GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Hunter Class Field Target

Optics For Hunter Field Target

<< < (2/2)

d-cuttler:
I will throw something else into the mix.

I too have been trying to set up a rifle for hunter field target, and while there are many good choices of rifles at a reasonable cost, scopes are another matter.

One of my requirements is to be able to shoot in my basement where I am limited to 9 yards. Many of the scopes that say they will focus down to 10 yards actually won't do it. I think the manufacturers are actually designing for 10 meters, then saying that they will focus to 10 yards. It's a difference of almost 1 yard.

If you have a scope that has a limited depth of field, which is required for good ranging and it won't focus below 10 meters, you will be in trouble.

I think I found the perfect scope for me. I just picked up an unused Nikko Stirling diamond 30mm 4-16x50 with side focus, and an illuminated half mil dot reticle.

I knew I was taking a chance, because the purchase was from an ebay seller who stated no returns.

Much to my surprise it will actually focus down to 8 yards. I just measured it. Also the reticle is razor sharp when illuminated, making it easy to use when viewing black bullseye paper targets indoors.

The glass is clear, and the focus and locking turrets work flawlessly.

It has a 2nd focal plane, which works well for me. I just made a holdover card so I can reduce the magnification down for off hand shooting.

Unfortunately these scopes have been discontinued, but there may be a few left out there.

Dockey 454:
Depending on how serious you are about FT. My Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is an excellent scope. It focuses from 9 to 58 yds. Crystal clear, and the focus snaps in. Problem is it isn't cheap.
  Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version