Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: JuryRigger's Lathe Build Log  (Read 549 times))

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
  • Chasing down 2 MOA @ 100 yds with a springer
JuryRigger's Lathe Build Log
« on: May 18, 2021, 08:22:33 PM »
   Starting this thread instead of adding to another thread about an ACP I intend to build...
For some time now; I have been working on building a small lathe-it will have about 3" of swing over the carriage and roughly 18" between centers; and I am trying to make it from as few store-bought components as possible; with hand tools and a drill press. So far; it appears all that I will need to purchase is a piece of all-thread for the leadscrew; and some pan head cap screws.
The bed I made some time ago while I had access to a welder-it is a piece of .5" x 3" cold rolled steel bar; plug welded to a piece of 1" x 2" bar; 24" long. All other parts are cut and filed by hand mostly from 1/2" or 3/8" mild steel plate and bar scraps that I have collected; along with several pieces of bearing bronze that I saved from the scrap bin...

The headstock is not quite what I originally intended; but the task of boring out and scraping in split block bearings from my extremely limited and precious bronze supply proved too daunting... And I reverted to some cheap .5" shaft 2-bolt flange bearings that I had laying around; which in a preliminary test cut made with everything clamped together proved to be quite rigid and relatively smooth... Drive will be by countershaft from miniature V-belt step pulleys from that will be turned from stacked 1/2" nylon flat stock; again saved from the garbage bin... If I can manage it later; I even have a gear set rescued from an old hammer drill that will make a backgear of about 1:3 final reduction... The carriage cross slide is moved with a 1/4-20 stud pulled off an old lawnmower engine; and the carriage feed itself will be from a 3/8-16 threaded rod by a split nut and carriage crank wormwheel.
Finishing this project will take some time; a lot of details are being sorted out as I go and some parts are not even designed yet... I intend to scrape in all sliding surfaces; which will be quite a task in of itself.
I will update with pics as I go; progress will be slow due to limited playtime and primitive methods, so hang in there  ;)
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
When the world had fallen
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
where the dark has fallen
and the seed is sown...
Agenda 2021-for those who understand it, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible.
"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them back together in shapes of your own choosing"-Orwell
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
Re: JuryRigger's Lathe Build Log
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »
The very beginning-

Overall view of carriage-

Close-ups of carriage-

Updated overall view with headstock-

Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...
Agenda 2021-for those who understand it, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible.
"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them back together in shapes of your own choosing"-Orwell

Online Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:36:14 PM »
nice , the good news is once a chuck is mounted, you can make more parts for the lathe.  I see after rereading you already tested those headstock bearings.. cool project, a lot of pateience.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:38:59 PM by Rob M »
  • Louisiana

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
No kidding.... Not having ANY machine tools past a tired old drill press is a hassle.  :(
If and when this is ever finished; a hand-powered shaper is next....
Need to snap a pic of my test piece; mind you I had to tap the carriage along with a stick to "turn" it while revving up the hand drill I was spinning things with, cutting being done by a 3/4" triangle carbide insert with one corner broken off that I picked up bolted down on top of whatever fit under it, LOL...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline sb327

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »
Excellent stuff right here!!!!

Keep your determination, Iíll be cheering from here.

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:49:16 PM »
Thanks Dave!
Here's pics of my test piece; it's a steel spacer of some kind 1 1/16" OD that I "bolted" onto the shaft by extending it out further and clamping with a nut and washer... Think DOC was about .010"-.015"; there is a very faint chatter in spots but that was when I didn't keep the "feed" going fast enough... Also tried plunging a few times; stopped when the chatter started-the insert I used has roughly an .035" tip radius so am pleased with the depth/width of the plunge...
It feels smoother than it looks; and a "caliper check" (2 points-not exactly a good test) showed it as round...
Jesse

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:53:15 PM by JuryRigger »
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
Whew... Getting a warning to be sure that I want to post, since the thread is over 120 days old...  :o
But-still alive. Now that the sun is setting early, getting some time to spend out in the shed working on projects. No pics (yet); but finally got some parts that I had a start on fit together-now have a 3/8-16 "leadscrew" and the right-hand bearing block, and bronze bearing nut. Have no way to bore a hole accurately enough to press fit a bronze bushing; plus then I would have had to turn down the all-thread rod-which I did not want to do; so instead I used a .5" piloted counterbore that I have, and created a .3125" (? been awhile) deep recess in the 1/2" bar stock bracket, polished it out as smooth as I could get without disturbing the geometry; and then proceeded to make my bronze bearing nut... I took a small block of bearing bronze about a half-inch thick, and drilled and tapped it 3/8-16. I then chucked up a matching stud in the drill press, threaded my block on, and went to town with my roto-tool and a burr bit. I clamped the rotary tool down, and stroked the block with the quill while running the spindle as slow as I could-after a short while, I got it nicely parallel-sided, to just a bit over hole size, with a quite pretty hammered-looking finish. I then took it down the rest of the way with a file, until my bearing bracket was a nice slip fit over it-so far it looks like it will work. Have the bracket made for the headstock end, just need to square up the end of the bed, drill and tap for the bracket, and make another bearing nut-then I'll officially have screw feed in both axis... Then I'll have to start finishing up the headstock (not nearly as nice a unit as I first intended for this build-but could always upgrade later); and wrap up the fine details (LOL) like the drive system; handwheels, and then the final scraping in and alignments-then it's down to accessories-like a steady rest, tailstock, chucks, and the like.
Jesse 
Oh-and to clarify my post on the test piece above-the total stock removal was around .010"-.015"-so the actual DOC was around .005"-.008"... My bad  :-[
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:44:23 AM »
Start of the next bearing nut:

Will 'turn' it down tomorrow-with pics of the process, haven't included any of those yet, then you'll get to see just why I chose my username  ;D
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
then you'll get to see just why I chose my username  ;D
Jesse

Heck, I always thought it was a courtroom thing.

