GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Engineering- Research & Development

t6 tube or pipe

(1/2) > >>

gilg:
I am planning to order t6 aluminum for making into reservoirs for my airgun,should I order the pipe or the tube? Online metals says pipe is for passageway and tube is structural,but also says pipe is more rigid. Another question, if I order the tube, is a wall thickness of .125" safe to use for 3000psi? or get the pipe at schedule 40(.13" wall thickness? My gun currently has a 1.125"OD steel reservoir.
Thanks

Pete:
I would assume you mean 6061 T6 ?
The T6 is temper rate ... It's the 4 digits in front the tell the story...

JerryW:
Personally, I would use 2024 aluminum tube rather than 6061. It's about 50% stronger.

There is a good online calculator for pressure vessel material: http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/shell_internal_pres_pop.htm
Find the strength of the material you plan to use and plug in the numbers. The pressure capacity is based on inside diameter, wall thickness and the rated strength of the material.

I would use at least a 3:1 safety factor - design for 3+ times the expected reservoir pressure.

If any of this doesn't make sense to you, think about letting someone knowledgeable do it for you.

Safety first, this stuff can kill you if done wrong!!!

Jerry

rsterne:
I wouldn't use Shed. 40 pipe, it's not designed for use at the pressures you will be running.... Without a diameter, the wall thickness means nothing in terms of calculating the MSWP....

Bob

gilg:
Thanks for your responses guys!
6061 T6 is commonly used here in the Philippines in different diameters as reservoirs for PCP's.I have a steel reservoir in my AG but it weighs in at 4.5kg with a 17" barrel and I am planning to replace the barrel with a longer one so I am looking to lighten my airgun with the aluminum reservoir. I say commonly used but I am not sure if it has been thoroughly researched scientifically.
Here is my airgun;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version