Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Anyone fly RC aircraft? What do you think of the new drone registration?  (Read 6984 times))

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Anyone fly RC aircraft? What do you think of the new drone registration?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 10:44:23 PM »
Sadly, so long as folks can they will ... rob, steal, make poor judgement calls, peep on others on and on ... it is the human condition sadly.

Register these drones ... Yup, along with being able to shoot them down when violating property or controlled air space tracking down the registered owner and prosecuting them.

+1 on this topic as I see it if someone chooses to fly one over my property then it will be on the ground on MY property and the owner can come talk to me to get it back.
  • Oxford, Alabama
Benjamin Marauder 177 in Boyds blaster stock 
Benjamin Marauder25 Wicked Air rifles bottled
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
FWB 300s Match L 177 Tuned
FWB 300s Match Junior 177 Tuned
Diana 48 177 Vortek Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22
Xisisco 60C PCP 177 tuned LW barrel
Benjamin Titan NP 22 Tuned GRT trigger
Crosman Titan GP 22 Tuned GRT trigger
Crosman Venom 177 Tuned GRT trigger
Taipan Mutant Standard 22, BSA FFP 4x14x44 scope
TX200 , TL 22mm kit 177
B-40, TL 22mm kit 177
B50 in 51 stock Tuned .177
CH2009 challenger 177
1720T carbine regulated 177
Prod carbine with AR butt stock 22
CZ200 regulated 177
C9 silver streak 20 rocker safety
Crosman 1400 X 2 177 and 22
B28 Mike Melick tuned 25
Hatsan flash 25
Daisy 853 X 5 177
B3-2 177
Benji Maximus 177 Mrod trigger
QB 78/79 177 and 22 HPA bottled
HW Blue Laminate 97 .22cal tuned
1966 Diana model 60 Tyro resealed and tuned

Bikes, Guns and Family is all I need for a good day

Offline Pellet Slinger

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 11:39:49 PM »
As technology evolves and folks find them self able to trespass into others property or space ...  there has to be consequences to those who choose to violate privacy laws already in place.
Then there is the MORAL obligation we in this modern society seem to be losing a grasp with that there are no borders, all freedoms are to be taken as rights etc etc .....

Sadly, so long as folks can they will ... rob, steal, make poor judgement calls, peep on others on and on ... it is the human condition sadly.

Register these drones ... Yup, along with being able to shoot them down when violating property or controlled air space tracking down the registered owner and prosecuting them.

Hard line, but only way we protect our self's on so many fronts  :P :P :P

This will soon include your RC boat. :o

I'm president of an RC club. We already pay $75 to the AMA  + club membership fees. All of our planes have had phone # and owner info on them for years. This is a B.S. law that will do nothing. Same as taking our gun's away it will not stop someone bound and determined on causing harm by whatever means.  It won't be long and all pellet guns / BB gun's will need registration because of high powered .50 cal on the market now.
Glen
  • Salem, Oregon
Crosman 1701P  .177 Silhouette PCP Pistol
AA Pro Sport .22 W/ Hawke 30 Sidewinder 4.5-14 x42 Motorhead tuned/W Vortek PG2 s HO
RWS .22 34 W/ Vortek PG2 kit UTG 3-12 X44
Sheridan .20 Blue streak
S&W M78G .22 C02 Pistol

GungaDin

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
It's $5 bucks now and fairly simple, but does anyone really believe it will stay that way? New regulation almost always starts out cheap and reasonable, then the price goes up and the regulations get tightened, especially when people still commit the same screwups(and they will) that were the excuse to implement them in the first place.
I fly very small quads and heli's, in fact one of them is the current worlds smallest quadcopter, the Drone D1(lol marketing, it's by no reasonable definition a drone). For amusement you can see me flying it here.

None of them are fpv, and I think most if not all would lose signal and drop like a stone past 100 feet.
My biggest quad is a Daming 007 spy. It's bigger than my nano and microquads but is still very small. I have no idea how much it weighs and no interest at all in putting it on a scale just so I can hand the feds money.
There are ALWAYS screw ups, and the government and nanny-staters use them as an excuse to punish everyone else.
Does ANYONE here really think some idiot who would fly his drone into a 747 is going to register it because the government tells him to?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:30:26 AM by GungaDin »

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

+1 on this topic as I see it if someone chooses to fly one over my property then it will be on the ground on MY property and the owner can come talk to me to get it back.

