Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Joined the German Airgun Club!  (Read 746 times))

Offline ScottJ

• Shooter
  • yes
Joined the German Airgun Club!
« on: August 03, 2022, 06:55:53 PM »
HW50S .177 arrived last Friday.  Very nice.  I've never even seen or laid hands on one until I unboxed this one.  I was a little apprehensive the cocking feel/effort might be a thing, but nope, it's very smooth and easy to cock.  After the first few dozen shots it wasn't any problem to initiate the cocking stroke with either hand while sitting in a chair.  No slapping was required.

I only shot enough to learn that, marvel at the trigger feel & pull, and determine that as nice as the open sights might be, I need a scope.  A Leapers 3-12x32 Bugbuster with side ao adjustments and accu shot 1-piece integrated  offset base & rings arrived today.  I'd laid the HW50 side by side with a Dragonfly that's got the same mount and a 3-9 Bugbuster, checked lengths of pull and where my face will be with a scope and decided that combo's going to work fine.  Scoping. It tomorrow.
  • USA New York

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Joined the German Airgun Club!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 07:40:02 PM »
Great choice of gun. If I could only have one it'd be my Hw50. It does everything I might need from an air rifle. That said my favorite air rifle is my Hw30s. My wife and I have three in the house. They get used twice as often as all the others combined. If you'd like something similar that's fun and easier to shoot, try one sometime. The 50 is more well rounded as its got more power for pesting. That's why I say it's the one I'd keep if I could have only one.
Enjoy the gun! Welcome to rabbit hole,uhh I mean club 😀
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
R1-.177 now 0.22 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:19:39 PM »
Great choice of gun. If I could only have one it'd be my Hw50. It does everything I might need from an air rifle. That said my favorite air rifle is my Hw30s. My wife and I have three in the house. They get used twice as often as all the others combined. If you'd like something similar that's fun and easier to shoot, try one sometime. The 50 is more well rounded as its got more power for pesting. That's why I say it's the one I'd keep if I could have only one.
Enjoy the gun! Welcome to rabbit hole,uhh I mean club 😀

Well Ron,

I remember what you referred to that cute redhead as your GF, SO CONGRATULATIONS!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*
Have you already moved to the home of Walmart?

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177, .20, and .22

Offline ScottJ

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:53:49 PM »
I really should have concluded that first post with something like:   "I really appreciate all the information and expertise you've all shared to help me arrive at my decision that the 50 was the right choice, even though you didn't know you were doing it because I wasn't yet joined up to GTA."

Ron:  I really didn't consider the 30 due to its size.  My wife has zero interest in shooting, and I'm 6'1" with long arms and XL hands, so I think the 50's dimensions are a better fit for me.
  • USA New York

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 06:15:31 AM »
Always puts a smile on my face when reading of someones first experience with a Weihrauch trigger.
  • Nebraska
attitude
not aptitude
determines altitude

Offline EMrider

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
I really should have concluded that first post with something like:   "I really appreciate all the information and expertise you've all shared to help me arrive at my decision that the 50 was the right choice, even though you didn't know you were doing it because I wasn't yet joined up to GTA."

Ron:  I really didn't consider the 30 due to its size.  My wife has zero interest in shooting, and I'm 6'1" with long arms and XL hands, so I think the 50's dimensions are a better fit for me.

Congrats.  The hw50s in .177 is the gun I reach for most often.  An excellent overall package that should give you decades of enjoyment. 
R
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Beeman R7, .177, P. Watts tune
Beeman R7, .177, R. Hawkins tune
AA pro sport, .177, R. Hawkins tune, Vortek kit 11fpe
HW97k, .177 JM kit, 12fpe
HW50S, .177 Vortek kit 10.5fpe
HW50S, .177 JM kit 11.2fpe
FWB300s, .177 circa 1974
HW45 pistol, .177
Crosman 1720t, .177, 14fpe hunter setup
Benjamin Marauder, .22, WAR SSG, MMHF barrel
Taipan Veteran short, .22

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »

That's a common thought process about the Hw30s. They work for some and not for others. I'm almost 6'4" 250 with ridiculously long arms and legs. I'm built like a spider and yet have no problems with the 30s. They have a 14" lop which is longer than most adult centerfire rifles and almost all rimfire rifles. The gun is small and light so it does feel somewhat toyish. I have to say the 50s do feel better in my hands but have no problems with the smaller 30s. In fact I do much better offhand with the 30s than any other rifle. That's just me.

There's a thread here about a plinkers kit for the Hw50 that I think is a great option for the 50 if you don't need the all of its power. You could also just clip a coil or two from the standard spring and wind up with power levels somewhere between full and the plinkers kit. I think an easier cocking Hw50 would be the ultimate backyard fun gun for those who don't like the size of the 30s. The higher cocking effort on the 50 is the biggest factor keeping me from shooting it as much as my 30s. Since I occasionally pest with the 50 and enjoy shooting my 30s I leave my 50 at full power.

Enjoy the new gun.
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Online Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 11:43:19 AM »
So for all the HW50 owners who also have HW30/R7 and HW95/R9 experience, I have a question.

The 50 is the only Weihrauch springer I don’t have any experience with at all. From what I gather the cocking stroke is basically the same as the 95/R9, assuming that is the case, why not just go 95/R9. Is the 50 really that much smaller and lighter then a 95/R9??  From my perspective the 30/R7 is super compact and nimble and while the 95/R9 is much bigger it’s still a fairly nimble handling air rifle. Is the 50 really more like an up powered 30????

Congrats on the new toy I am absolutely sure you will love it. Just take the time to learn it. 

Offline jccams

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »
So for all the HW50 owners who also have HW30/R7 and HW95/R9 experience, I have a question.

