4 JSB Kings @ 925 FPS, 75+ shots.  Tuned by Tony at Talon Tunes

USAF VET SSGT, 10 YEARS, AFGHANISTAN CAMPAIGN MEDAL

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Plain ole' Admin
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
Too many safety and federal law violation on explosives to allow the discussion here.
Sorry...but cannot be allowed for member safety.
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Plain ole' Admin
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
Plus the fact that airguns do not have the capability of setting them off, the topic really has no place on GTA.
:)
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be