You could go to jail for that. You do not own the airspace over your home, over 500ft. Same reason you can't shoot down airliners that pass over your back yard. Trust me someone will come to collect it and he will bring the police with him.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
I won't be registering anytime soon. The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) has a pending lawsuit over the FAA's 'Interpretive Rule' regarding Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, wherein the FAA declared that RC models were in fact aircraft just like any other and thus open to regulation just like any other aircraft. That is in direct opposition to the language and intent of Section 336, which forbids the FAA from promulgating any rule or regulation regarding model aircraft. This new registration rule should never have been created until the challenge to their 'Interpretive Rule' is settled. Not to mention that implementing the registration rule will require millions of dollars which are not in the FAA budget, nor do they have authority to redirect or requisition any additional funds for such a program.

Just go the email on this....Go get em!
  • Texas, San antonio
Air Arms FAC Xtra S510 .22, Airforce Edge
Alfa Proj C02, Hammerli 850,Gamo Compact, Daisy 747,Smith and Wesson 79G, Discovery, Fusion, Walther Lever Action and a bunch of BB pistols.

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »

First off, I would also be tempted to shoot down someone peeping on my property. But as mentioned that would be illegal. Here in Texas, they passed a law a year or so ago making "drones" carrying recording camera's illegal unless on private property. When it first passed, me and some buddies we at a park flying around and the police showed up to check that we didn't have camera's on board. Any camera. They didn't even realize that an FPV camera that is not recording doesn't violate that law. They just assumed any camera.

As far as shooting down a drone with a pellet gun. It would be luck if you actually could do it. Believe me and a few buddies tried it. Even hovering, the light wind bounce it around enough to make it nearly impossible. Got a couple hits but nothing to take it down. You would need a shotgun. 
  • Texas, San antonio
Air Arms FAC Xtra S510 .22, Airforce Edge
Alfa Proj C02, Hammerli 850,Gamo Compact, Daisy 747,Smith and Wesson 79G, Discovery, Fusion, Walther Lever Action and a bunch of BB pistols.

Offline Alan

• Plinker
  • Set the example; Don't be one!
    • A site for mobile amateur radio operators
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
It is called Coercive Utopianism. The phrase was coined by Dr. H. Peter Metzler, PHd. It simply means that a law or rule is passed with a specific purpose in mind, but underneath the reason is much more nefarious.
  • Roswell, New Mexico

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
An appeal to authority and a conspiracy theory at the same time, neat.

• West Seneca, NY

Offline Bubba Zanetti

• A.K.A. "The Yank"
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
An appeal to authority and a conspiracy theory at the same time, neat.

"Contradiction" as performance art :D

BZ
  • Delaware
"Terminate Starlings...with extreme prejudice".

Air Arms S500 HFT
BAM-50 .177 (Lemmy, from Motorhead)
1970 Racine Sheridan .20 cal Mac1 Steroid
Drozd Bumblebee on HPA
Crosman 150 X 2
Crosman 113
Crosman 111
Umarex M712
Beeman P3

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
StevenG
First off a pellet gun is not capable of shooting down any plane flying over head much less even hitting it so no worries there and second if I did shoot down a drone it would be well under 500ft so it would be my air space. I am well aware of it being illegal to shoot at or target with a laser any plane or helicopter flying over your property and would never even think of doing so but yet they have no rules that state I have a right to my privacy within my property line within reason so as to keep the stupid people from flying said drove over my property.

Oh yes I forgot we live in a GOVT spy country now so in all actuality it is and has been happening for well over 20 years now anyway with satellites orbiting overhead. Plus without any evidence there is no crime and that has been proven many times over so by the time any authorities did show up there would be no drone left to collect.

Tom
I had not thought about the down draft off the rotors from the drone which indeed would make it difficult to hit it unless you are using a large caliber gun. A shotgun would have much less chance of taking it down unless it is under 50 yards or so and using 00 buckshot so it would be a challenge to just get it out of the air at all. I would shoot at the rotors themselves since without the blade spinning it will come down and it just needs to clip one to throw it so far out of balance it could not be controlled anymore.

Better yet just design a EMP laser type weapon that would fry the electronics inside the drone and problem solved.

We just need to develop a Drone Assault Gun that would do the same thing to the drones that the Bugasalt gun does to flies since that it was I see a drone as is just another pest.

