GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

Reshaping a wood stock

(1/3) > >>

Gear_Junkie:
I just received a new stock that I would like to reshape a bit.  Thankfully I bought it unfinished.  The inletting is off-center a bit and one side of the stock is about 3 to 4mm thicker than the other.  I would like to sand it down to match the other side.  I'm hoping for some ideas on how to do this without screwing up the stock.  I probably don't have the appropriate tools to make this an easy process.  The only thing I have is an orbital sander. 

I'm thinking of using the sander starting with 100grit paper to remove the majority of the excess wood and then switching to 200 grit when I get close.  Would this process be too aggressive?  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

sb327:
I would start with 60 grit if you have it available. Otherwise, you may be there awhile.

Dave

Gear_Junkie:

--- Quote from: sb327 on September 14, 2022, 01:00:10 PM ---I would start with 60 grit if you have it available. Otherwise, you may be there awhile.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Good idea, I will get some.

Thanks!

avator:
I would check to make sure any mounting screws remain centered.

Gear_Junkie:

--- Quote from: avator on September 14, 2022, 01:21:00 PM ---I would check to make sure any mounting screws remain centered.

--- End quote ---

Good point, thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version