Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Anyone fly RC aircraft? What do you think of the new drone registration?  (Read 6983 times))

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
Most of you may have seen the new FAA drone registration. What most don't know is all RC aircraft have to be registered. 
Its a lame law. The FAA thinks writing a registration number in your plane is going to stop all these drone incidents.
So my model aircraft that I fly at a private RC field that doesn't usually get flown more than a 100' in altitude must be registered or I could face a $27000 fine.
All this is driven by non RC hobbiest who go by a autonomous drones fly them in sensitive areas,  cause problems and in the end ruined our hobby.
My point being that RC models flown in visual range via traditional radios got lumped in with drones. I imagine that it would be easy for airguns to one day get lumped in with fire arms.  Some may see major airgun ownership restrictions. Especially with the popularity of high powered big bore airguns. All it would take is some ding dong going on a shooting spree with an airgun.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:10:10 PM by dhc8guru »
  • Texas, San antonio
Air Arms FAC Xtra S510 .22, Airforce Edge
Alfa Proj C02, Hammerli 850,Gamo Compact, Daisy 747,Smith and Wesson 79G, Discovery, Fusion, Walther Lever Action and a bunch of BB pistols.

Offline robertr

• GTA Senior Contributor
I fly an airplane, mostly line of sight but have the fpv equipment for it, also attempt to fly my helicopters. I knew something like this would happen once I saw the videos on Youtube of idiots flying where they shouldn't be flying, it was just a matter of time. Nothing like that yet here in Canada as far as I know.
  • Canada

Offline the1stkim

• Plinker
  • yes
Drone Drone Drone! Not plane or helicopter, Just drone! Just shows you the power of stupid people. Heard a guy at the feed store say "I heard about them drones.Theve been dropping bombs on people"
  • Houston, Texas
FX MAVERICK .30
FX IMPACT 30
FX IMPACT .25
LCS SK-19 .25
Hatsan BT65 .25
Benjamin Marauder.25
Benji NPXL 1100 Tuned and Custom Trigger
Airforce Texan .45 4500 PSI
FX Radar
ATN nightsite 4k

Offline robertr

• GTA Senior Contributor
If you are flying fpv it does not matter if it is a plane or helicopter , if it is by fpv I believe it is a drone.
  • Canada

Offline Bubba Zanetti

• A.K.A. "The Yank"
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
First, I feel for you hobbyists who love doing this activity.

Second, don't turn this into a typical 'anti-government' political thread. Look at this logically. Robertr nailed it, when a portion of drone enthusiasts post videos on youtube or as I have witnessed on the nightly news, do certain activities with their drones and then are callous enough during an interview to say "There are no laws against me flying my drone here, besides this is a free country I'm going to do what I want to do!" That sort of attitude just begs for scrutiny whether it is needed or not.

Third, don't look at this law as and end, but a beginning. Chat with and join a local RC drone club if not already in one and write your local and national legislature reps. and express your concerns in a clear way. Become ambassadors to your passion. Take time to educate the non-drone people the what, where and why you love doing this activity. If you chat on a drone forum or run one, think about 'self policing' the ranks. If you have one of the youtube/ nightly news jokers can their butts! Yeah its harsh, but one of the lost virtues in our country is 'integrity'-virtue of character. Love them or hate them, take a page from the GTA rules. There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law and the spirit of the GTA rules is personal integrity. You all know what would happen if we had someone acting irresponsibly with an AG on this forum. Thats the reason why the rules are in place. The gun club I grew up in had similar rules. Act the fool you got booted. Find out you have been poaching deer, caring a gun without a permit, incessant anti gov'mint talk? Bye! Bye! It worked. The jokers either fell back in line or found out its lonely when you want to act that way. I guess another way to put it is: If you want to value yourself so much so over others, you don't really want to belong to a community and its time they become a community of one.

Fourth, sorry for ranting myself LOL! ;). I just don't want to see you who enjoy this hobby get more scrutiny and hope it can be alleviated in some way.

Also, I am not trying to close this thread down. I know we all need to vent from time to time, I just did ;). Lets vent productively LOL!