I think I will make me a Net launching gun that uses one of my old cast nets from my years in Florida out of PVC pipe and compressed air since that would drop one well under the 500ft airspace rules and take care of the whole issue.

Mike 
  • Oxford, Alabama
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22
TX200 , TL 22mm kit 177
B-40, TL 22mm kit 177
CH2009 challenger 177
CZ200 regulated 177
B28 Mike Melick tuned 25
Hatsan flash 25
Daisy 853 X 5 177
B3-2 177

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »
Were just tossing out PERSONAL FEELINGS here as asked by OP.
It is indeed ILLEGAL to shoot down a drone ( For now anyways )
Privacy infringement and the  slippery slope defending it is nothing new !! ... what new is this current vehicle used in doing so   :o :o :o
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »
Were just tossing out PERSONAL FEELINGS here as asked by OP.
It is indeed ILLEGAL to shoot down a drone ( For now anyways )
Privacy infringement and the  slippery slope defending it is nothing new !! ... what new is this current vehicle used in doing so   :o :o :o

Full agreement with you on all that as its just one more means to create new rules and public issue of unrest and discord.
  • Oxford, Alabama
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22
TX200 , TL 22mm kit 177
B-40, TL 22mm kit 177
CH2009 challenger 177
CZ200 regulated 177
B28 Mike Melick tuned 25
Hatsan flash 25
Daisy 853 X 5 177
B3-2 177

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
StevenG
First off a pellet gun is not capable of shooting down any plane flying over head much less even hitting it so no worries there and second if I did shoot down a drone it would be well under 500ft so it would be my air space. I am well aware of it being illegal to shoot at or target with a laser any plane or helicopter flying over your property and would never even think of doing so but yet they have no rules that state I have a right to my privacy within my property line within reason so as to keep the stupid people from flying said drove over my property.

Oh yes I forgot we live in a GOVT spy country now so in all actuality it is and has been happening for well over 20 years now anyway with satellites orbiting overhead. Plus without any evidence there is no crime and that has been proven many times over so by the time any authorities did show up there would be no drone left to collect.

If you are observable from above, you have no expectation of privacy legally speaking. This is well established in law.

If you were actually going to do it, making these claims on the internet is very unwise. Also GPS technology is very cheap, so is a transmitter to have the drone tell its owner its location.

Shooting at such a craft would just invite more regulation on firearms and pellet guns. You would be no better than those that inspired these new rules.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
StevenG

If you are observable from above, you have no expectation of privacy legally speaking. This is well established in law.

If you were actually going to do it, making these claims on the internet is very unwise. Also GPS technology is very cheap, so is a transmitter to have the drone tell its owner its location.

Shooting at such a craft would just invite more regulation on firearms and pellet guns. You would be no better than those that inspired these new rules.

We have had no privacy for years now so that is of no concern and all our text, emails, phone conversation have been being recorded for years as well so there is nothing you do that is not monitored in some way, shape or form.

Big brother is always watching and always will as we the PEOPLE have allowed it to come about with our decisions to not stand up and take a stand against the corruption in DC that is running rampant everyday.

So I guess its ok for someone to fly overhead to spy on me but I have no rights to prevent that from occurring as I agree me downing a drone makes me no better than the people flying the drones or making rules that cannot be enforced. We have to take a stand at some point in time or we are nothing more than cattle being led to elimination and I for one will not be regulated onto submission by anyone or any GOVT.

Look at the law passed in Connecticut banning handguns and requiring them to be turned in that has failed miserably as there is not enough manpower to enforce such ludicrous and frivolous laws. heck the feds cannot even agree on a budget to keep the doors open till the new year and I need to worry about some idiot flying his new Christmas toy over my house without my permission. Not in this lifetime will that ever happen.
  • Oxford, Alabama
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22
TX200 , TL 22mm kit 177
B-40, TL 22mm kit 177
CH2009 challenger 177
CZ200 regulated 177
B28 Mike Melick tuned 25
Hatsan flash 25
Daisy 853 X 5 177
B3-2 177

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
StevenG

We have had no privacy for years now so that is of no concern and all our text, emails, phone conversation have been being recorded for years as well so there is nothing you do that is not monitored in some way, shape or form.

Big brother is always watching and always will as we the PEOPLE have allowed it to come about with our decisions to not stand up and take a stand against the corruption in DC that is running rampant everyday.

