GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

Reshaping a wood stock

<< < (2/3) > >>

KWK:
I don't know how much stock you want to remove but 100 grit on a block by hand cuts faster than you might think. Talking high quality sandpaper here. Norton 3X 100 is the best paper I have ever used for this. It really blows away any other sandpaper I have ever used. It's hard to find but well worth it. 3M and others engage in price wars in the box stores. You get the product that gains the most profit and not necessarily the best performance.
Search out some Norton 3X and try it. I get it on eBay for a good price and stock up so I have it. I use it for professional use so it matters.
60 grit on a power sander will eat it up pronto. And leave nasty scratches to sand out.
 This is the product. But not where I buy it. I don't waste my money on any other 100 grit.    https://www.uspaintsupply.com/sandpaper/norton-3x-sandpaper/

dan_house:
definitely use a LONG block

USing an orbital sander will create dips in the wood thatll create more work

the long block will help prevent that. Go slow, check frequently and be patient

Gear_Junkie:
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I reworked the stock over the weekend.  I really wish I had some of the higher quality sandpaper.  I started with 60 grit and worked my way to 200 grit with the orbital sander.  I took over 3 hours  :P  I measured the difference with calipers before I started. One side of the stock was actually over 5mm thicker than the other side.  I got it down to about a 2mm difference and then figured it was good enough.  It's still noticeable, but you really have to look closely at it to see it.  I finished up using a long block to make sure I didn't end up with any dips.  It came out pretty good - not perfect, but good enough.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

sb327:
Good deal, glad it worked for you.

Not sure if you know this trick. Rub it down with a damp rag and let dry. This will pull up the loose fiber that’s been pushed into the grain. It will feel rough after doing this.  Lightly sand and repeat until it stays smooth after the damp/dry cycle.

Dave

Gear_Junkie:
Thanks Dave.  There are 2 cracks/checks in the stock that need to be filled.  I installed 1 coat of Royal London oil because I wanted it to seep deep into the cracks.  I can feel the raised grain in places on the stock.  I now plan to add more RLO at the cracks and then lightly sand these areas with 400 grit paper in hopes of filling the cracks.  After this dries I'll then lightly sand the entire stock and install another coat.  Lastly, I'll repeat these last 2 steps for the third and final coat. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version