Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Covid Strikes Again  (Read 1005 times))

Offline Artie

• Expert
  • yes
Covid Strikes Again
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:57:11 PM »
My wife's employer, an attorney, passed away three hours ago from Covid. He had been on a ventilator for less than 24 hours and in the hospital for three weeks. His wife is in the same hospital suffering from covid, about to go on a ventilator as well.
The attorney and his wife are approximately the same age as my wife and I (66). Prior to the infection they were otherwise healthy with no underlying problems. They chose not to vaccinate.
My wife chose not to vaccinate. She caught covid from her employer. She will survive.
I chose vaccination when my age group was selected for vaccination. I have not become a victim and have tested negative as have the other folks in my wife's office that chose vaccination. My wife and all her co-workers are now unemployed.
I thank the good lord for my wife's blessing, grieve for Ben, and pray for his wife. It is however, a difficult pill to swallow, the consequence and uneccesary waste of humanity for refusing a vaccination.
  • North Carolina

Offline egd

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Covid Strikes Again
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:46:37 PM »
I'm sorry for all that loss. It is just such an unnecessary tragedy. People with no health condition who refuse the vaccine just defy logic. It makes no sense.
There was a big thread here recently by an anti vaxer and I'm sure he'll be back to tell us why it shouldn't matter. But your situation is just another of the thousands of reasons why it does matter. We can relegate this  virus to no different than other viruses if more people would pull their head out of you-know-where and get the shots.
  • USA, AR, Little Rock

Offline lefteyeshot

• without hope, without fear
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »
Over half a million have died from the virus. I haven't heard of any deaths from the vaccine.
  • Savannah, Ga.
470th, 56th, 350PC, 430
Parrus/w, Terrus/w
Dominator carbine, 155, 135
Proxima, Tommy
ES92 (Spain)
BSA SS SE
Silent Cat GRT Shadow 1000
Shadow 1000 GRT
Norica Massimo .22, Black Eagle
CZ631, 634
Hammerli X2 dual cal.(Mendoza)
Mendoza RM2800 .22 brk brl repeater
RM3000 .22,RM600, TF M12
Crosman RM577, RM377
Beeman 1048 Stainless
Beeman RS2.177/.22
Beeman Mach12.5
Beeman 2016W DB .177/.22
AirHawkElite wood T.H.
Blackhawk Elite bamboo T.H.
Storm in Ben.TH.stock, GRT
Storm GRT
Crosman 3100(Spain)
RWS93 (Spain)
Win.1100w,1000w,800w
2 TF99 .117/.22, TF97 TF89 .177
TF89 (chopped, shrouded Beeman .22 Brl.)
B40, B21, B26-2 MM, B20, RWS320
I.B. B3, Peak B4-2
2 QB6 .177/.22, B4-1, QB57
TS45
Fastdeer
Peak B3-1AK
BAM B3-1AK .22
AR2078, AR2078B 
Sheridan 2260MB
EIG 1353 co2 (Japan)
Zogunz Hawk 010 .22 (Phil.)

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »
People tend to fear the unknown. Betty Lou and I are both vaccinated. We are also of the mindset that people should be able to make their own choices.
Bottom line... take your chances with the virus which has definite statistics or take your chances with the vaccination where the jury is still out on long term affects.
The deciding factor for us was... if we didn't do something to make an attempt at being part of the solution then we would most likely end up being part of the problem. We chose not to put ourselves above others.
That said, we do not judge others for their decisions. We continue to mask up and social distance.
Different people have different reasons to not wear a mask, to not take the shots. I don't claim to know all of the reasons. Frankly, it's none of my business. Lots of things in this world that I don't know all the details about and without all the details it's impossible to make the absolute right decision. So all we can do is what's right for us based on we know about us.
I don't go around stomping my foot at folks for making their choice and I dam sure don't want to see anyone stomping theirs at me. That's when I get bent up.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline airgunbuff

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »
People tend to fear the unknown. Betty Lou and I are both vaccinated. We are also of the mindset that people should be able to make their own choices.
Bottom line... take your chances with the virus which has definite statistics or take your chances with the vaccination where the jury is still out on long term affects.
The deciding factor for us was... if we didn't do something to make an attempt at being part of the solution then we would most likely end up being part of the problem. We chose not to put ourselves above others.
That said, we do not judge others for their decisions. We continue to mask up and social distance.
Different people have different reasons to not wear a mask, to not take the shots. I don't claim to know all of the reasons. Frankly, it's none of my business. Lots of things in this world that I don't know all the details about and without all the details it's impossible to make the absolute right decision. So all we can do is what's right for us based on we know about us.
I don't go around stomping my foot at folks for making their choice and I dam sure don't want to see anyone stomping theirs at me. That's when I get bent up.