So I guess its ok for someone to fly overhead to spy on me but I have no rights to prevent that from occurring as I agree me downing a drone makes me no better than the people flying the drones or making rules that cannot be enforced. We have to take a stand at some point in time or we are nothing more than cattle being led to elimination and I for one will not be regulated onto submission by anyone or any GOVT.

Look at the law passed in Connecticut banning handguns and requiring them to be turned in that has failed miserably as there is not enough manpower to enforce such ludicrous and frivolous laws. heck the feds cannot even agree on a budget to keep the doors open till the new year and I need to worry about some idiot flying his new Christmas toy over my house without my permission. Not in this lifetime will that ever happen.

I made no claims of wrong or right. I stated legal facts. That I know the facts does not mean I agree with them.

Stand at the voting box and call your congressman. What you describe will only lead to more bans and regulations. Let's not make our situation worse.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »
StevenG

I made no claims of wrong or right. I stated legal facts. That I know the facts does not mean I agree with them.

Stand at the voting box and call your congressman. What you describe will only lead to more bans and regulations. Let's not make our situation worse.

Agreed with that and not implying you were trying to make claims of right or wrong,

You can bet I am/have called my legislators regularly for what good it does as they only serve themselves anymore but I am like a pit bull and will not let go even if you beat me to death.

I have lived long enough to see this country in much better times and without all the chaos and stupidity we have now. I am just at that point that if we have a democrat elected back into the Whitehouse I will be moving to another country as we will be doomed to the same fate as the penny you place in the big funnel in malls that spirals into oblivion never to be seen again.
  • Oxford, Alabama
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22
TX200 , TL 22mm kit 177
B-40, TL 22mm kit 177
CH2009 challenger 177
CZ200 regulated 177
B28 Mike Melick tuned 25
Hatsan flash 25
Daisy 853 X 5 177
B3-2 177

Offline Booger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Deceased
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
Politics will get this thread locked.
  • Rice, Texas
.177 Puffers
Daystate MK4
MROD Rocker tuned
Varmint F/S
.22 Puffers
Daystate Air Wolf MTC F/S $1865 + shipping & Ins
Jumpers:
.22 Diana K98
.22 Hatsan 95
.177 NP2 Upgrade Trigger F/S $175 Shipped

Heirloom:
.177 Pro Sport 12 FPE - Rowan Eng. set back trigger, alum trigger guard, adj butt pad, tuned with Maccari parts, refinished stock that is amazing.
Sun Optics 4-14X44  FFP really nice scope.

Offline Rocker1

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 06:32:03 PM »
 Gentlemen be very careful with this subject and please remember the rules. David
  • Eustis Florida
1ST CAV,1971 VIETNAM 11 BUSHBABY LRRP
I MISS MY FRIEND GENE
OLD GUYS PLAYING WITH BB GUNS NEVER GROW UP
lots parts and pieces for something
disco 22 with the works
FX CROWN 22 AND 30 , 25 caliber
Rws 34 22
bsa Lonestar 25
Benji 392
22 liberty
Old Gamo extreme 22
Dar 25
Liberty 22
hotrod prod
Rocker1 tuning and custom works
davidjfurr@outlook.com

Offline Ginuwine

• Plinker
  • Sure
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
FAA states that all RC that fly and weigh over .5 pounds are AIRCRAFT, anyone whom shots at an aircraft or hits an aircraft and caught will be charged with FELONY charges, that is just the law as it stands now.

People often do stupid things with drones and airguns.  For years people have been using airguns, air soft guns, pellet guns in illegal activities / crimes:  shooting people, shooting passing cars, shooting personal property.  So our hobby is also in jeopardy.  Watch the news, pellet guns and rifles have advance so much in the last 2-3 years as far as accuracy and FPE, its just a matter of time before we too will need licenses as well to even own one.

Self monitoring and self control would be the key in an ideal place, but the world we living in, some people just do what they want because they feel like it, think its right, or don't care.
  • SoCal
.177 RWS 34P Pro Compact 3x9 .
.22 Air Arms S510 - Leapers UTG 4x16.
.22 Kalibr Cricket std - Hawk Varmint 3x14.
.25 Vulcan Tactic - MTC Optisan Viper 6x24.
.25 FX Impact - SWFA 16x42.

Offline buldawg76

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
Sorry to get off topic and where we need not go just get frustrated much too easy these day with our ever changing country.
  • Oxford, Alabama
Hatsan 22 AT 44S10 long
FWB 124 177 Tuned
Xisisco 60C PCP Tuned 22