Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Texan explosion.  (Read 5762 times))

Offline mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little minds” - Thoreau
Re: Texan explosion.
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »

...I look at my big tanks with one eye closed and somewhat of a bit of paranoia.

Actually your tank comment (plus this *alleged* incident) has made me feel better about investing in a compressor rather than another fill tank. Not that I've not had any in the past (three at once in a past airgun life, all cascaded together in the trunk of my car when we visited various chicken and pig farms) but in my slow retired lifestyle now, a ruptured burst disc does indeed seem safer.  8)
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.

Offline Dan H

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Its fine to be conscious of high pressure air dangers , but this thing reads like a FAKE CNN NEWS REPORT ! ... ::)
  • Washington   Ridgefield
xp-airguns ranger 45 cal 36inch barrel monster Richards tiger laminate stock
Badger .40 Richards microfit apache gold laminate stock .....  AEA Challenger .357  AEA .30 32-inch barrel challenger bullpup  ... Hatsan bt65 carnivore  .30 and a .357 carnivore  ... DAR .22  DAR.25  ... Hatsan Gladius  .25 ... Hatsan Bullboss  .25
Hatsan at44 long .25   Hatsan Vectis .25... Umarex Gauntlet .25    Walther MaximaThor .25
career mk300 -.22 cal .... Sumatra .22 cal
Sam Yang 909-308 cal .... Marader .25 cal boyds blaster laminate stock .   
shoe  box compressor/yong heng compressor  1=500 steel cf dot tank ...3=88cf scba tanks ...4=44cf scba tanks

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2020, 11:55:58 PM »
Its fine to be conscious of high pressure air dangers , but this thing reads like a FAKE CNN NEWS REPORT ! ... ::)

I fully understand (and personally agree) with this sentiment,
BUT,
Let's be very conscious (and CAREFUL) that this thread line avoids further political implications.
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 01:01:44 AM »
I personally think that the idea this tragedy is a hoax is far fetched.... For a moment, just put yourself in the position of the guy who is injured.... How do you think you would feel reading that some here think this is "fake news"?....  :o

I agree that details are lacking, but IMO too many on this Forum subscribe to the latest "conspiracy theory" floating around, whatever that may be.... Call me naive if you like, but I was always taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated....  ::)

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2020, 01:05:58 AM »
I personally think that the idea this tragedy is a hoax is far fetched.... For a moment, just put yourself in the position of the guy who is injured.... How do you think you would feel reading that some here think this is "fake news"?....  :o

I agree that details are lacking, but IMO too many on this Forum subscribe to the latest "conspiracy theory" floating around, whatever that may be.... Call me naive if you like, but I was always taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated....  ::)

Bob
100% agreed
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline Dan H

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2020, 04:53:09 AM »
UPDATE ON SUPPOSED INCIDENT

Hi guys my original post of information about the “explosion” came directly from the person who made the original post in my airgun group on Facebook since that time I have reached out in private messaging to the person who made the post who states he is good friends with the person that the “incident “ happened to . At first he told me of physical damages that had occurred , loss of an ear and an eye ,severe concussion and 4 fractures in one arm. I expressed concern for the “person” and get well wishes ... sorry I didn’t express my concern in my first post on this thread to you guys, obviously nobody wants to see anybody get hurt in our industry for any reason......... now onto the development of this story as it has progressed, the friend of the person who had the “accident with oxygen “ are both within a 3 hour drive from me here in Virginia. I did google searches for news  reports , police reports  etc nothing as of yet . Original poster stated he went over to the house with the guys mother to check the bottles at his home from the welding shop where they found this mistaken bottle of oxygen I asked for pictures of gun and bottle of oxygen he stated the cops confiscated the gun and he did not think to take pics of the oxygen tank. I have since then requested the name of the welding shop , name of the hospital the injured fella is in and contact info of the mother , I also told him that Jeremy at AAO and myself would like to start a go fund me to help him with medical expenses. Now I  cannot get any more information from the original poster other than excuses, he just ignores my questions about hospital and welding shop names and now tells me he does not need a go fund me started because he already knows that his insurance is covering 100% of the medical expenses because he owns 3 companies and also works for the government and is well off and does not need our help for his medical bills ...... possible fake news ? Conspiracy theory ? Why I can’t get any hard proof evidence of this actually happening is beyond me , no hospital name no welding shop name , the injured fella name was supposedly James Maddox that name or anything similar has not purchased any upgrade kits from neither jeremy or I as we have checked all of our orders. According to the original poster he bought the gun used from someone “out west” and he is unable to supply that name either. Why he will not provide any basic info is beyond me , the original poster has also made wild claims of modified and or custom valves he has made for other guns like 650fps out of his modded Umarex airsaber snd almost 1,500 FPS out of his custom Umarex gauntlet but never shows any data from a chrony or video evidence of any of that either and guys in my Facebook group have asked repeatedly for evidence of these performance claims. He always has an excuse why he doesn’t. Why he would make this incident up is beyond me your guess is as good as mine but until I get some basic answers or names of welding shop/ hospital etc I will be Leary of any more information he tells me. Like I said if it’s true I wish nothing but the best for the victim and his family and Jeremy and I are willing to do something to help this fella out but obviously we can’t do that without getting any information other than the “accident” occurring
  Read this post again .... , when I objectively look at this  I realize no one knows who it was that was supposedly injured ...

no hospital name ...