Very well put !! sorry for the loss of life but here in America we have the ability to chose for ourselves.  I am sick cancer and diabiates and I am old... I chose to say no thank you and I am at risk.  When one gets up in the morning you are at risk period !!
Love one another and shoot straight
kindly
ron
  • usa, florida,

Offline Jshooter71

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ~Ora et Labora~
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 04:08:25 PM »

Very well put !! sorry for the loss of life but here in America we have the ability to chose for ourselves.  I am sick cancer and diabiates and I am old... I chose to say no thank you and I am at risk.  When one gets up in the morning you are at risk period !!
kindly
ron

Here,
Here!
  • USA, Arkansas, Prairie Grove
Daisy 1938 Red Ryder 70th Anniversary
DPMS Panther A4 Classic .177 UTG 2-16x44
Umarex Octane Elite .22 UTG 2-16x44
Diana AMO3 Stealth .22 UTG 2-16x44
Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177 UTG 3-12x32
Walther Terrus .177 (gifted by fwbsport) UTG 3-9x40
Walther LGU Varmint .22 UTG 6-24x56
FDAR XS60C .177 REX 3-12x40
Walther Parrus .22 Factory Sights

“Slay dragons, do noble deeds and never, never give up.”

Find other GTA members in your area. 🇺🇸
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline Jshooter71

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ~Ora et Labora~
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 04:09:08 PM »

kindly
ron

Here,
Here!

Or is it:
Hear,
Hear!?
  • USA, Arkansas, Prairie Grove
Daisy 1938 Red Ryder 70th Anniversary
DPMS Panther A4 Classic .177 UTG 2-16x44
Umarex Octane Elite .22 UTG 2-16x44
Diana AMO3 Stealth .22 UTG 2-16x44
Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177 UTG 3-12x32
Walther Terrus .177 (gifted by fwbsport) UTG 3-9x40
Walther LGU Varmint .22 UTG 6-24x56
FDAR XS60C .177 REX 3-12x40
Walther Parrus .22 Factory Sights

“Slay dragons, do noble deeds and never, never give up.”

Find other GTA members in your area. 🇺🇸
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
Made their choice and paid the ultimate price. It's the "ripple effect" of those choices and the impact on innocent others that angers me.
  • Nebraska
attitude
not aptitude
determines altitude

Offline airgunbuff

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »
Made their choice and paid the ultimate price. It's the "ripple effect" of those choices and the impact on innocent others that angers me.

when one gets angery.. ones brain tends to function less tan it could otherwise.  Too much emotion is never a good thing.  That said I do understand
be kind one to another
kindly
ron
  • usa, florida,

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »
Artie.... just curious..
Does your wife now question her choice not to vaccinate?
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline Artie

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 06:02:58 PM »
     My wife's irony was she had finally decided to vaccinate when she became ill. The first few days were nothing more than sniffles, runny nose, and occasional coughing. North Carolina was at the height of the Spring bloom then and pollen blanketed the area. Her symptoms were like an allergy. She had an appointment for vaccination when I warned her about being rejected because of her symptons so I suggested she be tested. She tested positive and things went downhill quick. She will now be elgible for vaccination in 90 days.
     People do have choices but in my experience, the more responsibility someone has, the greater the consequences of a wrong decision. I spent nearly thirty years in combat arms. Key to our success was force protection. Force protection includes preventive healthcare. Vaccination is a very important part of preventive healthcare. At least it was when I was on active duty. We fought as a team, so we either won as a team or we lost as a team. It would of never crossed our minds to opt out of a vaccine that could protect us from a disease that would jeopardize the mission and harm the team.
In my humble opinion an employer is the civilian equivalent of the commander of a team. A strong commander must lead from the front and that means leading by example.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:07:51 PM by Artie »
  • North Carolina

