GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Engineering- Research & Development

Barrel Replacement

(1/1)

uncle paulie:
Thinking of replacing the barrel on an XL with a LW barrel but am unsure of the method for removal and replacing the barrels from the breech block.

pv

Rescue912:
I've done it on other Crosman and RWS breakbarrels. Not for the faint of heart  8)

What I did was remove barrel & block from the compression tube and cut barrel off about 2" above block. Reamed  the barrel out until it was no more than 1/8" thick then bake to about 450 degrees. Once it comes out of the oven I put it in a vice (leather wrapped to keep warm and to not mar with vice jaws) and then put a pipe wrench on the barrel and turn it. At that point they usually break free.

If that doesn't break them free then I turn a mandrel for a air hammer, heat breech block up again and drive barrel out. Installation is similar - heat block, freeze barrel that has just a slight interference fit and jam them together. Usually have to machine the end of the barrel before reassembly for the breech seal.

Very do-able, just gotta wanna ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version