BZ
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:58:02 AM by Bubba Zanetti »
  • Delaware
"Terminate Starlings...with extreme prejudice".

Air Arms S500 HFT
BAM-50 .177 (Lemmy, from Motorhead)
1970 Racine Sheridan .20 cal Mac1 Steroid
Drozd Bumblebee on HPA
Crosman 150 X 2
Crosman 113
Crosman 111
Umarex M712
Beeman P3

Offline Springrrrr

• Expert
  • no
I live on a golf course and fly a drone when no one is playing.  It is a cheapie (about $100) and may fall outside the law which stated a drone that weighed more than 1/2 pound had to be registered.  I may weigh in but I doubt mine makes the grade.  One other thing, I never take it above 50 feet.

A hatred for them has developed due to the idiots.  My wife watched a group of model airplane enthusiasts flying one day and merely mentioned my drone and they went nuts.  Just imagine if powder burner enthusiasts started professing those same feelings toward air gunners.  Each time I hear about some jerk shooting something he or she shouldn't with an air gun, I shudder simply because it is just one step closer to the inevitable.
  • Loudon Tennessee
Quiet guns, loud guns, motorcycles and a good golf swing just to keep it going.
I am, therefore I plink.

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Honestly, at first it costs nothing then $5. To comply all you have to do is stick a number on the thing. Anything under half a pound is exempt. Seems like no big deal.
Let it be a warning and an incentive. Join and RC club, talk to legislators. Honestly, mandatory insurance might just be the best thing for it. It would be cheap and yet enough work to keep the jerks out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:29:49 AM by StevenG »
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
This isn't an anti government rant.. Well kinda. More of I hate media and an un-knowledgeable public forcing the government to make stupid rules. I'm mad at the government for coming up with a solution that will probably end up not being a solution. I want them to actually do something meaningful. It is a hassle for me to go put I.D numbers in 30 RC aircraft that in the end means nothing.
Only one of my planes could be possible considered a "drone" and all it can do that is autonomous is in an emergency like Loss of signal, return to home and circle overhead. I hate the saying drone which technically only applies to fully autonomous aircraft. FPV does not count as a drone your just changing the point of view at which you are seeing the aircraft.
I am a member of the AMA and follow the rules to a "T". Been flying RC for 12 years and belong to two RC clubs. Now every irresponsible person with a $500 laying around is going out buying a quad copter with a camera, flying it off the end of an airport runway just so they can post a youtube video of nearly getting hit by a 737.
What are you gonna do.   
  • Texas, San antonio
Alfa Proj C02, Hammerli 850,Gamo Compact, Daisy 747,Smith and Wesson 79G, Discovery, Fusion, Walther Lever Action and a bunch of BB pistols.

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
I got lost in my own rant and really I just wanted to point out that it amazes me how one little invention can destroy a hobby and just wanted to point out that it could easily happen to airgunning. Don't think it can't. The RC community never imagined it would have happened and it did. 
  • Texas, San antonio

Offline Bubba Zanetti

• A.K.A. "The Yank"
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
I got lost in my own rant and really I just wanted to point out that it amazes me how one little invention can destroy a hobby and just wanted to point out that it could easily happen to airgunning. Don't think it can't. The RC community never imagined it would have happened and it did.

Totally agree, Tom. You nailed it in your 2nd to last post, which stated: "Now every irresponsible person with a $500 laying around is going out buying a quad copter with a camera, flying it off the end of an airport runway just so they can post a youtube video of nearly getting hit by a 737."

That kind of idiocy is going to elicit a reaction from the populace and in the end, a government agency.

BZ
  • Delaware
"Terminate Starlings...with extreme prejudice".

Air Arms S500 HFT
BAM-50 .177 (Lemmy, from Motorhead)
1970 Racine Sheridan .20 cal Mac1 Steroid
Drozd Bumblebee on HPA
Crosman 150 X 2
Crosman 113
Crosman 111
Umarex M712
Beeman P3

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Anyone fly RC aircraft? What do you think of the new drone registration?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »

That invention happened a long time ago, now it just got cheap enough for the public.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline robertr

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »

That invention happened a long time ago, now it just got cheap enough for the public.
Then sombody figured out they could put cheap wireless security cam systems on their aircraft, fpv was born. Fpv is fun though,just have to be responsible. Can use fpv on ground vehicles too.
  • Canada

Offline Verminstalker

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
I started into RC with off road cars & trucks 20 years ago and recently got into the small helicopters and what is now the infamous "DRONE". Funny about 2-3 years ago they were known as quad-copters. Someone decided to group quads along with the military strike drones like grouping military M16s with civilian AR15s. The idea of a camera on-board makes for some really interesting video from perspectives not normally seen unless you were filming from an aircraft. I think my quad-copter is under a 1/2 pound though but the point being something that is a very useful tool always ends up being used with bad intentions and like others here have said, it ruins it for the 99% of us that are just enjoying a hobby not bothering anyone.

If it gets worse, you can be sure that there will be protests by ignorant citizens and a reaction by government that will be similar to strict gun laws with fees, background checks and registration. Wish all the troublemakers would just go live on their own little island and leave the rest of us in peace.
  • USA, OH, Newark

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »
how much does it cost to register?  What other restrictions are involved?
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline dhc8guru

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
how much does it cost to register?  What other restrictions are involved?

free for a month then $5 every three years..So obviously this probably just offsets the FAA's cost to organize the register. No other restrictions.
The FAA says that by doing this will give people a sense of responsibility and ownership. I can see that. But the reality is a number written inside an RC aircraft isn't going to be readable after it gets ingested into a jet engine.
  • Texas, San antonio

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »
The .gov just's wants more money. It is not anti government to gripe about a stupid law or fee's.  What they should do is use the NSA to  copy all the wireless vid from drones and track down the perps.  Don't forget CB radio once had a fee and license , so many people ignored it they finally dropped it all. If they can put a electronic serial # on my PD handheld then they can do it to all new RC equip. and not bother people but that would not generate fines. Gee that guy modified his drone at his house so lets seize his whole home. Please don't think this is off track or anti anything it is just the progression of events.
  • mio mi.

Offline Tarasdad

• Shooter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
I won't be registering anytime soon. The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) has a pending lawsuit over the FAA's 'Interpretive Rule' regarding Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, wherein the FAA declared that RC models were in fact aircraft just like any other and thus open to regulation just like any other aircraft. That is in direct opposition to the language and intent of Section 336, which forbids the FAA from promulgating any rule or regulation regarding model aircraft. This new registration rule should never have been created until the challenge to their 'Interpretive Rule' is settled. Not to mention that implementing the registration rule will require millions of dollars which are not in the FAA budget, nor do they have authority to redirect or requisition any additional funds for such a program.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:26:20 PM by Tarasdad »
  • California City, California

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
As technology evolves and folks find them self able to trespass into others property or space ...  there has to be consequences to those who choose to violate privacy laws already in place.
Then there is the MORAL obligation we in this modern society seem to be losing a grasp with that there are no borders, all freedoms are to be taken as rights etc etc .....

Sadly, so long as folks can they will ... rob, steal, make poor judgement calls, peep on others on and on ... it is the human condition sadly.

Register these drones ... Yup, along with being able to shoot them down when violating property or controlled air space tracking down the registered owner and prosecuting them.

Hard line, but only way we protect our self's on so many fronts  :P :P :P
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline PGunner

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
A way to get into your pocket.
A way to impose control over you.
A way for idiots to ruin it for the rest of us.
It's to bad so few can ruin it for the rest of us.

And you can threw lasers in there too.
  • USA. Leesburg Fl.
Most of my guns shoot better than I do.

Offline cpt_sfc

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 10:38:54 PM »
Sir Robert Peel father of policing. Police are not to do the job of citizens but only assist them in the process. We have abdicated that to the .GOV. I agree a black eye or a shot down drone is appropriate. There used to be a common saying DON'T MAKE A FEDERAL CASE OUT OF IT. I think we should give up the currant social experiment and go back to what worked and sort out what did not.
  • mio mi.