NO TIME with actual proof that this event actually happened - other than some guy on face book posted this with ZERO proof or factual provable info on this supposed incident , or who it even was ...  ::)

no welding shop name ...

I did google searches for news  reports , police reports  etc nothing as of yet ....

Peter = anti squirrel's post who lives in that area  ..... 

Speaking as a Virginian with ties to some local news sources... No sign of this accident happening in the actual news.  I don't consider Facebook to be news.  I also question a claim about any welding shop mixing up Oxygen and Helium.  A weld shop is going to take HP welding gases very seriously, and they simply aren't gonna mix 2 different bottles with 2 different sets of fittings with totally different handling protocols.

I worked in a hydraulic and HPA shop and have partaken of DT (destructive testing ) on HP bottles.  The bunker at Mare Island was where I saw this go down. A couple-feet thick of prestressed pre-tensions super-reinforced concrete and the bottles blowing up would still shake the place.  double-hearing protection require.  You do NOT wanna be on the receiving end of HPA shrapnel.

then we have Bob's post ,and as a welder myself of course I know this to be absolutely true on the mix up of bottles claim ...

Bobs post =
Unintentional filling with, or connecting to a tank containing, the wrong gas is impossible, because CGA fittings are designed to prevent that.... I simply stated that those speculating about, reporting or investigating this incident, should keep that fact foremost in their minds.... Note that there was no mention of a "dive shop", or the shooter's bottle being filled with the wrong gas.... The reference (posted to deflect responsibility from the vendor) was to "picking up a bottle from a welding shop"....

I feel sorry for the person injured, and hope that we will eventually hear the CORRECT details of what happened.... but I have my doubts....

Bob

another post buy another GTA trusted member that also makes sense ....Marko =MJP

I am no expert but I know for a fact that you cant connect flammable gas reg to inert gas line or oxygen to air or nitrogen line. Not without jerry rigging the connection one way or the other so not possible by accident.
How do I know this, well I have manufactured the fitting for Linden group / AGA some years back.

We also made hydrogen containers for shipping hydrogen. And I have pretty good idea what fits where.

So do enlighten us what do you thing is the dis-information you accuse some of us providing?

Marko

The Lawyer side of my brain tells me this is a hoax posted by someone with bad intentions on face book ... imagine that ... ::)  ,and that my friends is not hard to believe  ;)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:59:39 AM by Dan H »
  • Washington   Ridgefield
xp-airguns ranger 45 cal 36inch barrel monster Richards tiger laminate stock
Badger .40 Richards microfit apache gold laminate stock .....  AEA Challenger .357  AEA .30 32-inch barrel challenger bullpup  ... Hatsan bt65 carnivore  .30 and a .357 carnivore  ... DAR .22  DAR.25  ... Hatsan Gladius  .25 ... Hatsan Bullboss  .25
Hatsan at44 long .25   Hatsan Vectis .25... Umarex Gauntlet .25    Walther MaximaThor .25
career mk300 -.22 cal .... Sumatra .22 cal
Sam Yang 909-308 cal .... Marader .25 cal boyds blaster laminate stock .   
shoe  box compressor/yong heng compressor  1=500 steel cf dot tank ...3=88cf scba tanks ...4=44cf scba tanks

Offline Chickenthief

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
  • Denmark, Copenhagen

Offline Tiroflojo

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2020, 04:35:50 AM »
Greetings.
    If in my previous post it was understood that I blamed the GTA forum as a community, or its administrators, for the spread of hoaxes, this is not what
 I wanted to say, and I apologize for that.
    What I mean is that it has been used before and I believe that the GTA forum is now used as a means of "propagating" episodes that have not occurred. This is inevitable because the forum members can use it with full freedom. if the news of the accident is true - it is of great interest to the compressed air community and can serve to prevent a recurrence.
     But I insist that the damage done to the reputation of the person or company affected by this improbable news is done without remedy even if it is later shown to be a hoax. And "those who move the strings" and use the forum as a tool to circulate a lie, they achieve their goal.
      Do not you think that if a person has been seriously injured in an accident with an airgun, the authorities and the lawyer of the affected person would have already contacted the person who can be considered responsible for this damage caused?
     And it seems impossible to me that in all this time it has been impossible to find photos and other news in other media that expand and verify this type of serious accident.
     So I remember -as an example- the case of a serious accident, in which a person was injured by the impact of a valve body of an air rifle, as the rifle was manipulated without removing the pressure from the pressurized air tube. the news many shocking photos of the injured leg: materially pierced from side to side, with a large hole, by the tripped valve. And photos of the subsequent healing of the injured and the object that caused it. These photos and the news of the accident were made by a personal friend of the injured person and propagated by him in different media. Nothing to do with the circumstances and development of this other supposed accident.
     The big difference: one was clearly true, while this one now lacks any real data or images to confirm that it is true.
  • España, Spain

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2020, 07:17:27 AM »
Greetings.
    If in my previous post it was understood that I blamed the GTA forum as a community, or its administrators, for the spread of hoaxes, this is not what
 I wanted to say, and I apologize for that.
    What I mean is that it has been used before and I believe that the GTA forum is now used as a means of "propagating" episodes that have not occurred. This is inevitable because the forum members can use it with full freedom. if the news of the accident is true - it is of great interest to the compressed air community and can serve to prevent a recurrence.
     But I insist that the damage done to the reputation of the person or company affected by this improbable news is done without remedy even if it is later shown to be a hoax. And "those who move the strings" and use the forum as a tool to circulate a lie, they achieve their goal.
      Do not you think that if a person has been seriously injured in an accident with an airgun, the authorities and the lawyer of the affected person would have already contacted the person who can be considered responsible for this damage caused?
     And it seems impossible to me that in all this time it has been impossible to find photos and other news in other media that expand and verify this type of serious accident.
     So I remember -as an example- the case of a serious accident, in which a person was injured by the impact of a valve body of an air rifle, as the rifle was manipulated without removing the pressure from the pressurized air tube. the news many shocking photos of the injured leg: materially pierced from side to side, with a large hole, by the tripped valve. And photos of the subsequent healing of the injured and the object that caused it. These photos and the news of the accident were made by a personal friend of the injured person and propagated by him in different media. Nothing to do with the circumstances and development of this other supposed accident.
     The big difference: one was clearly true, while this one now lacks any real data or images to confirm that it is true.

From what I've seen, if you are a Forum Sponsor - this kind of posting is not allowed, and is removed. If however, you are not a sponsor, you're fair game.
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline kkarmical

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »

Bob

+1

If I'd had an accident that caused an explosion resulting in a life changing situation, the very last thing I would be thinking about a little over 2 weeks, would be a bunch of internet yahoos, and to be honest a vendors "reputation".

In time the more details will come to light, and to say that some something is a hoax because an internet search of personal medical records or an ongoing incident investigation, is irresponsible, and in general pretty messed up. 

I  witnessed a guy on the receiving end of CPR, and imo he was dead already.  It happened at a supermarket I normally go to.  I  was so troubled by it, that I wanted to follow up and see if maybe the guy made it.
I searched local emergency logs that I could access, and all local hospitals, and newspapers and couldn't find anything. 

Couple days later, asked one of the stores employees, yes the guy had in fact died, but that was all the information I could obtain, doing a normal citizen search.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:31:27 AM by kkarmical »
  • Fairfield, CA
AEA HP SS .30
Artemis PP750 & PP700SA  both .22
Taipan Vet Shorty .25
Kral NP-03 .25
Airforce TalonP
Mrod Bullpup .25
Kral P/Breaker .22
SPA P-12 .22

Offline PakProtector

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

Bob

If this had been me( just to use an example I am comfortable with), I would be appalled by how far it has gone without seeing something I could label proof.

As to the 'fake news' there are plenty of examples out there that, including background info from the horse's mouth that if I see that label, I can be sure it is a straight up fact. Now why in the heck I need to put any qualifiers/adjectives on the term 'fact'...I do indeed know where to lay that blame.
cheers,
Douglas
  • Ann Arbor, MI, USA
My most valuable friends are the ones who will tell me I am wrong.

More valuable still are the ones who go to the trouble of making me see it.

Offline darkcharisma

• Expert
  • yes
    • DCtunes
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2020, 07:36:53 PM »
I am just thinking out loud.

I am puzzled that we still not able to get some real detail about this incident. If it is real, Chad should not contact the "friend" anymore and contact the police department where this incident has occurred. Get some real information from them! since he told us the airgun has been confiscated. Also, If Chad knows it takes 3 hours of driving, Chad should know the general area of destination or the exact address and Chad should pick up the trail from there starting with the police department, then the mom. If Chad can get in touch with the mom, then everything should be cleared. This "friend" has no "freaking" right to refuse Chad's good intentions, it should be the mom to needs to decide that. Everything in "inconclusive" even with Chads reports. Again, I am just puzzled and thinking out loud. no foul intention coming from me...!