Offline airgunbuff

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
     My wife's irony was she had finally decided to vaccinate when she became ill. The first few days were nothing more than sniffles, runny nose, and occasional coughing. North Carolina was at the height of the Spring bloom then and pollen blanketed the area. Her symptoms were like an allergy. She had an appointment for vaccination when I warned her about being rejected because of her symptons so I suggested she be tested. She tested positive and things went downhill quick. She will now be elgible for vaccination in 90 days.
     People do have choices but in my experience, the more responsibility someone has, the greater the consequences of a wrong decision. I spent nearly thirty years in combat arms. Key to our success was force protection. Force protection includes preventive healthcare. Vaccination is a very important part of preventive healthcare. At least it was when I was on active duty. We fought as a team, so we either won as a team or we lost as a team. It would of never crossed our minds to opt out of a vaccine that could protect us from a disease that would jeopardize the mission and harm the team.
In my humble opinion an employer is the civilian equivalent of the commander of a team. A strong commander must lead from the front and that means leading by example.

Thank you for your service Art... but please note 40 percent of Marines do not want the jab..
kindly
ron
  • usa, florida,

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »
A sad story, that unfortunately will become all too common when vaccinations stop before herd immunity is reached.... simply because people feel their personal freedoms outweigh their social responsibility to others....  :'(

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Offline egd

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
A sad story, that unfortunately will become all too common when vaccinations stop before herd immunity is reached.... simply because people feel their personal freedoms outweigh their social responsibility to others....  :'(

Bob
Excellent way to put it rsterne. It's me me me, my choice, to *(&^ with how it affects others.
  • USA, AR, Little Rock

Offline Privateer

• Village Idiot
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Air is free until you start compressing it!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:42:08 PM »
Here We go with a thread going down hill really fast.
I'm not gonna even bother quoting the threads that point out I'm a villain or less then a Patriotic person.
Guess my jumping out of Military Aircraft means nothing since I choose to not be hit with an unproven drug.

Remember Zantac? Yeah. Years later cancer lawsuits.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced on April 1, 2020 that it is requesting manufacturers to withdraw all Zantac and generic Zantac OTC ranitidine drugs from the market effective immediately."

OOPS! Not so darned safe eh?
  • Nevada, Ohio
Fleabag Whisperer

Offline Artie

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »
"but please note 40 percent of Marines do not want the jab.."

100% don't want to dig a foxhole until their first artillery attack.

Privateer and others: This thread is not intended to stir controversey. Please refrain from making something sad bad.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:48:14 PM by Artie »
  • North Carolina

Offline Privateer

• Village Idiot
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
To be VERY blunt?

I find questioning MY service to be nothing short of offensive.
And my FREEDOM of choice being questioned, or more directly stated?
You are attempting per-pressure in a way I find very aggressive and threatening!

How long before you all demand a shot record before I can log in?
You are on that road!
  • Nevada, Ohio
Fleabag Whisperer

Offline Privateer

• Village Idiot
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »

Privateer and others: This thread is not intended to stir controversey. Please refrain from making something sad bad.
Read your very own post!
Am I sad for your lose?
YES!
But you attempt to say you were such a Good Solder so anyone NOT taking unknown shots of unknown drugs?
They must be unpatriotic or such.
And I don't buy into "Social Responsibility". That is just another catch phrase people jump on a band wagon
to try to FORCE people to meet their expectations.

I was not going to say a thing in this thread. But when you posted your drivel?
Yeah. You hit a nerve. Take responsibility for that.
I assume Marines can still do that, Right?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:23:42 PM by Privateer »
  • Nevada, Ohio
Fleabag Whisperer

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 07:33:37 PM »
Over half a million have died from the virus. I haven't heard of any deaths from the vaccine.

They tend to try and kinda hide that kind of information. It's in the THOUSANDS

Here's one where I bet her daughter wished she HADN'T gotten the shot

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-mom-dies-four-days-after-taking-covid-vaccine
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
"but please note 40 percent of Marines do not want the jab.."

100% don't want to dig a foxhole until their first artillery attack.

Frankly, we have had several covid threads for over a year now, and every single one of them gets controversial, and anyone who has been here during that time, who reads the Back Room knows that. Maybe not intended to be controversial, but past experience indicates that it very likely will be. If it starts getting nasty, and quite frankly, I have already seen snide and insulting remarks from both sides, this thread, just as the others, will be shut down. Most of us have been negatively affected in one way or anothet, and to start trying to guilt-trip others is wholly uncalled for. I suggest you all abide by the old rule that if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all. Many of us are suffering from covid burn-out.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous