Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Texan explosion.  (Read 5785 times))

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
Re: Texan explosion.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
It is not possible to mix bottles unintentionally. Thread is totally of different size. It is also impossible in gas company cause they cannot fix the wrong bottle to oxygen filling line

I would agree with this statement, and it should be kept foremost in the thoughts of everyone following, and certainly those involved with and investigating, what happened....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Online Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
No Texan valve from us or Jeremy at AAO has  BLOWN UP ! The person Picked up a bottle that was supposed to be full of helium from his local welding shop and they mistakenly gave him a bottle of oxygen instead.  Some people need to wait to hear the facts before they start blaming products or people in the industry for what has happened

So, reading comments from experts this isn't possible,

.......so why the dissinformation ?
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix REX Carbine         .357  180 FPE  #6.1
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine    .357  150 FPE  #6.5
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine II  .357  150 FPE  #5.1
Evanix RainStorm  II           .30  100 FPE  #9.5
Evanix RainStorm  II          .30   85  FPE  #9.3
Evanix Storm Bushgun      .30   70  FPE  #7.0
Evanix MAX-ML               .25   65  FPE  #10.6
Evanix RainStorm II          .25   55  FPE  #9.0
Evanix Storm II Model 70     .25   28  FPE  #9.9

Offline wolverine

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »
No Texan valve from us or Jeremy at AAO has  BLOWN UP ! The person Picked up a bottle that was supposed to be full of helium from his local welding shop and they mistakenly gave him a bottle of oxygen instead.  Some people need to wait to hear the facts before they start blaming products or people in the industry for what has happened

i didn't read anything in the op that laid the blame on anything or anyone. 
  • U.S.A.  North Carolina,  Oriental
Crosman 2240
Crosman 2260 (lefthanded)-Mountain Air tuned / UTG 4x32 AO
.22 Benjamin NP2 / Centerpoint 3-9x40 AO
.22 Brocock Contour S6 / Discovery VT-2 8x44 SF
.177 Custom Shop 2400KT "Avian Assassin" / BSA Red Dot
.177 HW30s Deluxe / Motorhead tuned / Hammers 3-9x32 AO
.22 Daystate Huntsman Regal XL  (lefthanded) / Barra FT 3-15x50 SF
.177 HW100 BP-K (lefthanded) / Arken SH4 4-14x44 FFP
.177 Benjamin 397 / Williams peep sight
Daisy Red Ryder (who doesn't own one?)

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »

Agreed.... matter of fact, the only blame I've read here was placed directly on the weld shop which has been reported to be impossible. That's why I say.... I hope that we get ALL the FACTS.
Either way... thoughts and prayers go out to the injured and his family.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
It would definitely be a very valuable lesson for anyone into HPA guns to know. I'm sure the facts will be presented once everything is sorted out. Once again prayers to the shooter and their loved ones.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Benjamin Armada Bottle Carbine 30 cal UTG 10x44, Benjamin Armada 25 cal Kuiu Vias vinyl wrap 20'' MMHF barrel UTG 4x16x44, Benjamin Marauder 22 cal x2 1-24'' MMHF barrel 500cc bottle gun Bushnell Nitro 2.5x10x44 FFP, 1-20''LW barrel Bushnell 4x12x40 Engage, Benjamin Marauder 17 cal 20''LW barrel Bushnell Engage 4x12x40, Benjamin Fortitude 22 cal 20'' LW barrel Boyds at one thumbhole stock Discovery 3x12x44 FFP, Beeman Quiet TEK 22 & 177 cal Beeman Silver Kodiak x2 22 cal & 177cal Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »

Agreed.... matter of fact, the only blame I've read here was placed directly on the weld shop which has been reported to be impossible. That's why I say.... I hope that we get ALL the FACTS.
Either way... thoughts and prayers go out to the injured and his family.

100% agree too.  I also find it disturbing that the vendor posted that and didn't even once mention will wishes for the injured.  They won't be getting my business, that's for darn sure.
  • Dunkirk, MD
PCPs:
Air Arms T200 Sporter .177
Air Force Texan .457 w/ RL Shroud
Air Force Texan SS CF-Series .457
Ataman M2R Tact Carbine Type 4 .25 w/ Donny FL Ronin
Ataman M2R Limited Edition Jatoba Stock .30 w/ Donny FL Ronin
Brocock Bantam 400 .25 w/ Donny FL Tatsu
Hatsan Flashpup QE .22
LCS Air Arms SK-19 .22

Springers:
Air Arms TX200 MKIII Walnut Stock .22
Beeman RS2 Dual Caliber .177/.22
Ruger Air Hawk .22
Umarex Octane .22

PCP Equipment:
Air Venturi 4500PSI 110V Compressor
Air Venturi 66CF Tank
Benjamin Traveler v1 Compressor
El-Cheapo Fleabay Hand Pump
Hill MK4 Hand Pump

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »
It is not possible to mix bottles unintentionally. Thread is totally of different size. It is also impossible in gas company cause they cannot fix the wrong bottle to oxygen filling line.

Maybe it wasn't a "Welding" shop, maybe it was a "Dive" shop? Maybe he wasn't trying to get Helium, maybe just compressed air? Guessing you've never heard of Nitrox? or any of the other gas "Mixes" for diving? Nitrox has double the O2 content as Air.

So, reading comments from experts this isn't possible,

.......so why the dissinformation ?

Maybe it's that some of the "Experts" are actually providing some of the dis-information since it appears some might not know as much as they think
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline MJP

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Expert
  • I'll make it real. For me.
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »
I am no expert but I know for a fact that you cant connect flammable gas reg to inert gas line or oxygen to air or nitrogen line. Not without jerry rigging the connection one way or the other so not possible by accident.
How do I know this, well I have manufactured the fitting for Linden group / AGA some years back.