And all the pointing fingers from earlier on. dang idiots, this is exactly why I should quit hanging around idiots, to avoid catching the symptoms.
  • SACHSE

Offline Eric G.

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
I have a 1st gen Texan .457.  I have shot it thousands of times at 3000PSI, it's maximum fill.  The top hat valve is supposed to "lock" when filled over 3000 yielding a low power shot.  However after accidentally filling the gun to over (3300) and shooting it the gun shot ver well....in fact a bit harder that at the 3000 fill.  My question is this;  At how much pressure are the original aluminum tanks tested?  Is is safe to shoot it at 3300PSI even though the top hat valve doesn't "lock up"?
  • USA, Redding, CT

Offline Doug Wall

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »
I have a 1st gen Texan .457.  I have shot it thousands of times at 3000PSI, it's maximum fill.  The top hat valve is supposed to "lock" when filled over 3000 yielding a low power shot.  However after accidentally filling the gun to over (3300) and shooting it the gun shot ver well....in fact a bit harder that at the 3000 fill.  My question is this;  At how much pressure are the original aluminum tanks tested?  Is is safe to shoot it at 3300PSI even though the top hat valve doesn't "lock up"?
No one in their right mind would ever tell you it's OK to exceed the maximum rated fill. If something happened, it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • Hilton, NY

Offline T3PRanch

• Vendors
  • Expert
  • yes
    • T3P Ranch Airgun Solutions
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »
Minimum non destructive test pressures for DOT-3AL-3000 tanks is 5/3 of the working pressure of 3000 psi.
  • Near Post,TX, USA
Set your controls for the Heart of the Son!

Offline subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »
About important internet posts or pages that have subsequently been altered or deleted:  You may be able to view edited or deleted internet pages by means of the "wayback machine":  https://archive.org/web/

Here is how:
Open your browser history and search for terms that are likely to find the URL.  click on that URL.  If it comes up "page not found", or redirected to something generic, that is a clue it is the URL you want.  Ditto, if the page exist, but the content has been edited.

Copy that URL and paste it into the wayback machine's search box and click "browse history".  First click on the earliest date for that URL, because it is likely the most contentious.  If the page has been up for some time and has a number of edits, you will be able to step through them to see the changes over time. 

It is possible that no archive of a given page exist, but if it does, it takes very little trouble to find it.
  • USA

Offline boonez40

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2020, 10:15:03 PM »
This is what I learned from the situation in one of my Facebook groups.

It was reported that the OP of the Texan that exploded  was at fault. He mistakenly misunderstood the gas mixture recipe for the Texan.

OP used pure oxygen in his compressed air mixture and combined with a pure lube, he got a diesel and this caused his Texan to explode
Do not quote me but i do believe there were pictures of the wrecked Texan.
I will try to find the post this weekend and post a link.
  • Elkins west virginia
Airforce Texan 45 cal w/ short shroud
Samyang 909 Lighthunter 45 w/air bolts
Hatsan BT65 30 cal BWalton tuned w/carbon wrap
Hatsan AT p2 compact 25 cal
Ruger Impact 22 cal
Crossman 1377

Offline Long_Gun_Dallas

• Forever fiddling
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »
Yep, that'd do it.  I'd like to know how they managed that.  And WHY  :o  assuming there is truth
Brocock Grand Prix/Contour S6 hybrid .22
Crosman 1322 PCP 7.6" Whitefang 27 FPE
Crosman 1322 14.5" LW 15 FPE
Diana Bandit .177 50 shots @ 650fps
FX Crown .22 500mm 50 fpe
Hatsan Nova Star 14.25" LW .22
HW 50S .22 Motorhead
SPA PP800 .25 9" 30 FPE

Offline subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
If someone is injured when the engine of their vehicle dropped out, then the brand of vehicle would seem less important than the fact that the vehicle had been driven off a multi-story rooftop parking garage...

No reflection anyone here, but the initial FB report was so detailed that one would be inclined to assume all the pertinent detail had been included.  Rather than, man injured after charging PCP air rifle with a mix of gases that mistakenly included pure oxygen.

For instance, in the image below, the brand and model of PCP is almost irrelevant, compared to the pure O2 that caused the explosion:

From: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010/02/precharged-pneumatic-pcp-airgun-fears/
  • USA

Offline boonez40

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2020, 11:48:30 PM »
This is all i can find as the original post was deleted.

But it is an interesting read. Somethings seams odd and off but thats just my opinion.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/120936275305002/permalink/743933289671961/
  • Elkins west virginia
Airforce Texan 45 cal w/ short shroud
Samyang 909 Lighthunter 45 w/air bolts
Hatsan BT65 30 cal BWalton tuned w/carbon wrap
Hatsan AT p2 compact 25 cal
Ruger Impact 22 cal
Crossman 1377