Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Texan explosion.  (Read 5762 times))

Offline TPL

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Marksman
Re: Texan explosion.
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
I agree with Bob on this. There is no competition between Marko or me with AAO, how could there be? We are not making any valves for others and certainly not selling them. What comes to Doug, he is also warning you about dangerous stuff but unfortunately for nothing.

I think someone must have mentioned super valve? Could you please dismount it and measure thinnest point of wall? Unpressurize the gun firt, of course.

Please also notice all possible sharp edges and places of O-rings. Are threads pressurized or not?

I have got some dimensions already but best I don't tell anything as it is only second hand information. Anyway it makes me worried. So please someone measure it.

It is not just that simple we take the wall thickness and make some calculation if any. AF construction makes bottle as stock and it takes all the recoil.  It should also be able to stand all the forces that can come from accidental shocks, like dropping or falling. It is not enough just to barely stand the pressure.

By this I am not pointing on AAO but considering what I have found out, there might be safety concern.

Take it seriously, keep safe. There is nothing more worthless than die or injure seriously in hobby that should be fun.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:40:19 PM by TPL »
  • Tampere

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2020, 01:39:17 PM »
Any further personal attacks in this thread will cause it to be locked and reviewed. Any attempts to intentionally get it locked may be met with suspensions or bans.
It's a sad day when we have a report of a fellow airgunner being seriously injured and someone in the know can't, or won't share any information on his/her status. Instead we get this mud slinging.

At this point, the only reason it has yet to be locked is the hopes that someone may give some facts....
1) How is the individual.
2) What happened? (actual facts)
3) Is this even a true story or something made up with motives in mind?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:42:43 PM by avator »
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline MJP

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Expert
  • I'll make it real. For me.
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
After question openly my motives or agenda or honesty I will refrain to post any more on this thread.
Any further information or conclusions to the mater will be given to the gta staff and they can consider if it is trustworthy to post it further.

Marko

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:20:35 PM by MJP »
  • Finland
Impossible just takes a little bit longer to achieve.
If an engineer is not presented with a suitable problem, they will create their own!

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
3) A conspiracy theory?.... Seriously?....  ::)  :o  >:(

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
3) A conspiracy theory?.... Seriously?....  ::)  :o  >:(

Bob
I certainly hope not.

Offline TPL

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Marksman
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
I'm out too.
  • Tampere

Offline Chad@ Lethal Air

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »
UPDATE ON SUPPOSED INCIDENT

Hi guys my original post of information about the “explosion” came directly from the person who made the original post in my airgun group on Facebook since that time I have reached out in private messaging to the person who made the post who states he is good friends with the person that the “incident “ happened to . At first he told me of physical damages that had occurred , loss of an ear and an eye ,severe concussion and 4 fractures in one arm. I expressed concern for the “person” and get well wishes ... sorry I didn’t express my concern in my first post on this thread to you guys, obviously nobody wants to see anybody get hurt in our industry for any reason......... now onto the development of this story as it has progressed, the friend of the person who had the “accident with oxygen “ are both within a 3 hour drive from me here in Virginia. I did google searches for news  reports , police reports  etc nothing as of yet . Original poster stated he went over to the house with the guys mother to check the bottles at his home from the welding shop where they found this mistaken bottle of oxygen I asked for pictures of gun and bottle of oxygen he stated the cops confiscated the gun and he did not think to take pics of the oxygen tank. I have since then requested the name of the welding shop , name of the hospital the injured fella is in and contact info of the mother , I also told him that Jeremy at AAO and myself would like to start a go fund me to help him with medical expenses. Now I  cannot get any more information from the original poster other than excuses, he just ignores my questions about hospital and welding shop names and now tells me he does not need a go fund me started because he already knows that his insurance is covering 100% of the medical expenses because he owns 3 companies and also works for the government and is well off and does not need our help for his medical bills ...... possible fake news ? Conspiracy theory ? Why I can’t get any hard proof evidence of this actually happening is beyond me , no hospital name no welding shop name , the injured fella name was supposedly James Maddox that name or anything similar has not purchased any upgrade kits from neither jeremy or I as we have checked all of our orders. According to the original poster he bought the gun used from someone “out west” and he is unable to supply that name either. Why he will not provide any basic info is beyond me , the original poster has also made wild claims of modified and or custom valves he has made for other guns like 650fps out of his modded Umarex airsaber snd almost 1,500 FPS out of his custom Umarex gauntlet but never shows any data from a chrony or video evidence of any of that either and guys in my Facebook group have asked repeatedly for evidence of these performance claims. He always has an excuse why he doesn’t. Why he would make this incident up is beyond me your guess is as good as mine but until I get some basic answers or names of welding shop/ hospital etc I will be Leary of any more information he tells me. Like I said if it’s true I wish nothing but the best for the victim and his family and Jeremy and I are willing to do something to help this fella out but obviously we can’t do that without getting any information other than the “accident” occurring
  • mount jackson virginia

Offline mr007s

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »
Thank  you Chad.
  • Hickory, North Carolina
mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Offline Chad@ Lethal Air

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
No Texan valve from us or Jeremy at AAO has  BLOWN UP ! The person Picked up a bottle that was supposed to be full of helium from his local welding shop and they mistakenly gave him a bottle of oxygen instead.  Some people need to wait to hear the facts before they start blaming products or people in the industry for what has happened

i didn't read anything in the op that laid the blame on anything or anyone.
Agreed.... matter of fact, the only blame I've read here was placed directly on the weld shop which has been reported to be impossible. That's why I say.... I hope that we get ALL the FACTS.
Either way... thoughts and prayers go out to the injured and his family.

100% agree too.  I also find it disturbing that the vendor posted that and didn't even once mention will wishes for the injured.  They won't be getting my business, that's for darn sure.

Sorry bud I didn’t express my concern to you guys in my original post as I had already expressed my condolences to the victims friend that made the original post on my Facebook group and also was trying to reach out to the victims mother / family to help by trying to start a go fund me for him just an fyi since you stated you’d never purchase anything from us since we are heartless
  • mount jackson virginia

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:03 PM »
Regardless of the turnout, I think we should all look at this as a warning. High pressure, in any form, is something to be taken very seriously.
Crazy as it may be to say... I hope this whole thing is BS. And if not, I think I can speak for all of us here at the GTA in saying.. Thoughts and prayers are with the victim and his family.
And if it is BS... shame on the instigators..... karma is a SOB.

Look, another thread was recently started about ways to get more kids involved in the GTA and airgunning.
We ALL need to be responsible and considerate in our postings. Vulnerable eyes may be are watching.

Offline Long_Gun_Dallas

• Forever fiddling
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
Sounds like a hibitual liar.  Some people just need the spotlight.  🤷‍♂️  I can't claim to understand.

But if the claims were true, it would be prudent to let the community know.

But by all counts, it seem, increasingly so, to be un-true. 
Brocock Grand Prix/Contour S6 hybrid .22
Crosman 1322 PCP 7.6" Whitefang 27 FPE
Crosman 1322 14.5" LW 15 FPE
Diana Bandit .177 50 shots @ 650fps
FX Crown .22 500mm 50 fpe
Hatsan Nova Star 14.25" LW .22
HW 50S .22 Motorhead
SPA PP800 .25 9" 30 FPE

Offline mr007s

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
There has been a term lately that we have probably heard over and over.
 That term is "rush to judgement"
I see that has happened in this thread also
 Please, just stop it.
  • Hickory, North Carolina
mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Offline mackeral5

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
Or, the victim has lawyered up, a logical next step in either of the scenarios mentioned here......
  • Lake Harding AL

Offline Chris USA

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the update.
  • Central Ohio
198/200, Daystate Red Wolf HP/FAC in .25, 8-34x56 Athlon Argos { for sale, in person only }
Maximus "hunter" in .22, 4-12x44 UTG
Barra 1866
Avanti 499
75th anniversary Red Ryder

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the update, Chad.... keep us informed, and please share any photos of damage to the gun, and/or the filling equipment used.... if and when you get them....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 06:07:14 AM »
Been following this closely and had that feeling something odd was afoot. Thanks Chad
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19

Offline Tiroflojo

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2020, 04:48:18 AM »
Greetings.
   There have already been two attempts in GTA to harm this man who makes custom valves for Texan with "bulo". The bulo is very damaging to reputation, since it takes effect from the moment it starts to roll, and after it is discovered lie the damage has already been done.
    It is necessary to ask who benefits and why this "bulo". By the way: in my language the intentional creation and propagation is called "bulo" (I don't know the equivalent in English).
    From my point of view: an explosion from a Texan pistol can be nothing more than an explosion of its air reservoir, a defect in its valve would cause failure of opening or power of the pistol or rupture and escape of air in the valve, but not an air reservoir explosion.
    An air cylinder explosion can be caused by an improper gas mixture inside the cylinder, a petroleum-derived oil mixture mixed with the air under high pressure, a pressure surge in the cylinder, an exposure of the cylinder to high and abnormal temperatures (a vehicle in the sun) ... but very hardly to a failure of its valve.
    But of course it's my "non-expert" opinion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:18:46 AM by Tiroflojo »
  • España, Spain

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2020, 09:44:13 AM »
First of all....
What a member or members post on the GTA forum is NOT a representation of the GTA as a unit.
Secondly... if I'm not mistaken...
What little information that was shared here suggested that the damage to the gun was primarily in the breech area of the gun.
Many of us have asked for definitive evidence concerning this incident. Without official documents and/or pictures, all comments and opinions are based on pure speculation.
I would suggest that we all back off until either/or are provided.
Once again, thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and family members if they exist.

Offline anti-squirrel

• Post enough silly stuff here and you too can become a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Wadcutter fan
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
Speaking as a Virginian with ties to some local news sources... No sign of this accident happening in the actual news.  I don't consider Facebook to be news.  I also question a claim about any welding shop mixing up Oxygen and Helium.  A weld shop is going to take HP welding gases very seriously, and they simply aren't gonna mix 2 different bottles with 2 different sets of fittings with totally different handling protocols. 

I worked in a hydraulic and HPA shop and have partaken of DT (destructive testing ) on HP bottles.  The bunker at Mare Island was where I saw this go down. A couple-feet thick of prestressed pre-tensions super-reinforced concrete and the bottles blowing up would still shake the place.  double-hearing protection require.  You do NOT wanna be on the receiving end of HPA shrapnel.
  • Quinton Virginia
Slingshottist and antique tool junkie
Leshiy, Lelya, and a lovable 2400KT

Happiness is when your companion also loves shooting airguns!

Offline Steveoh

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
I have scoured the Facebook posts on all of Lethal Air’s pages and on the Facebook account that reported the “incident “.  Those pages have apparently been sanitized.

CYA.

It happened or it didn’t happen. And so it goes.

Still, I look at my big tanks with one eye closed and somewhat of a bit of paranoia.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:54:59 PM by Steveoh »
  • Benicia, CA
AirGun Safety
Sumatra Carbine .25
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Guild
Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw Pistol
Quackenbush .58 LA Outlaw
Citrus .257
Airforce Texan .257
Bunch of Crosman Pistols