We also made hydrogen containers for shipping hydrogen. And I have pretty good idea what fits where.

So do enlighten us what do you thing is the dis-information you accuse some of us providing?

Marko
  • Finland
Impossible just takes a little bit longer to achieve.
If an engineer is not presented with a suitable problem, they will create their own!

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
I am no expert but I know for a fact that you cant connect flammable gas reg to inert gas line or oxygen to air or nitrogen line. Not without jerry rigging the connection one way or the other so not possible by accident.
How do I know this, well I have manufactured the fitting for Linden group / AGA some years back.

We also made hydrogen containers for shipping hydrogen. And I have pretty good idea what fits where.

So do enlighten us what do you thing is the dis-information you accuse some of us providing?

Marko

So are you an "Expert" or not? In first sentence you say NO, but then you want me to enlighten us as to the dis-information some of "us" are providing, indicating you are including yourself among the experts. Remember that an OB/GYN is generally considered an "Expert" but I would not necessarily want one doing open heart surgery on me.

Please answer this - How do dive shops get Trimix (which contains Helium) or Nitrox (with contains a higher content of O@) into a Din 300 equipped tank? Once you answer this you will realize that it IS possible to put Helium or Oxygen into different or similar tanks.

How about we just wait till all of the "facts" come out before we offer our own "expert" opinions as to what might have happened. Wouldn't that be best for those "involved"?
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline TPL

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
Maybe it wasn't a "Welding" shop, maybe it was a "Dive" shop? Maybe he wasn't trying to get Helium, maybe just compressed air? Guessing you've never heard of Nitrox? or any of the other gas "Mixes" for diving? Nitrox has double the O2 content as Air.
Quess what? I used to be a diver on yonger age. Nitrox can contain almost any amount of oxygen up to somtehing like 60%. Maybe it was Heliox? Or maybe poor guy was visiting NASA instead of dive shop and got 600 bars pure oxygen? Maybe.

Anyway it is not that plausible because if you dive with gas mix you don't know exactly, it could be even more fatal than gun explosion. No dive shop should ever fill the tank that is not oxygen cleaned with enriched mix.

If you have some additional information about this particular case, please do inform us.
  • Tampere

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »
Quess what? I used to be a diver on yonger age. Nitrox can contain almost any amount of oxygen up to somtehing like 60%. Maybe it was Heliox? Or maybe poor guy was visiting NASA instead of dive shop and got 600 bars pure oxygen? Maybe.

Anyway it is not that plausible because if you dive with gas mix you don't know exactly, it could be even more fatal than gun explosion. No dive shop should ever fill the tank that is not oxygen cleaned with enriched mix.

If you have some additional information about this particular case, please do inform us.

Should and could are different things. If I take my Nitrox labeled tank and have it filled at a shop that has no mixes will they fill it with compressed air? Sure they will. Then I take it back to the other shop with mixes, will they fill it with Nitrox? Sure they will, as long as I tell them it's still clean, right?

BTW-I have no additional info, just trying to "correct" some of the dis-information like stated. Apparently some don't like being told they are wrong, so I'll stop
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline MJP

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Expert
  • I'll make it real. For me.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »
Cant read or don't understand what was written?
I was talking about accidentally filling a wrong bottle with oxygen, and tank threads. Sure you can get different gas mixes in to any bottle but not by accident. It is on purpose from someones demand, not by accident.

But as you said some of us and as us I mean this forum members, not some as you call experts.

Starting to feel it was a bad idea to inform anyone of anything, starting to feel all the real experts have left this forum for a reason.

Marko
  • Finland
Impossible just takes a little bit longer to achieve.
If an engineer is not presented with a suitable problem, they will create their own!

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
Ok, let's all back it down a notch or two. Virtually everything in the previous postings are based on the word of the poster.
Sadly, even the original report is even based on a social media posting. I don't find any of if worth one GTA member disrespecting another.
We've experienced this here before and lost some great members over it.
How about we just wait and see if we get some real provable facts?

Offline squirrel_hunter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »
Cant read or don't understand what was written?
I was talking about accidentally filling a wrong bottle with oxygen, and tank threads. Sure you can get different gas mixes in to any bottle but not by accident. It is on purpose from someones demand, not by accident.

But as you said some of us and as us I mean this forum members, not some as you call experts.

Starting to feel it was a bad idea to inform anyone of anything, starting to feel all the real experts have left this forum for a reason.

Marko
good call marko
  • galion ohio

Offline Lt. Dan

• I'm just a sinner saved by grace.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Gaither Vocal Band - Sinner Saved by Grace
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
I would like to know how this happened also but I more concerned about the shooter. Has anyone heard an update on his condition?

Remember,  he's one of us. By us, I'm referring to being an airgun enthusiast.
I'm praying for him and his family.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:25:13 AM by Lt. Dan »
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County

Offline TPL

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Marksman
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
About social media reliability, i quess this is one of them...
  • Tampere

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »
Timo.... I guess it is what we, the members, make it.

Offline TPL

• Member 3000+Fpe Club
  • Marksman
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Should and could are different things. If I take my Nitrox labeled tank and have it filled at a shop that has no mixes will they fill it with compressed air? Sure they will. Then I take it back to the other shop with mixes, will they fill it with Nitrox? Sure they will, as long as I tell them it's still clean, right?

Is this only imaginary option? I am little bit worried now, are you relly doing this? Cause by doing this you risk first fillers life before your own.
  • Tampere

Offline Chickenthief

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »
Deleted
  • Denmark, Copenhagen

Offline cootertwo

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes