GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

On a UTG 3-9x40 AO Mil-dot scope, at what power are the dots 1 mil apart?

(1/2) > >>

Earl:
On a UTG 3-9x40 AO Mil-dot scope, at what power are the dots 1 mil apart?
I assumed 9x, but 10 mils only measures about 8.5 dots, not 10 dots like it should.
I am using 10 mils at 50 yards is 18 inches.

TwiceHorn:
According to the manual it is the highest power.  All reticles are not created equal.

Also, for calculation/milling purposes, I think you are probably better off trying to see what 1.8 inches is at 50 yards rather than 18. Or 3.6 or something only spanning 1-2-3 mildots.  Or something you are realistically trying to bracket (1.5" killzone, although the length of a cinder block (15.625) is getting in that range).

You're never going to have an 18" holdover, or even half that, and spanning 10 mils probably exaggerates/averages the error in the reticle.  A 12 fpe .177 gun has a drop of 2.5-3 mil at 55 yards, depending, so that is probably a realistic span to figure out.

Earl:
I was just using 18 inches to check the scope and reticle.
There should be 10 dots in 18 inches at 50 yards at 9x, but at 9x there are only 8.5 dots in 18 inches.

TwiceHorn:

--- Quote from: epeyton on August 17, 2017, 10:16:34 PM ---I was just using 18 inches to check the scope and reticle.
There should be 10 dots in 18 inches at 50 yards at 9x, but at 9x there are only 8.5 dots in 18 inches.

--- End quote ---

I understand.  This is one of the several things that can separate very high dollar optics from less than high dollar optics. 

It's still very usable, though.  The best way to do holdovers if you want to be super precise is to shoot the distance and measure the drop using your mil-dots at the desired magnification.  That way, whether the mil dots are actually milliradians doesn't matter, as long as they are the same every time, which I think even the cheapest scope manages to pull off.

Using the span of mils over 10 mil dots leads to the assumption, that's probably good, that each dot subtends 1.2 mils.  But, that may not actually be the case, as the first one may subtend 1.1 and the second 1.3, and so on, if you see where I'm going.

The most rigorous use of mil dots probably occurs in hunter field target, where almost everyone shoots at 12x on 10x-calibrated dots and empirical data versus calculated data always carries the day.

Earl:
The dots on my UTG 3-9x40 AO Mil-dot scope are 1.18 mills apart at 9x.
The dots should be 1.00 mil apart at 9x.
My indoor range is 18 yards and I can read a yardstick at that distance at 9x.
At 9x at 18 yards, 20 dots cover 15.4 inches = 1.18 mils per dot.
At 9x at 18 yards, 20 dots SHOULD cover 13.0 inches = 1.00 mil per dot.
That is 18% off.
I think even a $100 scope should be closer than 18% off.
What do you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version