Nice work by the way.
  • N. San Diego County, CA

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 12:57:03 AM »
Heck, I always thought it was a courtroom thing.

Nice work by the way.
Never been in a courtroom-never hope to be...  ;)
And thanks :D
So, finished up the bearing nut today; started by threading it against a jam nut, with the stud a bit shy of the bottom so that I could file it flat. I got everything set up; then started by running the quill up and down, rotating the spindle by hand to knock off the corners:

Got the corners knocked off; started the spindle up, and worked my way in until things cleaned up:

The counterbore that it is meant to fit measured in at .502"; so I took it down to .505"  and then switched to a file. Kept trying the fit; got it to where it was just still a mite grabby; and then ran it in under power. Still a bit stiff; but I'd rather try to polish out the CB more.

Need to square up the end of the bed, then drill & tap for the bracket; and I'll be able to try a few test cuts with screw feed.
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
No pics, but got the bed drilled and tapped for the leadscrew bracket last night-works like it should. Now to try another test piece...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 07:48:09 PM »
OK-I'm happy  ;D
Got everything rigged-up for another test cut; grabbed a worn 1/8" carbide cutoff insert and went to town on another large steel spacer of some kind 1 1/2" in diameter...
And was able to plunge it straight in with no perceptible or visible chatter 3/8" away from the headstock bearings...  :D
So, moved out to 3/4"... Only the faintest trace showing in the cut...  :D :D
Moved out again, to 1 3/8".......
Only beginning to see/feel any real chatter-and even then it is barely there   8)
Then the big mystery steel spacer that I was using broke loose, and I stalled the Milwaukee 1/2 drill that I was using to drive the spindle, ripped it out of my hand and levered the whole lathe in the air...  :o ::) :P
But-it didn't even knock anything out of alignment...  ;D
So-now I know that it will handle some decent cuts, but I have another problem...
I don't have a big enough motor to drive it  ;)
Will add pics later, if the site will let me  ::)
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline sb327

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »
What size swing do you have? Canít remember.

I REALLY like using treadmill motors on my home built machines. I even use one on my Bport and my large drill press.

You think you could scrounge up an old treadmill?

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Will swing 3" over the carriage and cross slide, and 5" over the bed... When it comes time, I'll try to dig up an old treadmill; as the low-speed torque would be very nice to have.
About to try and load pics...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline sb327

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:47 PM »
If you canít come up with one, let me know, weíll get you fixed up.

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Thanks Dave-that is most generous! I'll get back with you if I end up stuck; not too worried about motors just yet as there is lots to be done on the lathe itself still... (Scraping, alignment, fine details, other parts)
Here's the pics; I forgot to rotate the spindle to show the other side of the last groove, not just where it crashed; but you can still see how smooth it is up near the top-

Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 10:45:56 PM »
Did some finishing work on the leadscrew nuts, filed wrench flats on them and made a thin wrench to fit out of some 1/8" flat stock.
Have to address the left-hand bearing block and nut, as there is some cumulative binding as though the nut face is not entirely square, along with the bracket... Binds up in one spot in the rotation, with no axial play-at the loose area in the rotation, there is axial play...
Also tried milling on a block for the heck of it; used a keyed chuck to hold a 1/4" endmill to cut a slot 1/16" deep, worked but far from rigid enough to achieve anything useable... A better setup might make it possible, but a milling attachment will not be in the accessory list.
Unsure of what to tackle next... Either the toolpost, or chuck shopping so that I can decide just how I'm going to finish the spindle...
Hum...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »
Got the left-hand leadscrew bearing bind issue (mostly) fixed; was a combination of the nut not being quite square and the leadscrew being slightly bent-still has some wobble in it, but will save the full straightening for the final assembly and lineup (if I can, as it appears to be a corkscrew twist and will be very hard to remove). Currently working on a final design for the compound slide and toolpost; think that I am pretty close to finished with the design work so can start on the actual construction tomorrow.
Beginning to shop around for tooling...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...

Offline OTmachine

• Sharp Shooter
  • it'll shine when it shines
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 11:23:31 PM »
Interesting build, but what I do not understand is;  that you, living in one of the biggest machinery graveyards in the U.S., would not just buy some vintage American Lathe?  Guess that you just wanted a challenge.  Just wondering.  No offense intended.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:30:21 PM by OTmachine »
  • USA, Central WI

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 01:27:21 AM »
No offense taken, it's a legitimate question... Short answer, is cash. I did look around a few years back, but it was still going to set me back several hundred dollars (if not a thousand or more after tooling up) to get a decent machine... Currently, will be able to keep things down to maybe a hundred, hundred and fifty, if I am careful. Long answer, that decent machine would have been bigger than I could handle, as for whatever reason smaller lathes command higher prices-likely due to the same issues that I have, space. Have no room for anything bigger than benchtop size, and since my bench space is limited I must be able to lift and move it... But, there's more than that-my workshop is a unheated dirt-floored shed-one can imagine the issues that are inherent with that. Lastly, I did want the challenge-I enjoy building things, and am somewhat enamoured with the old ways of chipping, filing, and scraping in precision parts and tools by hand-so it was a perfect project for me.
If I had a nice shop with the space, I would pony up the cash and have some noble old workhorse tucked away for restoration and joyful use, as you simply cannot beat good, old American iron from years gone by...
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
to the depths below
Where the future's open
and the fear has grown
Where the path to follow
to the Great Unknown
and the seed is sown...