The 50 is the only Weihrauch springer I don’t have any experience with at all. From what I gather the cocking stroke is basically the same as the 95/R9
The difference is the cocking stroke on the 95 feels the same during the motion and the 50 gets harder as it nears the end, if that makes sense.
  • Hamburg, MI

Online Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
It does make sense but is the proverbial juice worth the squeeze?  What makes the 50 a Goldilocks?  Now keep in mind I’m not disagreeing with that sentiment just trying to figure out if I need to add one to the collection because………well the first step is admitting you have a problem…………I am not on the first step. :)

Offline follownoone

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 01:23:49 PM »
You will like the new rifle. As others mentioned I have two R7's and they are my favorite for just having fun. The HW50 is just as accurate and at longer distances it has a flatter trajectory. I used to always say if I had to choose one it would be the R7 but I am not so sure anymore as I really like the HW50 and feel fortunate to own both and not have to choose between them.

You will be surprised at the accuracy even at 40-50 yards.
  • USA,  PA,  Jamestown

Offline DanD

• Nod and smile.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • A solid maybe
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 01:47:44 PM »
It does make sense but is the proverbial juice worth the squeeze?  What makes the 50 a Goldilocks?  Now keep in mind I’m not disagreeing with that sentiment just trying to figure out if I need to add one to the collection because………well the first step is admitting you have a problem…………I am not on the first step. :)

It all depends on what you want and like in an airgun. When i mainly hunted, I thought the R9 was near prefect.  Now that I mostly plink, the 50S hits the spot (and it can hunt, too). R7s are lovely but a little smaller than I prefer so I don't shoot mine much.

The 50S is shorter and lighter than the 95, just a well balanced, has less noise and recoil, but still has enough size and pop to feel like a serious rifle. Cocking effort is easy enough to shoot all day. It's really perfect for me.
  • Binghamton, NY

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 04:28:48 PM »

The 50 is the only Weihrauch springer I don’t have any experience with at all. From what I gather the cocking stroke is basically the same as the 95/R9, assuming that is the case, why not just go 95/R9. Is the 50 really that much smaller and lighter then a 95/R9??  From my perspective the 30/R7 is super compact and nimble and while the 95/R9 is much bigger it’s still a fairly nimble handling air rifle. Is the 50 really more like an up powered 30????

Congrats on the new toy I am absolutely sure you will love it. Just take the time to learn it.
My first weihrauch was a 177 Hw95. I still have it. It's a great full sized gun and it's a frigging Lazer beam. My second Weihrauch was a Hw30. I fell in love with that gun on day one. I have the most fun with it over any gun. After hearing all the hoopla here about the Hw50 I bought one in 177 just to see for myself. I certainly don't regret it. I still love my 95 and my 30s are still my favorite but I grab my 50 anytime I want to take a walk with a gun. It's light and small enough to comfortably carry, shoulders and points well and has enough power to do what I need it to do.

My Hw95 with scope is 9.05 lbs.
My Hw50 with scope is 7.53 lbs.

The pound and half and the shorter length is so worth it to me in the woods or shooting offhand. I'd say you need a 50 if either of these uses are important to you. If you're strictly bench shooting you'll still enjoy a 50 but could probably live without it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:31:48 PM by Bayman »
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 03:53:48 AM »
What makes the 50 a Goldilocks?

Balance and feel.  Just right.
  • USA

Online Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »
Appreciate all the insight. Apologies for the thread hijack.

Offline ScottJ

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 11:47:35 AM »
@Cslinger No worries, that discussion seems a natural follow-on to why I got the 50, and might help the next person googling "HW50 vs HW_ _" while trying to decide which one to buy.  A REAL hijack would be saying how much you always wanted a 50 but couldn't never afford it but can now if you can just get that Rolex Uncle Buck willed to you sold, then opening the bidding.

My scope mount plan went sideways yesterday after finding out the UTG 33-12x32 side focus will absolutely not work with the UTG 1-piece cantilever mount I got for it.  The bottom of the turret housing (right term?) isn't flat like current generation front focus Bugbuster's.  Those fit that same mount with a good 2mm of daylight between mount & scope.  The side focus scope won't even rest in the rings because the bottom of the housing is sitting on the mount.  Emailed Leapers (with pics) to alert them to that issue and see what they mount they recommend but no reply yet.

I could have used individual rings but really like the 1-piece base/rings setup.  So since it's a $20 mount that I can always use for something someday I took a file to it.  And I filed for a long time.  Should have gone straight to the bench grinder.  If anyone needs to see what kind metal that mount's made of, grab a file.  But I got it where the scope fits but it's not artistic, especially after I "blacked" it with a Sharpie. For people with strong stomachs I'll try to post a picture after it's on the gun.
  • USA New York

Online Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 01:26:25 PM »
But I got it where the scope fits but it's not artistic, especially after I "blacked" it with a Sharpie. For people with strong stomachs I'll try to post a picture after it's on the gun.

Someone did, of course, hold your beer while you did this.  :) :P

Hey as long as it works and your happy enjoy the the new Teutonic metal relocation device.  Seriously you will love it. I have yet to be disappointed in a Weihrauch rifle and I am fairly confident you will love that 50s.

My first was a .22 HW30S that I had out last night and almost 20 years later that little “BB gun” still puts a smile on this “gun guy/powder burner’s” face. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:28:36 PM by Cslinger »

Offline ScottJ

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 10:58:13 AM »
Got it mounted, pictures to follow if I can figure out how to attach them (struggling at the moment).
  • USA New York

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 15 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airguning
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »
Got it mounted, pictures to follow if I can figure out how to attach them (struggling at the moment).
Here is a help topic. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=191846.0
  • Wisconsin Collins Hunters Paradise" There's a Sign in Town to Prove It :)

Offline ScottJ

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »
I give up
  • USA New York